PDA

View Full Version : Podkopayeva, Miller, Khorkina, who had the best career

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Choupette
05-06-2010, 12:17 AM
One reason I voted for Amanar that hasn't been mentioned so far: she has the vault named after her. I think it's pretty cool to be the AA champion (it's in the books even though I totally agree it was an awful competition), multiple world champions and having been the first to attempt a vault that so few people can do.

judgejudy27
05-06-2010, 12:18 AM
I feel sorry for Phelps though who was such a beautiful gymast, yet her biggest legacy left is probably that horrible looking vault that was named after her.

Choupette
05-06-2010, 01:40 AM
I feel sorry for Phelps though who was such a beautiful gymast, yet her biggest legacy left is probably that horrible looking vault that was named after her.
I don't, a move named after you is still something, and it's not her fault if others tried it and did it badly. It's not like she has had multiple world and Olympic medals and it has all been overshadowed by that vault.

I believe the vault doesn't exist anymore. Almost nobody could do it right.

judgejudy27
05-06-2010, 02:03 AM
Phelps actually did it with nicer form than anyone and yet the judges gave her no credit for it all. She was scored 2 tenths lower on it than someone like Amanar who did it piked. She was such an underrated gymnast and she was totally robbed of the 96 U.S AA title IMO where the judges went out of their way after Miller and Moceanu's mistakes early in optionals (and with Dawes already bombing compulsories) to overscore Miller and underscore Phelps just to make sure Miller came back to win. A non big name as U.S AA Champion would have been too damaging to the teams image I suspect was the thought. I was also dissapointed to see her put up so early in the lineup on every event at the Atlanta Games after her great Nationals and Trials, and Kerri Strug and her fugly form get put up late everywhere, and even last up on 4 of the 8 events. Bela Karolyi politics at its finest.

2sk8
05-06-2010, 02:07 AM
Khorkina due to longevity, but Podkopayeva is def my fave

Choupette
05-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Phelps actually did it with nicer form than anyone and yet the judges gave her no credit for it all.
I don't remember much about the scores, but yes, hers wasn't piked from what I remember.

I don't know what to say about her vault in comparison with Amanar. Maybe Amanar got more distance than Phelps did, and that helped boost her score?

I also liked Gogean's version because she didn't piked it either, but she was doing the half turn really late and I'm not sure that was how it was supposed to be done.

judgejudy27
05-06-2010, 04:13 AM
Amanar definitely had far more power than Phelps on vault. Phelps actually wasnt a powerful vaulter, and Amanar was probably the most powerful vaulter and tumbler in the World at the time. I think just Amanar's form and timing on the vault was so much better it should have atleast made the scores on it alot closer. It is just funny having a vault named after you when you are a top gymnast (well sort of one) and getting really low scores for your own vault, and even much worse than a bunch of gymasts who do it with bad form.

Gogean almost did the vault like a Tsukahara with a half turn and was lucky she even got credited for doing a Phelps. The other vault had only a 9.7 SV while a Phelps had a 10. I think the judges sensed this too as she never scored that highly on it, lower than Amanar usually.

Karina1974
05-07-2010, 04:27 AM
If the American fans had seen Davydova's performances, Davydova would have won hearts. The Commentators would have explained the scoring, and how innovative Davydova was and her comeback story would have been heartwarming.

I was only 5 during the summer of 1980, so I don't remember anything about the 1980 OG (either one). They didn't even show the Summer OG on TV in the US?

I was lucky enough to purchase a video from a poster on another forum containing British TV footage of some of the women's competition, including the AA, and Team Optionals. I LOVE Davydova's Optional FX routine.

1980 Soviet Women Part I (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4uxp3wZUPk)
1980 Soviet WomenPart II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU6hta43xKM&feature=related)
1980 Soviet Women Part III (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8JhJaWlTvM&feature=related)

Karina1974
05-07-2010, 04:33 AM
Wow Bart Conner defended and helped tried to help validate Davydova's Olympic AA title with explanations?

Keep in mind that Bart was already doing TV commentary in 1980 so, of course, he's going to have an opinion. I have a videotape of the 1980 USA vs. China meet, which was shown on NBC, and Bart was doing commentary for that meet.

judgejudy27
05-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Keep in mind that Bart was already doing TV commentary in 1980 so, of course, he's going to have an opinion. I have a videotape of the 1980 USA vs. China meet, which was shown on NBC, and Bart was doing commentary for that meet.

Oh I didnt know that. It is amazing he was doing commentary years before he finished competing.

Karina1974
05-12-2010, 03:38 AM
^^^Yeah, I was rather surprised to see him on that broadcast. I thought all athletes had to wait until after their competitive careers ended before going into commentary.

That tape has quite a few gems on it. It also has the 1977 USA vs. Romania, 1980 OG coverage, 1979 World Cup Event Finals, 1981, 1982, 1984 and 1989 American Cup, 1966 World Championships EF, and IIRC 1979 European's EF (all of these are women's coverage). That is one of my favorite tapes to watch because I really like the style of Uneven bars from that period, before the low bar became little more than an afterthought in the routine, as it did starting in the '90's. Even the routines from the '89 AC were more exciting as compared to the 1991 WC (which I also have -- I bought quite a few tapes from this person I met online).

judgejudy27
05-23-2010, 08:22 PM
On another note I honestly think Khorkina's rise benefited a huge amount by Lilia having to prematurely end her career due to injuries. Khorkina barely won the 97 Worlds AA over Amanar, Produnova, and Gogean in 97 aided by the 9.3s by Gogean and Amanar on bars. No way she beats a healthy Lilia there unless Lilia falls IMO. Then she wins the 98 Europeans even with a fall on vault. At the 99 Worlds she falls apart in the AA but is able to rise back to prominence again in 2000. Come to think of it she might never have reached the top if Lilia had been healthy and stayed in that whole quad. 2000 is the first time Khorkina's gymnastics was really strong enough to challenge Lilia and by then Lilia would have far too much rep for there to be any chance really.