PDA

View Full Version : DWTS 4/19-20: At the Movies

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

bardtoob
04-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Evan was awesome. He is reminding me more and more of Robin Cousins.

orbitz
04-20-2010, 10:36 AM
NYTimes article on DWTS:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/arts/dance/20stars.html

On Evan...

Mr. Lysacek is a task-based performer (tell him what to do and in what order, and heíll deliver) with a beautiful instrument (his body), but his approach, while initially satisfying, loses its gloss because itís mostly about following rules.

On Nicole...

she possesses great line and muscular logic but seems to be gradually losing her luster. After a disappointing rumba, she dabbed tears away. ďThis is me,Ē Ms. Scherzinger said. ďIím an artist. Iím not like other people.Ē

She's never going to live that statement down, :lol:.

Very nice compliments on Pam...

she is a natural performer, with rhythm, an understanding of when to be subtle or fierce and a sense of how movements connect to create a story. And thatís all accomplished with a tongue-in-cheek self-awareness.

Ms. Anderson may be sexual, but that doesnít mean that she is cheap. She doesnít flaunt her sexuality; itís simply a part of her. Bob Fosse would have loved that.

rfisher
04-20-2010, 11:46 AM
I'd laugh and laugh if Pam won. It's going to be interesting to see if more of the young dancers start choreographing for skaters. Mark Ballas has done several since partnering with Kristi. Hopefully, even more will make the connection after this season. While I find Mark and Derek annoying now (they weren't at first), they are both excellent dancers and choreographers.

Next season, I want Maks to have the best, hottest female dancer. It's his turn. :mad:

Cloudy_Gumdrops
04-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Next season, I want Maks to have the best, hottest female dancer. It's his turn. :mad:

I don't know. I'd say if anyone is due someone good, it's poor Jonathon! If he had been on this season, you just know they'd have given him Kate.

Anyway, I thought Evan was really good. Rumba is the dance I was most worried about for Evan, but he pulled it off. The dance was just so lovely, and you usually never see the guy dance as much as he did. Usually, the female pro is using the guy like a pole or something in this dance, so I was pleasantly surprised to see so much movement from him.

soxxy
04-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Evan's Rumba and off stage footage from last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgymeebplCQ

I'm also enjoying his personality on this show, which I wasn't aware of during skating coverage.

(Was a piano keyboard the inspiration for Brooke's dress?)

mrr50
04-20-2010, 01:05 PM
I enjoy Evan, Pam and Erin. Nicole leaves me cold. I like Niecy.

orbitz
04-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the ubtube link of Evan's dance.

Evan has really good body lines and fluid motion. I thought he was thinking a little bit through the dance and wasn't all the way natural in his emotion but overall he was very good. If he could learn to act more with his face and be more abandon in the dance then he could totally go to the next level. Great job though.

Pam's very pretty with the more natural makeup. I agree with Carry Ann about Pam being on B'way. If Melanie Griffith can successfully tackle Chicago then why should Pam be able to do something similar.

Bev Johnston
04-20-2010, 03:23 PM
I enjoy Evan, Pam and Erin.

I hope those are our top three at the end, but I'm throwing an online vote to #85. I find him appealing for some reason.

Garden Kitty
04-20-2010, 03:45 PM
It's going to be interesting to see if more of the young dancers start choreographing for skaters. Mark Ballas has done several since partnering with Kristi. Hopefully, even more will make the connection after this season.

I believe Louis Van Amstel did an OD with NavBoms a few seasons ago.

Rob
04-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Nicole definitely had the steps down, but I agree with the above comments that her posture wasn't quite right and she was mechanical about plowing through it. I think 9s would have been right.

Evan surprised me - I thought he might be stiff in this one, but he was good.

I thought Erin looked so much better in the sneakers in rehearsal - she was ok in the heels, but she had a lot more spring in the sneakers.

Chad started out pretty good, but he definitely lost it as the dance went on. Looked like he stepped on Cheryl's feet?

I was not half as enamored of Jake's performance as the judges were. They went for content, but he was sloppy. And I am glad he put his pants on.

Pam's was nice enough - I have to agree with Len about wasting a lot of time, but what she did was enjoyable.

Niecy is just a hoot - who cares if she's not the best dancer - she's just pure fun.

Kate - please put us (and tony) out of our misery.

uyeahu
04-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Evan's got to win this season. There is no justice if he doesn't. I agree with the poster who said that Nicole was really sloppy, especially at the end of the dance. I just didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the judges and thought many of her movements lacked crispness and control. She'll be on the show for awhile because of judges scores but I have to think she can't be pulling in the votes that many of the others are because her personality can be a bit off-putting. She's a little cocky.

My favorites..

1. Evan
2. Niecy
3. Pam
4. Erin
5. Chad

Everyone else can go now.

PRlady
04-20-2010, 04:08 PM
What's interesting to me is that I am positively allergic to blonde ex-cheerleader sports reporters, but I like Erin. I enjoyed her dance the most yesterday and she's feisty with Max. Also, I have to admit that I think she handled her stalking-thru-the-keyhold incident with dignity and strength and many women would have been too humiliated to deal.

So, go Erin. And Evan, who I like a lot better as a dancer than as a skater!

Beefcake
04-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Meh, Nicole & Derek ... why oh why is a professional dancer on this show and, worse still, paired with the resident pr*ck?

Guarantee me a Pam/Erin/Niecy F3 :cheer2: and I'd be watching this piffle as if Ty were back. Yeh, I know, I'd get one of those - tops. le sigh

rfisher
04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Meh, Nicole & Derek ... why oh why is a professional dancer on this show and, worse still, paired with the resident pr*ck?

Guarantee me a Pam/Erin/Niecy F3 :cheer2: and I'd be watching this piffle as if Ty were back. Yeh, I know, I'd get one of those - tops. le sigh

:lol: The bad thing that starts happening now, is you're limited in your votes and you have to start making choices among your favorites.

skatingfan5
04-20-2010, 05:07 PM
I didn't get home in time to see Niecy and only caught the last 10 seconds or so of Chad, so I can't really comment on either of their performances last night. Of the dances I saw, I was surprised at how well Evan did with the rumba -- since his skating movements are so angular and frenetic in the footwork, I was impressed with the fluidity of his upper body movement and he even got some of the hip action. :respec: I'm a member of the "like his dancing more than his skating" contingent. I liked both Erin and Pam and I hope that both of them remain for the long haul, esp. Erin so Maks can still be on view. ;)

I actually didn't hate Jake's dance as much as some of his previous attempts. :shuffle: Nicole had the steps down -- but I hold her to a much higher standard than the others because of her previous dance experience, so I don't know about those 10's. Derek really irks me, so that would have rated at least a 1 point deduction. :P

As for Kate, what can I say? Her dancing was so painfully awful that I had to switch to another channel for a few minutes. I can't believe that she has such a large fan following that keeps her on week after week. She, Chad, and Jake would be the ones I would have go next -- so, of course, they will somehow all make the final three. :lol: :wall: :scream: