PDA

View Full Version : US Team Envelope Assignments 2010-2011

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

TanithandBenFan
05-09-2010, 05:21 AM
does anyone want to give a quick explanation on the la khok drama? i really dont want to troll through the 313413413 page thread. thanks!

This article translation is a good summary. (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2751552&postcount=242)

mysticchic
05-09-2010, 06:32 AM
Oh, OK, thanks. Does anyone know if Trevor has found a new partner? From his Twitter, it sounds like he's training again.

I got this from Trevor
also, and you may have heard this already, i'm skating pairs with becky bereswill now. we just started a couple of weeks ago and i'm having a ton of fun!

Debbie S
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I got this from Trevor
also, and you may have heard this already, I'm skating pairs with becky bereswill now. we just started a couple of weeks ago and i'm having a ton of fun!Wow, thanks. Does this mean Becky will be skating pairs and singles? Kudos to her for doing both disciplines, but I hope she doesn't wear herself out. Aren't the SP and FS for both pairs and singles at Nats on the same days - Thurs/Sat? :eek:

pinky166
05-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Wow, thanks. Does this mean Becky will be skating pairs and singles? Kudos to her for doing both disciplines, but I hope she doesn't wear herself out. Aren't the SP and FS for both pairs and singles at Nats on the same days - Thurs/Sat? :eek:

I don't think so, Amanda Dobbs competed in both pairs and singles this year at nationals, pairs was the first weekend and championship ladies the second.

Tammi
05-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't think so, Amanda Dobbs competed in both pairs and singles this year at nationals, pairs was the first weekend and championship ladies the second.That two weekend schedule was only done to accommodate TV and the Olympics. At the 2008 championships, pairs final and ladies final were within 5 hours of each other on Saturday. In 2009, the two event finals were scheduled within 2 hours of each other on Saturday. It's do-able, but I'm sure it's exhausting.

It can actually be a little tougher if they have to qualify for both events at sectionals. There's not as much time or competitors to stretch out the events and practices. I've seen it where a competitor has to skip a practice for one event, because they're competing in their other one. It's pretty tough.

haribobo
05-09-2010, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't assume Becky definitely qualifies for Nationals with some of the strong Juniors moving up. So its smart of her to do Pairs too cause she may end up having a stronger future there anyway. She's a passably good singles skater but nothing that would ever get her to top 5 or even top 10 at Nationals. The weaker spins and wacky jump problems are a definite issue. Not to say that pairs is easy either but at least she'll have the jump content for it, and she won't be required to try to match those superhuman Zhang/Nagasu spins.

letsskate
05-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Humm.. I thought Becky Bereswill's very very tall, never thought she'd do pairs....

shan
05-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Humm.. I thought Becky Bereswill's very very tall, never thought she'd do pairs....

I thought so too.

According to ice network bios, Becky is 5'6 and Trevor is 5'11...

Ziggy
05-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Nice to see Amanda & Mark officially listed in Team A now. That's going to help them a lot this year. :cheer:

Maybe he won't have to be doing 5 odd jobs in addition to his skating anymore. :/

pinky166
05-09-2010, 10:17 PM

Well, for a normal person she's only slightly tall, for a skater she is quite tall, 5'6", but she is a very slight build so would not be hard to lift. Amanda Dobbs is about 5'5" and does pairs too, really I think it is more of a weight issue than height, so many pairs girls are short because when you're short you don't weight very much, but Becky is tall and still doesn't weigh very much so it works.

her grace
05-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't assume Becky definitely qualifies for Nationals with some of the strong Juniors moving up. . . . She's a passably good singles skater but nothing that would ever get her to top 5 or even top 10 at Nationals.

Bereswill was close to top 10 this year (13th) and she did finish in the top 10 (10th) at the 2008 Senior Nationals. It's conceivable that she could do that again if she could find the form that won her the Junior Grand Prix Final title.

Adding pairs is a smart move, though, given the current depth of ladies skating.

sk9tingfan
05-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Maybe he won't have to be doing 5 odd jobs in addition to his skating anymore. :/

Wishful thinking. I think that the support per skater is low, low six figures, os the degree of support is likely to be relatively negligible.

Jayar
05-10-2010, 05:18 PM

For their 9th place finish at Worlds, Evora and Ladwig receive(d) about $5K.
They earned $2K on the GP. That's a whopping $7K. I can't find anything that states that American skaters earn money at Nationals, and I can't find anything published that speaks to the funding levels from being named to a team envelope. (Why is that? Shouldn't that be published?) Is the Memorial Fund different than the team envelope funding? If so, why shouldn't Evora and Ladwig (and Denney and Barrett) be given a nice stipend this season? $25K for each team is a worthwhile investment.

dr.frog
05-10-2010, 05:27 PM
The last numbers I saw on USFSA team envelope funding are very old now, but were on the order of $5K-$15K for singles skaters depending on the envelope. Given that the USFSA's sponsorship and TV money has dried up in the meantime, I can't believe those numbers have gone up by any significant amount since then, though. Also the average Memorial Fund grant used to be less than $1K. Anybody who thinks the USFSA is going to suddenly hand $25K extra to pair teams who've been around for years without accomplishing much of anything internationally maybe needs to get a reality check. Where's that money going to come from? Who do you propose to take money away from? Is it fair to fund these two teams at a much higher level than any other skaters? :rolleyes:

Tammi
05-10-2010, 05:34 PM
I can't find anything that states that American skaters earn money at Nationals,There's no payout at Nationals.

I can't find anything published that speaks to the funding levels from being named to a team envelope. (Why is that? Shouldn't that be published?)Sylvia posted in a previous envelope thread, that the amounts given last year for envelope A were at a maximum of $18,000. Pairs and dance teams would get less and of course being in tier 2 probably dropped them down somewhat. USFS publishes it's total budget amount for envelope funding, but I don't believe it's required to publish a list of all skaters and the $$ of their assistance.

Is the Memorial Fund different than the team envelope funding? If so, why shouldn't Evora and Ladwig (and Denney and Barrett) be given a nice stipend this season? $25K for each team is a worthwhile investment.The Memorial Fund is separate. Skaters with a financial need can apply for it yearly and they have to submit tax filing information to the committee to verify their need. The fund comes from private donations and helps many skaters, so I don't think individual skaters receive a very large amount. Maybe enough to help with a new pair of skates or defray some of their skating expenses.