PDA

View Full Version : Coffee beans harvested from dung

Pages : [1] 2

orbitz
04-18-2010, 10:44 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/world/asia/18civetcoffee.html?pagewanted=1&hpw

Costing hundreds of dollars a pound, these beans are found in the droppings of the civet, a nocturnal, furry, long-tailed catlike animal that prowls Southeast Asia’s coffee-growing lands for the tastiest, ripest coffee cherries. The civet eventually excretes the hard, indigestible innards of the fruit — essentially, incipient coffee beans — though only after they have been fermented in the animal’s stomach acids and enzymes to produce a brew described as smooth, chocolaty and devoid of any bitter aftertaste.

Ok, who in the heck was the first person that saw coffeebean in a civet's dung and decided to harvest it and then brew it into coffee for human consumption? Who thinks of stuffs like that? :scream:

Jot the Dot Dot
04-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Makes me glad I'm a tea lover.

MOIJTO
04-18-2010, 11:58 AM
I heard this is really expensive stuff too. No thanks, I will drink day old coffee when desperate as I usually am on Sunday morning, husband is gone and he makes the best, but I will not have coffee with poop!

JJH
04-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Makes me glad I read Cleo Coyle's coffeehouse mystery series where the whole dung to deliciousness ick was discussed (or maybe, disgusted).

Moral of the story-Folger's might be cheap, but at least it's not full of sh*t.

Rex
04-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Well, I've had shitty cups of coffee before, but this takes the cake.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
04-18-2010, 01:37 PM
There was a segment about it on Bizarre Foods. Very interesting. :lol:

BigB08822
04-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Good question about who was the first person to try this. LOL!

genegri
04-18-2010, 05:41 PM
I am still not fazed! Would love to give it a try just for the heck of it. I recently got addicted to Vietnamese coffee, thanks to a friend who was born in Laos.

Somehow wine's making process disgusts me more. But that's another topic. :D

orbitz
04-18-2010, 09:10 PM
I wonder why there isn't a concern of E.Coli contamination when haversting the coffee bean this way.

Really
04-18-2010, 11:45 PM
I wonder why there isn't a concern of E.Coli contamination when haversting the coffee bean this way.I would imagine the roasting process probably kills off any cooties...

imperia
04-25-2010, 10:18 AM
i love more tea too, so no problem

Ozzisk8tr
04-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Well, I've had shitty cups of coffee before, but this takes the cake.

There's cake too? :eek:

Matryeshka
04-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I know I'm going to be sorry for admitting this, but I'm a die-hard coffee ADDICT. I heard about this after seeing The Bucket List where they discuss it. (Yes, I know there's something really wrong with me when I see coffee poop and think, ummmm, I MUST try that! :lol: )

It's pretty good, but not as good as the price suggests. And there's not really an aftertaste either, but, it doesn't IMO have as much strong, coffee tasting goodness as a nice dark Kenyan roast. Though I'd rather drink the indiluted civet droppings (or tea, same diff to me :P ) than EVER touch Folger's. Folger's is NASTY. :yikes:

We eat all sorts of disgusting things. Have you seen what's on the menu at Kentucky Fried Chicken lately?

luenatic
04-25-2010, 04:51 PM
There's cake too? :eek:

Yes, it's very popular here in the U.S. It's called Kitty Litter Cake

Enjoy it with your morning cup of coffee. :lol:

http://www.thedailymews.com/articles/Catcakerecipe.jpg

Quintuple
04-25-2010, 06:22 PM
A friend says she's seen civet coffee for $50 a cup here in SF. I would have huuuge problems spending that much on a cup of any liquid instead of using the money for a better cause.