PDA

View Full Version : Skate Canada 2010 - UPDATE: Kingston, ON

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Marge_Simpson
04-26-2010, 07:39 AM
I'll be there! :)
I have a question though - I'm thinking about visiting Toronto for a few days either before or after SC. Is it possible to get from Toronto to Kingston by bus and/or train?

karen
04-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Very easy. Via Rail runs between Toronto and Kingston multiple times per day. The Via station is about a $15 cab ride from downtown. (Or you can get there on the city bus, if you prefer.) Coach Canada (and their Mega Bus service) run multiple trips per day too. This would probably be cheaper than Via, but it depends what you prefer.

pingu
04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Uho I checked the train prices and it's way expensive!!!
Btw I was wondering if it'll be sold out or I can also buy tickets like one or two days before the competition

cygnus
04-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Uho I checked the train prices and it's way expensive!!!
Btw I was wondering if it'll be sold out or I can also buy tickets like one or two days before the competition

I'm not sure what you consider expensive, but it's certainly cheaper to pre-book. I checked the website and it's $88 one-way Kingston to Toronto. If you book ahead it's about $60. I checked the Greyhound Bus schedule and its about $70 one way, and that's if you pay 21 days in advance.

The train doesn't usually sell out, but if you are trying to get to Toronto from Kingston on the day after Skate Canada there may well be many others with the same idea- I would pre book,and fairly early too, if only for the 30% cheaper fare.

karen
04-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes, pre-book far in advance and you'll get a better price with Via. If you're coming from the airport in Toronto, the bus is probably easier because Coach Canada runs a bus right from the airport to Kingston. The Via station is way downtown (far from the airport).

I usually take Via around Ontario because it's faster (traffic at rush hour doesn't affect it) and tends to be more relaxed. The bus is certainly cheaper, though.

JanetB
04-26-2010, 10:20 PM
People should also look at Porter Airlines (http://www.flyporter.com/fly/Search.aspx?culture=en-CA), they land at the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (Toronto Island Airport) which is very close to Union station (http://www.torontoport.com/airport_location_access.asp?id=27). If you don't have too much luggage it looks like you could walk there in under 15 min.

cygnus
04-27-2010, 12:04 AM
People should also look at Porter Airlines (http://www.flyporter.com/fly/Search.aspx?culture=en-CA), they land at the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (Toronto Island Airport) which is very close to Union station (http://www.torontoport.com/airport_location_access.asp?id=27). If you don't have too much luggage it looks like you could walk there in under 15 min.

Hmm. Just checked Porter. a flight from Newark to Toronto's downtown airport is $124 each way (non refundable, but can be changed with a penalty) making it $358 taxes and charges included. That's pretty good. And the airline is nice too- smaller planes, some of them props rather than jets, but they give you a meal and wine, and use of a lounge at the airport with free drinks.

Susy
04-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Porter Airlines runs a free shuttle from the island airport to Union Station (it goes to the Royal York Hotel which is across from Union Station) - I would say it's more than a 15 minute walk, just take the free shuttle which I believe runs every 15 minutes

S

Marge_Simpson
04-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the travel tips, everyone. :) Looks like I'll do some sight-seeing in Toronto before SC. Wheeeeeeeeeee!

shutterbug
04-27-2010, 12:48 AM
I didn't see a link to a seating chart on the K-Rock website either. I did find one by pretending to buy tickets online to an event happening there, and doing a google image search for K-Rock Centre seat map did the trick too...but it's odd they don't have a clear link on their website.

I did find a site where someone has done small write-ups on the arenas where Ontario Hockey League games are played. Since Kingston has an Ontario Hockey League team that plays at the K-Rock Centre, there are a few pics of the arena. There is a pic of the outside of the arena at the top of the page, and another about 3/4 of the way down the page of what part of the seating area looks like inside. This website says capacity is 5,380.

http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/frontenacs.htm
Thanks!! I didn't even try pretending to buy a ticket. :duh: The arena sounds great. :) When a hockey guy says lots of leg room it's a good sign!

shells
04-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the travel tips, everyone. :) Looks like I'll do some sight-seeing in Toronto before SC. Wheeeeeeeeeee!

Marge, we could finally meet! I'd be happy to sightsee with you one day if you're interested. (I also may go to SC)

SaSherka
04-27-2010, 03:05 AM
As usual, it looks like a few of us will be driving from the Boston area, so potential pick-up/drop-offs on the way and back are theoretically possible =)

Marge_Simpson
04-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Marge, we could finally meet! I'd be happy to sightsee with you one day if you're interested. (I also may go to SC)

Yes, that would be great, maybe we could plan a group thing closer to the date?

Parsley Sage
04-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Hmm. Just checked Porter. a flight from Newark to Toronto's downtown airport is $124 each way (non refundable, but can be changed with a penalty) making it $358 taxes and charges included. That's pretty good. And the airline is nice too- smaller planes, some of them props rather than jets, but they give you a meal and wine, and use of a lounge at the airport with free drinks.

Porter is an excellent airline.

pingu
04-27-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure what you consider expensive, but it's certainly cheaper to pre-book. I checked the website and it's $88 one-way Kingston to Toronto. If you book ahead it's about $60. I checked the Greyhound Bus schedule and its about $70 one way, and that's if you pay 21 days in advance.

The train doesn't usually sell out, but if you are trying to get to Toronto from Kingston on the day after Skate Canada there may well be many others with the same idea- I would pre book,and fairly early too, if only for the 30% cheaper fare.
Well from milan to turin it's two hours by train and you pay 9.55 euros ;)
Anyway sorry I didn't write properly, I meant tickets for the competition :duh:
I checked the bus prices (coach canada) and it's like 14$...I know there's not that much difference but I was wondering if on that website they meant canadian dollars or US dollars