PDA

View Full Version : Skate Canada 2010 - UPDATE: Kingston, ON

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

AragornElessar
04-23-2010, 04:47 AM
You need to look up Sudbury *Junction* not Sudbury. Here's the info for the next train to Toronto - from VIA's website.
https://reservia.viarail.ca/search/tripresult.aspx?t=D

VIA doesn't stop at the station in downtown Sudbury, it stops 10 kms outside of Sudbury at a place called Sudbury Junction. I've travelled VIA Rail a lot, cross country to & from Toronto, and trust me, VIA does stop at Sudbury Junction, people from Sudbury do get on there, and we did all end up in Toronto :) Long trip getting into T.O. though. Freight trains have the right away, so sometimes you can spend a lot of time not going anywhere. The train that runs to Kingston is good - it's more like a commuter train and was always on time the few times I rode it.

WTH!?! I *have* searched by using the Sudbury Jct in the feature before (many, many, many times before at that!!) and nothing's ever come up but the "There is nothing scheduled for that route." message. Every single time I've looked at VIA's website for a train out of Sudbury to Toronto it's told me that!!

I guess it takes someone who isn't from Sudbury or the area to discover that? I don't care about how long I'd be on the train. Considering the service that VIA gives their Disabled Patrons over Greyhound, plus the scenery?

Thank you so much and if I could rep you, I would!! :D Thank you so much again!! :D

jp1andonly
04-23-2010, 04:52 AM
if you are a volunteer you could be stuck back in a room with accountants, or in hospitality, or in transportation. You wont be able to see much competition. There will be empty seats to sit in I'm sure, but I honestly dont know how much you'll actually be able to sit and watch.

Question to those who have volunteered before...do you get access to the competition? or do you have to buy your tickets...
I plan to volunteer, but i"m not sure if I should buy tickets. I don't want them to go to waste..
thanks!!!

JeffClair1979
04-23-2010, 06:12 AM
This is the first time I can EVER say this... Rochester, NY... SCORE!!!! hey... closer to me than Lake Placid!! You know it's bad when something in another country is easier to get to than something in your own state!!! And I know! I went to SA last year! So much more looking forward to SC this year!

yfbg722
04-24-2010, 02:36 AM
Question to those who have volunteered before...do you get access to the competition? or do you have to buy your tickets...
I plan to volunteer, but i"m not sure if I should buy tickets. I don't want them to go to waste..
thanks!!!

I volunteered at SC last year and was able to sit in the stands with my credentials whenever I wasn't on duty. I got to see almost everyone skate that I really cared about. The co-ordinator I worked for asked us what our availability was and worked around it. I wouldn't purchase tickets if I were you.

Erica Lee
04-24-2010, 01:24 PM
I'll second what a couple of others said - if you're volunteering, don't buy tickets, but also don't count on being able to see what you want to see. If you put on your availability sheet that you can start early (6am), you could end up with early shifts, leaving you time to watch the events in the evenings - but that does make for a really exhausting week (done it a few times) and it really depends on your function.

jykang
04-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Thank you for all the reply! It would be a shame to miss some competitions...but I have wanted to volunteer at an event too long to pass this up!

arena_gal
04-24-2010, 09:15 PM
I'll second what a couple of others said - if you're volunteering, don't buy tickets, but also don't count on being able to see what you want to see. If you put on your availability sheet that you can start early (6am), you could end up with early shifts, leaving you time to watch the events in the evenings - but that does make for a really exhausting week (done it a few times) and it really depends on your function.

Skating background helps a lot to get the good assignments. Of all of my friends that have done Skate Canada and Nationals and Worlds, just a few have gotten ice level assignments, and it is a pressure environment. Ice patching is probably the most fun and easiest to get to watch skating but you have to be able to skate. I've also known volunteers who didn't see a single minute of competition as they were assigned to hotel, transportation, media, hospitality, security.

Because of the short nature of the event and the 20 hour time commitment there is little free time to watch. My suggestion is that if you want to watch the skating, buy a ticket.

If you want to have stories to tell,:yikes::wideeyes::violin::cat::respec::glamor ::glamor: volunteer, tape the skating on TV and watch it later .;)

jykang
04-25-2010, 12:36 AM
lol I guess it helps a little that I already know my favorite skater, Daisuke Takahashi, has zero chance of getting placed at Skate Canada. If he was assigned to SC that would be a whole other story- I wouldn't miss his competition for a world! :lol::lol: him and Robin/Aliona...but they were here last year so I doubt they'll be placed at SC two years in a row.

ksneds
04-25-2010, 04:12 AM
I agree that if you want to see the skating (live), buy tickets. When I volunteered at Skate Canada 2009, I didn't get to see a single minute of the actual competition, other than on the backstage monitors/TVs. But I still had a great time, and am hoping to volunteer in Kingston if my schedule permits.

There's actually no min. for work hours, but you must work 20+hrs to keep your volunteer uniform. It helps if you can work during the week (W-F), and also to be flexible to change shifts or pick up extra shifts if people get sick etc.

The 'on ice' positions do have pre-reqs in terms of having passed certain SkateCanada tests. A few other positions have minimum ages for legal reasons, and it does help your chances for some positions if you have previous related volunteer or professional experience. Supposedly people from the local area/clubs get priority, but I don't know if they really get that selective.

luckiest1
04-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Why do you say Daisuke has zero chance of a SC assignment? I am going regardless of who is assigned, but it would be great to have Daisuke back again!

Garden Kitty
04-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Why do you say Daisuke has zero chance of a SC assignment? I am going regardless of who is assigned, but it would be great to have Daisuke back again!

I'm assuming because they can only have one of the 1-3 seeds from Worlds, and they'll want Patrick Chan.

luckiest1
04-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Oh, I didn't realize that. So if Patrick is in (and I hope he is!) than Daisuke will get a different assignment.....too bad but I guess I can live with it.

shutterbug
04-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Has anyone come across a seating chart on the K-Rock website? Possibly Iím just blind?

Have to admit, initially I wasnít too thrilled with Kingston, but itís actually very well laid out for something like this. The airport is right in town, and I was one of the lucky ones to get a reservation at the Holiday Inn before they developed delusions of grandeur and jacked up their rates, so I can pass on renting a car. And most importantly, thereís a Timmyís in between the hotel and the arena. :D

jtpc
04-26-2010, 04:34 AM
I didn't see a link to a seating chart on the K-Rock website either. I did find one by pretending to buy tickets online to an event happening there, and doing a google image search for K-Rock Centre seat map did the trick too...but it's odd they don't have a clear link on their website.

I did find a site where someone has done small write-ups on the arenas where Ontario Hockey League games are played. Since Kingston has an Ontario Hockey League team that plays at the K-Rock Centre, there are a few pics of the arena. There is a pic of the outside of the arena at the top of the page, and another about 3/4 of the way down the page of what part of the seating area looks like inside. This website says capacity is 5,380.

http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/frontenacs.htm

AragornElessar
04-26-2010, 05:24 AM
I meant to go and check that website out this weekend, but didn't get around to it. Thanks for posting the link to the K Rock Centre's section of that website for all of us. :)