PDA

View Full Version : Skate Canada 2010 - UPDATE: Kingston, ON

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

karen
04-22-2010, 08:00 PM
I've been doing a little research on Kingston, looks like a nice little town....however, hotels seem to be gouging so far. I did find this hotel, it's about half the price of the nearby Holiday Inn, a couple blocks from the arena....anyone Kingston residents/people that have been there have opinions on the place? Conferedation Place Hotel? www.confederationplace.com Thanks!

I've stayed there. It's nothing fancy, but it's reasonable. I do remember a ceiling leaking water in the hallway. It really was okay, though. It's right next to a nice park and really convenient for everything (restaurants, shopping, arena, walking paths).

jtpc
04-22-2010, 08:25 PM
the Holiday Inn Waterfront is a nice hotel and is like steps from the arena, it has free parking and free breakfast for ticket holders.. :P
The Holiday Inn Waterfront was my first choice to look up, but the prices have skyrocketed overnight. I think this hotel knows they have a big event that weekend now. :D Should have booked last night when their flexible rates were their normal $160/night, but I waited until this morning and now you're looking at $300/night. Do they realistically think they're going to get many people (or anyone) paying that? :lol:

I checked out their property page on the Holiday Inn website and it boasts a multi-million dollar renovation that was completed last year. I guess $300/night is one way to help pay for it! :P

Nan
04-22-2010, 08:30 PM
The Holiday Inn Waterfront was my first choice to look up, but the prices have skyrocketed overnight. I think this hotel knows they have a big event that weekend now. :D Should have booked last night when their flexible rates were their normal $160/night, but I waited until this morning and now you're looking at $300/night.

I saw that, too. When I go to a skating event, I'm not IN a hotel room long enough to pay rates like that.

huggermugger
04-22-2010, 08:47 PM
According to an email from Sales the Holiday Inn Waterfront is one of the host hotels so Skate Canada has got a block of rooms for themselves - unlike some US events there's not a block for fans. The Sheraton 4Points is also a host hotel so there's not much available there ($270 / night). They suggested their sister hotel the Ambassador Conference & Resort Hotel but it is further out Princess St - driving distance www.ambassadorhotel.com so I didn't ask about their rates as I always like walking distance

karen
04-22-2010, 09:09 PM
I agree - the Ambassador is quite far away. In the same downtown area as the Holiday Inn and Sheraton, there are the Radisson, Marriott (a little further away, but brand new, opening next month) and Confederation Place hotels. There are also a lot of bed and breakfasts and small hotels in the area.

nyrak
04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
The Holiday Inn Waterfront was my first choice to look up, but the prices have skyrocketed overnight. I think this hotel knows they have a big event that weekend now. :D Should have booked last night when their flexible rates were their normal $160/night, but I waited until this morning and now you're looking at $300/night. Do they realistically think they're going to get many people (or anyone) paying that? :lol:

I checked out their property page on the Holiday Inn website and it boasts a multi-million dollar renovation that was completed last year. I guess $300/night is one way to help pay for it! :P

I know, eh?! I always look at Holiday Inn and/or Best Western first as you pretty much know what you're going to get with them. I was looking at the H.I. hotel website last night, phoned them this morning and the rates had pretty much doubled. This Confederation Inn sounds good, great rate, great location....now just need the plane tickets! And event tickets would help too ;) Any word on when they go on sale?

AragornElessar
04-22-2010, 11:01 PM
You can catch the VIA train to Toronto at Sudbury Junction - it's only 10 kms from downtown Sudbury.
http://www.viarail.ca/en/stations/ontario/sudbury-jct

You can? Take a closer look. The only train they offer is Sudbury to White River and back. If there was a VIA Train to Toronto out of Sudbury, I'd be booking for next week and my trip for Toronto CSOI. :(

Thanks for looking that up for me and the effort, but believe me when I say I've done that in the past. Grrrr!!!

4rkidz
04-23-2010, 12:35 AM

Seriously:eek: I booked it two nights ago when I got the email confirming and paid $149 a night..

napanean
04-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Since I live in Kingston, this can't be better news. Downtown is tiny (in a good way), with practically everything jammed together. You can walk everywhere.

I live in Napanee....about a half hour drive and I couldn't be more excited. After I read it in the paper this morning I was jumping up and down, and immediately got on the phone to talk to 3 other friends who have tolerated by constant babble about skating over the years. They are all going with me, so it should be a blast.

Kingston is a lovely city, and I love going in to shop around downtown, and it has lots of restaurants to choose from - many within walking distance from the venue.

WildRose
04-23-2010, 01:30 AM
You can? Take a closer look. The only train they offer is Sudbury to White River and back. If there was a VIA Train to Toronto out of Sudbury, I'd be booking for next week and my trip for Toronto CSOI. :(

You need to look up Sudbury *Junction* not Sudbury. Here's the info for the next train to Toronto - from VIA's website.
https://reservia.viarail.ca/search/tripresult.aspx?t=D

SUDBURY JCT - TORONTO, Saturday Apr 24, 2010
Departs: 02:20 Arrives: 09:30 Duration: 7 hrs 10 mins

VIA doesn't stop at the station in downtown Sudbury, it stops 10 kms outside of Sudbury at a place called Sudbury Junction. I've travelled VIA Rail a lot, cross country to & from Toronto, and trust me, VIA does stop at Sudbury Junction, people from Sudbury do get on there, and we did all end up in Toronto :) Long trip getting into T.O. though. Freight trains have the right away, so sometimes you can spend a lot of time not going anywhere. The train that runs to Kingston is good - it's more like a commuter train and was always on time the few times I rode it.

napanean
04-23-2010, 01:34 AM
I've been doing a little research on Kingston, looks like a nice little town....however, hotels seem to be gouging so far. I did find this hotel, it's about half the price of the nearby Holiday Inn, a couple blocks from the arena....anyone Kingston residents/people that have been there have opinions on the place? Confederation Place Hotel? www.confederationplace.com Thanks!

Two weeks ago my husband and I went to K Rock to see Gordon Lightfoot, and we decided to stay at Confederation Place and we were happy with the hotel. We had a room that was newly renovated and the beds were sooooo comfortable. It's a five minute walk to the venue, and lots of restaurants to choose from within walking distance. The only thing negative about it was that we had to pay $10.00 per night for parking.

yfbg722
04-23-2010, 01:45 AM
Last time I looked there were still 10 provinces in Canada and many of the best attended events have been in the west. Skate Canada's members don't fill buildings, skating fans do. Winnipeg would have been a great location - here's hoping they're saving it for Canadians.

I'm well aware that there are ten provinces lol! I'm also aware that Ontario, followed by Quebec, have the highest populations in Canada as well as the highest number of Skate Canada members. Manitoba falls fifth according to the latest population statistics listed on the Statistics Canada website. It isn't too big a leap to guess that higher populations (and Skate Canada members) will translate into more tickets sold and a readily available volunteer base. It makes sense to me to locate large competitions close to large populations not only for ticket sales and volunteers but also to reduce the travel time and costs of those participating.

karen
04-23-2010, 02:01 AM
Two weeks ago my husband and I went to K Rock to see Gordon Lightfoot, and we decided to stay at Confederation Place and we were happy with the hotel. We had a room that was newly renovated and the beds were sooooo comfortable. It's a five minute walk to the venue, and lots of restaurants to choose from within walking distance. The only thing negative about it was that we had to pay $10.00 per night for parking.

That brings up a good point - parking in Kingston can be difficult. You will probably have to pay for parking if you stay anywhere near downtown. Thankfully, everything is pretty walkable once you get here, so you shouldn't need to drive much.

yak
04-23-2010, 03:48 AM
Joining the conversation to mention a few other possibilities (first post). There are some good small hotels/B&Bs in the downtown area about ten minutes walk from the rink, through a residential area and the downtown core. Most (maybe all) include breakfast.

Hotel Belvedere on King St. (limestone inn) 1 800 559-0584 or 613 548-1565
Hochelaga Inn on Sydenham St. (Victorian inn) 613 549-5534
Rosemount B&B Inn (Tuscan villa style inn) 613 531-8844
Frontenac Club Inn (limestone former bank building) 613 547-4707 or 547-6167.
a more expensive option.

Some travel thoughts too:
Kingston is equidistant from Toronto and Montreal, about 2 hours by car. Montreal Trudeau Airport is in Dorval, a Montreal suburb to the west of the city, and within sight of the Via Rail train station. A free shuttle operates between the airport and the train station. As well as being more convenient, the food is better at Trudeau than Pearson.

If you’re renting a car, Ottawa is a good choice because of the easy 2-hour drive to Kingston. Otherwise, you’ll need to take a taxi to the train or bus to make the connection.

Toronto Pearson Airport is located to the northwest of the city (Kingston is to the east). It is the biggest and least accessible airport, unless you’re planning to fly through to Kingston. The train station is downtown, about a $50 cab ride away (or can be reached by a shuttle to the subway, although I haven’t done this). Once you reach the train station, there are frequent trains to Kingston. You can reserve online at the Via Rail site. A bus operates periodically from the airport to Kingston as a milk run, picking up and dropping off passengers along the way. If the timing is right (and you have a good book), it’s convenient since you get on at the airport, but you would need to be prepared for a 4-hour trip (coachcanada.com).

As others have said, there are many good restaurants near the rink.

jykang
04-23-2010, 04:32 AM
Question to those who have volunteered before...do you get access to the competition? or do you have to buy your tickets...
I plan to volunteer, but i"m not sure if I should buy tickets. I don't want them to go to waste..
thanks!!!