View Full Version : Skate Canada 2010 - UPDATE: Kingston, ON

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Dave of the North
04-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Bah, why not Saint John? It's just a 20 minute drive for me.:lol:

Maybe SJ will get Canadians?

yfbg722
04-22-2010, 02:12 AM
I think if you look at skating demographics, the bulk of Skate Canada's members are either from Ontario or Quebec. Kingston is a good choice in being accessible to residents of both. I would assume that they believe many of those purchasing tickets will be members.

I think the point that it won't be a tough commute for many of the skaters sent to compete is a very good one too.

lise
04-22-2010, 03:09 AM
I understand that, but Winnipeg really needs a boost for figure skating; heck Saskatoon has had more events than us! All we've had since Nats 2001 is the World Team Challenge in 2004 and we get Stars on Ice and Disney on Ice.

I feel we get overlooked a lot and I have written many a letter imploring the Manitoba section to place a bid for an event. I'm not the only one; I know others that have done the same. Winnipeg is not hard for people to get to and hotel and food are reasonably priced. We also have the volunteer base to coordinate the whole thing. Bring in the fact that the new arena is downtown, walking distance (indoors) from hotels, there are a few practice arenas they could use that are not more than 15 minutes away driving.

I guess I will write another letter to the Manitoba section; I never get any responses from them.

jykang
04-22-2010, 03:39 AM
when do tickets go on sale? anyone remember when it went on sale for SC 2009?

WildRose
04-22-2010, 03:49 AM
I think if you look at skating demographics, the bulk of Skate Canada's members are either from Ontario or Quebec. Kingston is a good choice in being accessible to residents of both.

Last time I looked there were still 10 provinces in Canada and many of the best attended events have been in the west. Skate Canada's members don't fill buildings, skating fans do. Winnipeg would have been a great location - here's hoping they're saving it for Canadians.

cygnus
04-22-2010, 03:59 AM
But again, you can't blame Skate Canada for not giving an event to Winnipeg, if Winnipeg hasn't asked to hold it. As far as I know, they have not put in bids in previous years. They may (or may not) have put in a bid for Nationals. If they have, I'm sure SC would strongly consider it. If they haven't- well it's not Skate Canada's fault.

pat c
04-22-2010, 04:03 AM
I understand that, but Winnipeg really needs a boost for figure skating; heck Saskatoon has had more events than us! All we've had since Nats 2001 is the World Team Challenge in 2004 and we get Stars on Ice and Disney on Ice.

The problem may not be with the volunteer base or the skating club, it might be how much the facility wants and the timing. I thought WPG was due for a skating comp, but not to be this year.

My choice is easy, not go or go to SA. The airfare makes that much difference at this stage of the game. I wonder where Nats will be.

4rkidz
04-22-2010, 04:04 AM
the Holiday Inn Waterfront is a nice hotel and is like steps from the arena, it has free parking and free breakfast for ticket holders.. :P

4rkidz
04-22-2010, 04:06 AM
when do tickets go on sale? anyone remember when it went on sale for SC 2009? Yes it went on sale the December - so imagine tickets will go on sale very soon..

WildRose
04-22-2010, 04:28 AM
But again, you can't blame Skate Canada for not giving an event to Winnipeg, if Winnipeg hasn't asked to hold it.
Agreed. If they didn't bid then obviously it can't be held there.

Really
04-22-2010, 04:29 AM
I won't be going. The logistics of getting to Kingston, and the expense (including paying for subs for travel days) just makes it too much of a PITA. *sigh* May well be going to Portland this year...maybe...

WildRose
04-22-2010, 05:52 AM
I won't be going. The logistics of getting to Kingston, and the expense (including paying for subs for travel days) just makes it too much of a PITA. *sigh* May well be going to Portland this year...maybe...
I'd already been thinking about going to Portland, and now that we know Skate Canada is in Kingston it makes the decision a whole lot easier. I just spent the past hour figuring out logistics and Portland is looking pretty good :D

Lanie
04-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Mr Lanie and I might be going, but we have a wedding in Florida to go to in October. If he has vacation time we're talking about it! I might just go by myself, but he's still bummed he missed out when Worlds was here LA...

sk9tingfan
04-22-2010, 12:49 PM
For those in the Northeastern US, it appears that the quickest and cheapest route is to fly into Syracuse, NY as opposed to Toronto. The drive from Syracuse is estimated at 2:45 relative to the just over 3 hours from Toronto and the flights are far less expensive.

Of course, that doesn't take into account the wait at the borders.

clarie
04-22-2010, 12:51 PM
http://www.k-rockcentre.com/

Wheeee!!!!.........This is exactly what I was hoping. I'm moving back there in June, but I would have gone in any case.

The K-rock is new and is located close to hotels, bars, tons of restaurants, shopping with lots of boutiques in the downtown area. Kingston is a terrific city with many points of interest. I think most will enjoy and give it the :thumbs up:............:)