PDA

View Full Version : Skate Canada 2010 - UPDATE: Kingston, ON

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16

Dave of the North
09-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Got my tickets today, which is really early for Skate Canada
:cheer: That means we should hear about ours soon - my sister-in-law's sister-in-law ordered the tickets.

Did anyone notice that they have the Competitors, staying at the Four Points by Sheraton Kingston and the Chaperones staying at the Radisson Hotel Kingston Harbourfront and Holiday Inn Kingston-Waterfront. Isn't it the job of the Chaperones to stop the Competitors getting up to mischief and how are they to do that in separate hotels.

That mean the lobby chicks and dudes will have a heavy responsibility this year, keeping the :saint: skaters out of (most) mischief, but still letting enough stuff happen so the voids from SC will be good.:P

Norlite
09-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Has anyone else received their tickets (except me??)

eta: FYI, single tickets go on sale Friday. (9/10)

rvi5
09-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Received my tickets a couple weeks ago via courier.

Bournekraatzfan
09-12-2010, 10:45 PM
booked my tickets today for the free dance and gala! can't wait! my first time seeing a figure skating competition live!

Rafter
09-21-2010, 08:06 PM
I guess Homesense didn't renew their sponsorship which means there is no title sponsor for Skate Canada? That's got to be worrying for Skate Canada and the ISU.

Also, is there a link anywhere to the TV schedule?

houston
09-22-2010, 11:30 PM
I plan to drive from New York State. Can someone give me an idea of the waiting time at the border in either direction on the highway from Syracuse to Kingston ? Several years ago I drove from New Hampshire to Quebec Province and it was no more than 10 minutes!

kimkom
09-23-2010, 12:41 AM
I guess Homesense didn't renew their sponsorship which means there is no title sponsor for Skate Canada? That's got to be worrying for Skate Canada and the ISU.

Wow, no major sponsor? That is troubling.

Norlite
09-23-2010, 12:47 AM
I plan to drive from New York State. Can someone give me an idea of the waiting time at the border in either direction on the highway from Syracuse to Kingston ? Several years ago I drove from New Hampshire to Quebec Province and it was no more than 10 minutes!

That's the Ivy Lea Bridge. I or a member of my family crosses it often. It is the same as your experience with the Québec crossing. Usually 10 minutes or less.

shutterbug
10-08-2010, 05:41 PM
A heads up for anyone planning to take a DSLR or DSLR-like point & shoot to the event. Skate Canada has changed their camera policy:

Can I bring my camera and take pictures during the event?

At Skate Canada events, spectators are permitted to use small still point and shoot
cameras at the event for personal use only. The following are not permitted at a Skate
Canada event:

- No flash photography
- No camera bags in venue
- No type of transmitter mechanism for the purpose of using a flash or strobes
- No use of professional cameras/detachable lenses
- Camera cannot interfere with other fans’ enjoyment
- Any resale of photography or posting photos on websites is strictly prohibited.
- Absolutely no video recording is allowed. Only accredited coaches and team
managers may be permitted to videotape their own skater/team from rinkside
during that skater’s/team’s practice or performance. If athletes wish to obtain a
video of their programs, they may purchase a copy from the licensed video
distributor on site if applicable.

Anyone not abiding by these restrictions risks having their camera confiscated by venue
security staff. Additionally, Skate Canada staff reserves the right to restrict use of other
types of cameras should they feel the quality and/or type of camera fail to protect the
athletes’ and/or event’s interests.

Erica Lee
10-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Wow, that's a MAJOR change in policy. I know consumer level DSLRs have been getting more and more popular at skating events, and average folks are even purchasing/renting really expensive high-quality lenses, so I can't say I'm surprised that they decided to do something... but I'm wondering the true motivations and if there could not have been a better compromise.

Maybe I'm just ADHD-esque or something because I don't watch TV either without doing something else at the same time because it's too passive of an activity, or maybe it's the thrill of the challenge of getting a good shot, but I do not enjoy skating events nearly as much if I am not taking photos.

I am conscious of those around me so I sometimes do wish Skate Canada would have a designated set of seats available for those that wish to take pictures (and those that are bothered by cameras wouldn't have to sit near them). I suppose that's a bit of a pain to have to coordinate - so I'd even be willing to pay slightly more for the option.

Skate Canada could even go as far as being completely amateur photography friendly, offering a specific package for amateur photographers whereby you pay a premium that more than covers the extra costs, sit in a designated section, have a small room on site available for charging equipment/downloading photos, and have an experienced skating photographer (or even a different one each day) offer short lessons and/or one-on-one mentoring. Skate Canada could even have a special area on its website/facebook where those participating in the photography clinic could upload their best shots and participants/the public could critique/comment on the photos (Skate Canada would still retain control over images and be able to delete any they felt portrayed the event or any athletes negatively).

The reality is that a growing segment of the target market enjoys photography. Why not embrace it as an opportunity rather than alienate?

PeterG
10-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Camera cannot interfere with other fans’ enjoyment

Skate America - Everett, WA. Two people were sitting in the row in front of us with super-duper cameras that made fairly loud clicking sounds every half second. They took pictures of almost EVERY skater/team, so we could hear this clicking going on for hours.

Good policy, Skate Canada! :respec:

AragornElessar
10-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow, that's a MAJOR change in policy. I know consumer level DSLRs have been getting more and more popular at skating events, and average folks are even purchasing/renting really expensive high-quality lenses, so I can't say I'm surprised that they decided to do something... but I'm wondering the true motivations and if there could not have been a better compromise.

People who don't follow skating like we do, so won't know about this, and try to take pictures are in for a nasty surprise. I don't see this going down well at all.

I am conscious of those around me so I sometimes do wish Skate Canada would have a designated set of seats available for those that wish to take pictures (and those that are bothered by cameras wouldn't have to sit near them).

I am too. I always ask the people around me if they'll be bothered by me using my camera and if I hear a "Yes.", then I won't use it. (Yes, I know...I'm odd that way considering how things are headed these days. ;) ) After all, those people paid the same exact amount of money I did to attend the event, so it's only common courtesy IMO.

*However*, as we all know there are those of us who do enjoy attempting to take pics at Skating events and obviously Skate Canada knows it too, so why not take advantage of that? Yes, it would take a bit more planning, but OTOH fans knowing they'd have a chance to be in a place where they wouldn't be bothered due to them pursuing a hobby they love or bothering others, that would be a Win Win AFAIC.

I suppose that's a bit of a pain to have to coordinate - so I'd even be willing to pay slightly more for the option.

As would I. Yet another advantage for Skate Canada, as that would be bringing in a bit more money for them.

Skate Canada could even go as far as being completely amateur photography friendly, offering a specific package for amateur photographers whereby you pay a premium that more than covers the extra costs, sit in a designated section, have a small room on site available for charging equipment/downloading photos, and have an experienced skating photographer (or even a different one each day) offer short lessons and/or one-on-one mentoring. Skate Canada could even have a special area on its website/facebook where those participating in the photography clinic could upload their best shots and participants/the public could critique/comment on the photos (Skate Canada would still retain control over images and be able to delete any they felt portrayed the event or any athletes negatively).

Wow!!! This is one of the best suggestion postings on a camera policy that would work for both sides, fans and SC, that I've ever seen over the years. It would work too.

The reality is that a growing segment of the target market enjoys photography. Why not embrace it as an opportunity rather than alienate?

Because that would be common sense?

PeterG
10-09-2010, 04:27 AM
Because that would be common sense?

I spoke to the "fans" at Skate America, mentioning that their cameras were quite loud and if they could turn off the sound the camera were making. They coolly looked at me and bluntly said, "Can't".

End of discussion.

Cameras are great (I loooove photography), but when your enjoyment takes away someone else's, then you've crossed a line. Which leaves the officials to make policies that might be too strict. If someone mentions that you (or your equipment) is loud, asks kindly if you could take action somehow and you callously respond in the negative....and then ignore their concerns - then I'm glad the officials stick it to you.

RunnersHigh
10-09-2010, 05:46 AM
Skate America - Everett, WA. Two people were sitting in the row in front of us with super-duper cameras that made fairly loud clicking sounds every half second. They took pictures of almost EVERY skater/team, so we could hear this clicking going on for hours.

Good policy, Skate Canada! :respec:

I understand how uncomfortable the situation is. I love to enjoy fan cams and pics though hard to understand why do they keep doing those all along the competition..

To tell you the truth, I've never dreamed of taking a picture when skaters skate on the ice. I just have some when they're on the podium, in a victory ceremony or small medal ceremony. Anyway, nice policy! Hope no one break the rule.

AragornElessar
10-09-2010, 06:35 AM
I spoke to the "fans" at Skate America, mentioning that their cameras were quite loud and if they could turn off the sound the camera were making. They coolly looked at me and bluntly said, "Can't".

End of discussion.

Cameras are great (I loooove photography), but when your enjoyment takes away someone else's, then you've crossed a line. Which leaves the officials to make policies that might be too strict. If someone mentions that you (or your equipment) is loud, asks kindly if you could take action somehow and you callously respond in the negative....and then ignore their concerns - then I'm glad the officials stick it to you.

Then when you have someone that selfish, you go to the usher and make a formal complaint. They do have to do something about it when it's brought to their attention after all.

BTW, that last sentence of yours, while I am sorry idiots were so ignorant of you and the others around them at last year's Skate America, is not appreciated. I get you were ticked, but as I said, you could have gone and taken it to the usher. You didn't, so please don't come in here and then lash out at the rest of us that do use common sense and are polite to those around us at events.