PDA

View Full Version : Skate Canada 2010 - UPDATE: Kingston, ON

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16

waddlercu
05-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Is membership really open to everyone, though? From the Skate Canada site: "To become an associate member of Skate Canada you must belong to a Skate Canada member-club, or be a registered coach."

What are the chances that a random skating club in Ontario would let a child-less non-skater from the states join just so I could have access to future pre-sales? :D

Oh well.. it's a small arena anyway. Very few "bad" seats.

nyrak
05-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Got my tickets this morning! One good thing about tickets going on sale so late - less time to wait for the event! ;)

Dave of the North
05-07-2010, 06:23 PM
We got our seats too - section 112 - centre, across from the judges.

clarie
05-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Got mine too thanks to a friend in Kingston willing to put them on her card. My address will be changing before they mail them out and they wouldn't mail them to my new address nor would they let me collect them at the box office..........a very frustrating morning but cudos to my friend for getting seats in 112.......further back than I would like but probably in the midst of other FSUers :)..................row 16, I think..........I am ecstatic...............Skate Canada in the city I'll be moving back to..........tee hee!!!!!

AragornElessar
05-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Did tickets go on sale to the general public today or was this the advance sale?

Oh well...Considering I couldn't find a place to stay for anything under $135 a night, I had a feeling SC would be a miss for me this year. Never, ever, ever have I seen rates for a B&B that high. Hotels, I can understand sort of, but not B&B's.

Since it looks like SC's a miss for me, perhaps this should be the year I finally go to Ottawa and attend The National Service of Remembrance at the National War Memorial on Remembrance Day. I've always wanted to do that, but the last few years, I've gone to SC and since I can't afford to do the both...

Considering we're starting to lose our WWII Vets in greater numbers as their ages are now in late 70's ~ early 80's and what a big year this is for our Military in Canada, I think I'll start making my plans to attend that instead. I will miss going to Skate Canada, but what can you do when you can't afford what the rates are for places to stay?

JanetB
05-07-2010, 10:49 PM
I got my ticket center ice right behind the judges, Section 103 Row 12 Seat 5, exactly where I want to be. :D

rvi5
05-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Does anyone familiar with K-Rock know if the seats are numbered left-right or vice-versa (looking up from on ice)?

For those considering taking the VIA to/from Kingston between Toronto, there may be a problem on Sunday. If I read the VIA schedule correctly, the last train departs Kingston at 8:53pm. Depending when the Gala ends, there likely could be a conflict getting to that train. :(

huggermugger
05-07-2010, 11:50 PM
based on my experience buying seats I think they would be left to right but we really need someone who is familiar with the arena.....ticket sales are handled by tickets.com which is located in the Pacific Northwest. the arena plan that the gal I was on the phone with was not exactly the online plan so.....

rvi5
05-08-2010, 01:10 AM
I got my ticket center ice right behind the judges, Section 103 Row 12 Seat 5, exactly where I want to be. :D
Good choice of seats...

HOT SEATS - Figure Skating

The athlete Joannie Rochette, 24 Home base Montreal Personal best Silver at the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships The venue Figure skaters showcase their programs on the five-centimetre-thick ice of the Pacific Coliseum at Hastings Park in front of nine judges and 14,200 fans, not to mention the broadcasters whose cameras peek through cut-outs in the specially made freestanding padded boards.

Whats most important is that people get a good feel for the program. For the best overall view, Id make sure not to sit too close to the ice, but not too high up either because then the skaters seem too far away. The ideal seats are midway up the bleachers, right behind the judges, because we tend to present more where the judges are. The programs are made to be seen that way.

The ice here is first rate because its softer. In Montreal, I train in hockey rinks, where the ice is a lot harder than the ideal figure skating surface. This is a wonderful rink; its in an older building, which makes it feel warm.

Source: http://enroute.aircanada.com/en/articles/hot-seats

mac
05-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Does anyone know what the club seats are like? They seem pretty far from the ice, but they are currently the "best available" seats online. Maybe I should call them instead of ordering online.

professordeb
05-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Count me as another who will not be attending due to the cost of B&B which is typically where I tend to stay. After finding nothing under $100/night and realizing that I would have no one to take care of the newest member of our family (puppy is now just 3 mos. old and come fall I'll likely be the only one home during the week) I have come to the conclusion that I'll have to skip Kingston. I was really surprised to find that the B&B were so high, especially after staying at B&B both in London & in Kitchener. I just can't justify spending close to $500 for 4 nights, especially given I'm not working and both my teens begin university this fall. {{sigh}}
Guess I'll have to wait for another competition to take place in Ontario at a later date.

rvi5
05-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Does anyone know what the club seats are like? They seem pretty far from the ice, but they are currently the "best available" seats online. Maybe I should call them instead of ordering online.

According to wiki, club seats are just below private box seats re: status.
Access is closed-off from the rest of the stadium, hence they are usually entered via a separate entrance. The club seats may have direct access to a lounge area with concession stands. I don't know what the club seats are like at K-Rock, but they appear to have an approximately $20 higher venue service fee.

rvi5
05-09-2010, 03:06 PM
...due to the cost of B&B which is typically where I tend to stay. After finding nothing under $100/night and realizing that I would have no one to take care of the newest member of our family (puppy is now just 3 mos. old and come fall I'll likely be the only one home during the week)...
I am in a similar situation. I would need to put my Doberman in a kennel (it's not like I can have a pet sitter walk into my home while I am away). Hence, the cost of the ticket, kennel, and a place to stay in Kingston would become too costly.

In the mornings, I commute to work on the VIA train instead of the GO. By the date of the competition, I will have accumulated sufficient reward points to obtain three free round trip VIA tickets to Kingston. If I skip the practise on Thursday, It is possible to attend on the remaining three days. My dog would be OK at home, since she has a dog door to go outside into the fenced backyard when she needs. Unfortunately due to schedule timing, I would need to skip the Gala unless I decide to drive on the final day. Of course, I will also be recording the entire event on TV.

In any case, I already purchased my ticket. I still have almost a half year before the competition to work out the details.

Does anyone know when the competitions typically start in the morning, and end for the day?

jtpc
05-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Haven't been to this rink, but my guess is that the seat numbers increase in the same direction that the section numbers do...that way the highest numbered seat would be at the aisle closest to the higher numbered section beside it. If you have seat 1 in a row in section 110, I'd say you're right beside section 109, whereas a higher numbered seat would be closer to 111.

Hope the K-Rock Centre is sold out for all days of the competition! :)

jykang
05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Just a note, if anyone is a member of couchsurfing.org, and you're coming from out of town, I am willing to host!