PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Disgraced Athletes

Pages : [1] 2

missflick
04-07-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1978157_1978159_1978230,00.html

Buzz
04-07-2010, 03:46 PM
That is quite a list but I am not sure Tiger Woods deserves to be on the same list as drug cheats. I am still so disappointed in Marion. She was one of my all time faves.

Rex
04-07-2010, 04:17 PM
That is quite a list but I am not sure Tiger Woods deserves to be on the same list as drug cheats. I am still so disappointed in Marion. She was one of my all time faves.

I can't even look at her now. Oh, so talented and so gorgeous!!!!

Ozzisk8tr
04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Where's Morozov? :shuffle:

skatingfan5
04-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Where's Morozov? :shuffle:He never was a high profile enough athlete to make his fall anything to remark about. :P I knew that Tonya would make the list -- and am rather surprised that she was only number 9. I guess time has a way of dimming things -- and some of the others committed much more disgraceful actions.

Rob
04-07-2010, 04:48 PM
I am not sure why McGwire and Johnson deserve to be on this list anymore than any other home run kings, stripped Olympic track and other medalists, Tour de France winner, who took steriods, HGH, etc. Some may have admitted it before others, but they all lied about it for some time. Some are still lying. McGwire refused to speak before Congress, but I don't think he lied under oath. Jones was also involved in a check kiting scheme so she's got other issues.

How about people like Jayson Williams, Rae Carruth. Or the Black Sox.

genevieve
04-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Is that list in any kind of order? Cause how OJ would not top that list is beyond me.

and I agree about Marion Jones. I adored her, was heartbroken by her. It will be interesting to see if she makes the Tulsa Shock team this year.

Garden Kitty
04-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Is that list in any kind of order? Cause how OJ would not top that list is beyond me.

That was my first thought. I guess Floyd Landis should be happy most people don't care about cycling, or he'd be on the list.

Beefcake
04-07-2010, 06:35 PM
:wuzrobbed Petey

skatingfan5
04-07-2010, 06:52 PM
I just took the time to actually read the paragraphs they had for the disgraced athletes, and realized that facts as well as notoriety seems to dim/blur with the passage of time.
In the run-up to 1994's U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Detroit, Harding's husband Shawn Eckhardt and ex-bodyguard Jeff Gillooly hired Shane Stant to take a collapsible baton to Kerrigan's knee during a practice session.Should I even mention it to TIME? :shuffle:

caseyedwards
04-07-2010, 07:03 PM
They should fix that mistake!

rjblue
04-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Ben Johnson has to be the #1 most shocking and heartbreaking. The whole world was watching him celebrate his victory and crown as the worlds fastest man. And then in a heartbeat it was all over.

The sad thing is that at that time, it was an even playing field, because they were all doing it. He just got caught.

He and Tonya are probably the ones who suffered most from their downfalls. They lost a lifetime of honour and fame, and their means of support before they had a chance to cash in on their achievements. Most of the others already had a fortune before their disgrace.

Beefcake
04-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Ben Johnson has to be the #1 most shocking and heartbreaking. The whole world was watching him celebrate his victory and crown as the worlds fastest man. And then in a heartbeat it was all over.

The sad thing is that at that time, it was an even playing field, because they were all doing it. He just got caught.
No, not everyone was doing it. Blatantly unfair statement. Embellishments by Johnson apologists and "everyone is guilty" conspirator types does NOT equal proof-of-doping!

Maybe a few were caught subsequently for other infractions, and have been blanketed with "must've been in '98" generalizations. I dunno. But, painting Johnson as a sort of victim ("heartbreaking" ... seriously!?) is either naive or ridiculous. IIRC, Johnson was the only finals fellow with a raging personality, yellow eyes, and the tell-tale anabolic roidy body (http://www.thesupplementblog.com/archives/BenJohnson1988Seoul100m.jpg)

The person robbed by Johnson's cheating was Carl Lewis, who did not have his rightful "moment" that day of that 100m final.

deltask8er
04-07-2010, 09:03 PM
I wonder if they were torn between Michael Vick or Mike Tyson :shuffle: .
ETA: Never mind. I see they are both there, which is both :) and :( .

I didn't know who Jack Molinas was :o . And I guess 'Shoeless Joe' Jackson is too far back in sports history for this list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoeless_Joe_Jackson

rjblue
04-07-2010, 10:05 PM
The person robbed by Johnson's cheating was Carl Lewis, who did not have his rightful "moment" that day of that 100m final.Well, Lewis wouldn't have been at the Olympics if his federation hadn't covered up doping charges so that he could go. That It was ephedrine though, and not steroids. But it raises questions about what means would a sports organisation go through to make sure their athletes passes their monitoring during training (in that era).

Linford Christie (3rd that day) and Dennis Mitchell (4th) tested positive in a subsequent event and served a suspension.

Some people believe the people who cheat get caught by drug testing. Some people believe that almost everyone uses drugs to enhance their training and athletes are caught when they make a mistake in their drug regimen.

It's really hard to defend either position- there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that the second case is more likely. But it's hard to be a fan of track events and try to rationalise cheating.