PDA

View Full Version : Khokhlova/Novitski - current status & future plans?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Eislauffan
04-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Funny the use of the word "retired". I've never heard it used to refer to a team withdrawing during a competition. Guess we'll know for sure this summer.

The press release actually used the word "withdraw" ("K/N have withdrawn...").
I just used the word "retired" in my post, knowing the sort of double meaning here.

Ituriel
04-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Does it say anywhere exactly what his problems are? I have heard his knee, his head [from a car accident] and some hereditary disease that killed his father. [And please God, I hope you dont tell me it's all of them].

The father of Sergei is alive

http://en.khokhlova-novitski.com/photo/photosessions/tv_park/59

http://en.khokhlova-novitski.com/photo/vancouver_round_about/77

But the car accident is true, and the knee injury is a consequence

Arianna
04-09-2010, 11:29 PM
I have heard his knee, his head [from a car accident] and some hereditary disease that killed his father. [And please God, I hope you dont tell me it's all of them].
never heard of any hereditary disease :eek:
yes, the knee is only part of the problem. the rumors are he still undergoes the consequences of brain concussion. they say he didn`t feel OK during all the season. the situation is rather like with Shabalin - he was back on ice when he still had to recover :wall:

sbanet
04-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Funny the use of the word "retired". I've never heard it used to refer to a team withdrawing during a competition. Guess we'll know for sure this summer.

In European competition, the terminology of "retired" is often used in the same manner as "withdraw/withdrawn" is in the states.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
04-10-2010, 01:24 AM

Could be a language thing.
Either way, there were interviews with K&N after Worlds (such as the one above), never did they mention anything about retiring to the Russian press.This type of thing usually makes the news. Also, there's nothing on their official site regarding retirement either.

The language comment does make sense. I have heard the word retired used before rather than withdraw in reference to skaters not being able to finish the competition yet for some reason that never occured to me in relation to K&N's situation in Vancouver.

So it is possible that K&N had to withdraw because of injury but will compete next season. tapdancer is right, we will find out later this summer.

haribobo
04-11-2010, 01:53 PM
If Rossano's website is your only source that confirms it, then its a pretty good bet its only a rumor. His site is like The National Enquirer of the skating world. He/they like to break news and post gossip and speculation but half the time its just guesses...

briancoogaert
04-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Night on the Bold Mountain was stunning!
Amazing, so powerful and interesting !

CaptCrunch
04-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Does it even matter what the future plans of K/N are? I mean, its clearly over for them. They've gone from 3rd at worlds in 08 to what a 8th or 9th place finish at olympics less than 2 years later. They will never see another world podium again. It obvious especially with his health concerns. The Russian team that won jr worlds this year is clearly the future of Russian ice dancing and they will be the ones who will be pushed.

As one Russian ice dance team goes up the other one will go down. ;)

nuge
04-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Does it even matter what the future plans of K/N are? I mean, its clearly over for them. They've gone from 3rd at worlds in 08 to what a 8th or 9th place finish at olympics less than 2 years later. They will never see another world podium again. It obvious especially with his health concerns. The Russian team that won jr worlds this year is clearly the future of Russian ice dancing and they will be the ones who will be pushed.

As one Russian ice dance team goes up the other one will go down. ;)

I wouldn't give up on them if they come back next season.They had crap OD and FD at the start of the season .Firebird was much better but they needed more time with it .
With better programmes and rest they still can :kickass: IMO

Tak
04-11-2010, 02:56 PM
I think a healthy K/N would still be Russia's top team. When they are on they are amazing. They were sacrificed last year for D/S - they should easily have beaten them, but Piseev and his wife were playing favorites. With them gone, let's hope the skating will be judged on its merits.

Ituriel
04-11-2010, 03:07 PM
"knock out" doesn't exist in figure skating:cool:

marishka9
04-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I am 99% sure K/N at this present stage are not a couple looking to skate toghter next year:duh:

Imperfect Edge
04-11-2010, 06:07 PM
I am 99% sure K/N at this present stage are not a couple looking to skate toghter next year:duh:

Can you tell us why you are sure? :)

Tak
04-12-2010, 02:44 AM

I'd also like to know what you base this on. Do you know them personally or this just something you've heard?

And assuming you are right [and I hope youre wrong] and they cannot skate together anymore, is Jana looking for a new partner?

DORISPULASKI
04-12-2010, 03:38 AM
And if so, who on earth is she likely to choose?