PDA

View Full Version : Khokhlova/Novitski - current status & future plans?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25

Pratfall
05-05-2010, 02:05 AM
:rofl:Well, of course an ice dancer needs to be more than a dabbler..but honestly, it's ridiculous that some people act like he'll step onto the ice and immediately splat...We won't know how good or bad this will be until we see the result.

But, he has been around ice dance for years and years , he grew up with his mother coaching ice dance ( can we assume she never did any work with him ? )..it would be a bit ridiculous to assume he knows nothing.;)

It goes without saying that no-one should expect them to come right out and challenge for the podium.

SamuraiK
05-05-2010, 02:30 AM
Gezz how bad did the try out with Stagniunas must have been so Jana actually prefered the non experienced, much taller, 28 year old singles skater?? If you ask me Khokhlova/Stagniunas would habe been a perfect solution for this situation.At least on paper, he is a much better skater than Novitski was and Andreev can be at this point.

Perhaps the pairing with Fedor comes with a special "Mommy Zoueva's discount" and that's why she chose him.. j/k

Tak
05-05-2010, 02:47 AM
Gezz how bad did the try out with Stagniunas must have been so Jana actually prefered the non experienced, much taller, 28 year old singles skater?? If you ask me Khokhlova/Stagniunas would habe been a perfect solution for this situation.

I'm mystified as well - would he have had trouble being released from his federation? Maybe they didnt want to wait the 2 years or whatever it would take?

:confused::confused::confused: I just can't understand this decision either. Someone said maybe it's love - that's the only reason I could understand - she's not thinking with her head.

bek
05-05-2010, 03:38 AM
IMO both I/K and B/S would benefit from not being Russian number ones too soon, if only there were some top teams like G/P and K/O to look up to and aspire to!

But such teams as I/K and B/S to be hurt by a team in which the male partner is a 28-year-old mediocre singles skater with questionable motivation, starting ice dance just now? The only way they can be hurt is by splitting their sides laughing. :rofl:

Well politics is politics, and if the Russians support Fedor and Jana, what can be done.

Tak
05-05-2010, 03:54 AM
Vaitsehovskaya's article

Pair Hohlova/Novitski no longer exits (http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/5438/)

I found Igor Shpilband, who went to his vacation right after Khokhlova's departure from Detroit on the phone in Florida:

- Now it's all up to them, he said. I think Fedor will need some time to come to a final decision. Marina and I don't have much to say on the matter - he is a grown man and it is about four years of his life. For me, as a coach, the possibility to work with them is interesting. I would certainly love to try. If only because nothing of the kind had ever existed in ice dance before.

Thank you so much for taking the time to translate this very long article! I tried to rep you in appreciation, but couldnt [I got the "spread it around" message :( ] - but THANKS!

Reading Igor again it seems to be saying that this is not a final decision, but something they are considering only. So hopefully maybe a better partner will be found? Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I'm a huge fan and I really want to see her do well.

Asli
05-05-2010, 08:33 AM
But, he has been around ice dance for years and years , he grew up with his mother coaching ice dance ( can we assume she never did any work with him ? )..it would be a bit ridiculous to assume he knows nothing.;)

Noone is saying he knows nothing. But Jana wants medals, not top 20, and for that she needs an ice dance partner.

If Andreev is any good in ice dance, how come his mother never teamed him up with a talented partner before the age of 28, even when it was obvious his singles career was going nowhere? There must be dozens of female partners available for the Shpilband/Zoueva camp if they looked for one.

Fashionista
05-05-2010, 08:34 AM
he grew up with his mother coaching ice dance
well, actually he grew up with his mother coaching pairs.

..it would be a bit ridiculous to assume he knows nothing.;)

Ok, he knows anything. Is it enough to win or get medals in this field?

mishieru07
05-05-2010, 10:29 AM
You gotto love this crazy off-season.

Definitely! :watch: Oh I can't wait to see them on the GP circuit! (They can and most likely will compete in the GPs right?)

I'd like to see the short dance too. If anything, just to have an idea of what we might see next season with all the hare-brained rules (Skate Gods, help us! :scream:).

I really wonder how good Khok/Andreev is. If the RSF and people like Ovsianikov and TAT saw potential in them ..... :shuffle:. Unless the Russian fed is seriously THAT desperate. But they only have 2 spots for Worlds; with 2 pairs of good young dancers who are potential future medal material (God forbid), is there really a point in having K/A?

I love all this drama! It makes the off-season slightly less boring. :D

Tak
05-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Definitely! :watch: Oh I can't wait to see them on the GP circuit! (They can and most likely will compete in the GPs right?)

:D

Will they? Maybe if they got an invitation to Cup of Russia, but otherwise I dont think they have any of those World Qualification points you need for GP assignments. This team is new, so they didnt compete anywhere last season.

Or will they get the points for K/N?

Autumn_girl
05-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Will they? Maybe if they got an invitation to Cup of Russia, but otherwise I dont think they have any of those World Qualification points you need for GP assignments. This team is new, so they didnt compete anywhere last season.

Or will they get the points for K/N?

No, they will not get K/N's points.
But I think if everything goes well, they will compete at the Rostelecom cup and maybe got an invitation to NHK Trophy or Cup of China, 'cause Japan and China don't have many competitive ice dance teams and Jana is well known in ice dance... Maybe not, but I think it's possible

Shine_like_stars
05-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if I am repeating some things. I can't believe this new pairing! At first I thought it was a joke/made-up pairing by FSU posters because seriously, what *hasn't* Fedor done yet? :rofl: He's like Mr. Versatile! :D Now he has skated for Canada, *almost* Azerbaijan :P and now Russia? And he has done race-car driving and modelling before/in between. When did he take the ice-dance test anyway? This pairing sounds so random. If he were to become a woman somehow (I know, not likely! :lol: ), he would have tried out all 4 disciplines. :P
I am not sure about the height difference, isn't he much taller than Novitsky and won't they look like too much of a pair? :shuffle: However, it is brave of him to come back, that is all I will say for now. And at least he is nice eye candy. :grope:

sap5
05-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Well, maybe Andreev is a genius. If he is, I'll take back my words with pleasure, but for now this seems like a good snarking point during the off-season. :P

Andreev is a genius. He's the only skater I know who was never really a star, hasn't done any serious skating in years, yet has a rabid fanbase and somehow makes his way into discussions every year. Trying to get on CAN's nats team one year, trying to get on AZE's the next, and now RUS in ice dance. Working the connections and the looks!

GarrAarghHrumph
05-05-2010, 03:07 PM
The guy from Lithuania is available? He must have 100 thousand million US women calling him for try outs. ;)

BittyBug
05-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Or will they get the points for K/N?HisWeirness addressed this issue in the Mukhortova / Trankov thread. Jana would not inherit her status from skating with Novitski, but she would receive a pass into the field of alternates.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2748126&postcount=436

TAHbKA
05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Andreev is a genius. He's the only skater I know who was never really a star, hasn't done any serious skating in years, yet has a rabid fanbase and somehow makes his way into discussions every year.
No, he's just THAT good looking