PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Thread 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

AragornElessar
09-29-2010, 06:12 AM
Congratulations Cincy fans!! It's been far too long for all of you. Enjoy the ride!! :)

Anyone else taping/burning/watching Ken Burns' Baseball : The Tenth Inning on PBS? First part aired tonight, second part tomorrow night. I taped it for my Dad and I can't wait for him to watch it. He'll really be happy I ended up doing this in the end, as it's just excellent.

It covers the walkout/strike, how Cal Ripken Jr basically saved baseball in the first Post Walkout/Strike Season w/his chase of Gehrig's record, the influence of the Latin ballplayer to the Big Leagues over the last twenty/thirty years and then up to the McGwire/Sosa show and a certain overinflated egomaniac in San Fran deciding that it wasn't right all of the attention was on them for only hitting Home Runs when he was ten times the ballplayer and thought "If I can't beat em, I'll join em...".

That's where the first part ended tonight.

It's really excellent and high quality, which is what I expect when I tune into a Ken Burns production on PBS. Once again, not disappointed.

Did anyone else hear yesterday that the Drunk Driver that killed Nick Adenhart of the LA Angels last year was sentenced to Second Degree Murder and a prison term that could anywhere from 50 years to Life? I really hope this helps gives Nick's family a bit of closure. What I really hope though? That other places took Drunk Drivers who kill someone due to getting behind the wheel when they shouldn't, be treated the exact same way as California does.

Anyway...At least the Family was able to get justice for their son, instead of having to deal w/seeing/knowing the person who killed Nick only getting a slap on the wrist and Probation.

On a bit better note...Tomorrow night, the Blue Jays will celebrate Cito Gaston's years of service to the Team at what will be his Final Home Game as the Manager of the Blue Jays. I wonder if a painting done by Vernon Wells' Dad will be part of the gifts from the Team to Cito? Vernon's Dad really does gorgeous work. The painting he did as the Jays gift to Paul Molitor being inducted to Cooperstown was stunning, so it wouldn't shock me to see another one of his paintings being gifted to Cito tomorrow night. :)

HeatherC
09-29-2010, 06:38 AM
F*ck yeah! Reds win 3-2! What a way for the Reds to clinch the NL Central title -- a walk-off homer from Jay Bruce! He'd hit into an inning ending double play with the bases loaded in the 6th and the game tied at 2. But with one swing of the bat in the bottom of the 9th, he clinches the title for the Reds! :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2:

Now please finish with the 2nd best record in the NL!

Yeah, I was there tonight. ;) I was actually IN THE BALLPARK when the Reds broke their LOOOOONG postseason drought and won the NL Central! I was standing for half the game, getting anxious when the Astros had guys on base, taking pictures of anything and everything, tweeting when I got a chance, and then I was screaming my head off and going absolutely bonkers when Jay hit that HR! I literally cannot sleep right now because I'm still SOOOOOOOOO excited about the guys! THE REDS ARE NL CENTRAL CHAMPIONS!!!!! :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer:

professordeb
09-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Congratulations Cincy fans!! It's been far too long for all of you. Enjoy the ride!! :)

Anyone else taping/burning/watching Ken Burns' Baseball : The Tenth Inning on PBS? First part aired tonight, second part tomorrow night. I taped it for my Dad and I can't wait for him to watch it. He'll really be happy I ended up doing this in the end, as it's just excellent.

It covers the walkout/strike, how Cal Ripken Jr basically saved baseball in the first Post Walkout/Strike Season w/his chase of Gehrig's record, the influence of the Latin ballplayer to the Big Leagues over the last twenty/thirty years and then up to the McGwire/Sosa show and a certain overinflated egomaniac in San Fran deciding that it wasn't right all of the attention was on them for only hitting Home Runs when he was ten times the ballplayer and thought "If I can't beat em, I'll join em...".

That's where the first part ended tonight.

It's really excellent and high quality, which is what I expect when I tune into a Ken Burns production on PBS. Once again, not disappointed.

Did anyone else hear yesterday that the Drunk Driver that killed Nick Adenhart of the LA Angels last year was sentenced to Second Degree Murder and a prison term that could anywhere from 50 years to Life? I really hope this helps gives Nick's family a bit of closure. What I really hope though? That other places took Drunk Drivers who kill someone due to getting behind the wheel when they shouldn't, be treated the exact same way as California does.

Anyway...At least the Family was able to get justice for their son, instead of having to deal w/seeing/knowing the person who killed Nick only getting a slap on the wrist and Probation.

On a bit better note...Tomorrow night, the Blue Jays will celebrate Cito Gaston's years of service to the Team at what will be his Final Home Game as the Manager of the Blue Jays. I wonder if a painting done by Vernon Wells' Dad will be part of the gifts from the Team to Cito? Vernon's Dad really does gorgeous work. The painting he did as the Jays gift to Paul Molitor being inducted to Cooperstown was stunning, so it wouldn't shock me to see another one of his paintings being gifted to Cito tomorrow night. :)

You must be psychic because Cito DID get a painting of him and it was done by Vernon's dad. I absolutely loved it. Oh, and the ceremony to honour him wasn't too shabby either nor the gift from the players which apparently was a Rolodex watch.
BTW, a big congrats to a team that has probably shocked a number of baseball people - the Jays will be at least a .500 club this season and there's no reason why they couldn't do better next year. Bautista - you are a BEAST!!! WTG my Jays.

AragornElessar
09-30-2010, 08:18 PM
You must be psychic because Cito DID get a painting of him and it was done by Vernon's dad. I absolutely loved it.

LOL!! No, not psychic. Just took an educated guess, as for the last few years when the Jays want to honour someone in a special way, they've gotten Vernon's Dad to do a painting for that person. It really is gorgeous!!

Oh, and the ceremony to honour him wasn't too shabby either nor the gift from the players which apparently was a Rolodex watch.

I was wondering if that was a Rolex or not, as the box looked like it, but we never got a shot of what was inside.

I was fine, until they showed that one shot from the celebration after Joe's Home Run Winning shot of the 93 World Series and there's Paul Molitor hugging Cito w/the tears just pouring down his face. That never fails to bring me to tears and then right after that, we hear the much missed voice of Tom Cheek saying what he thought of Cito to end the montage and... :wuzrobbed

BTW, a big congrats to a team that has probably shocked a number of baseball people - the Jays will be at least a .500 club this season and there's no reason why they couldn't do better next year. Bautista - you are a BEAST!!! WTG my Jays.

YES to all of that!!! Also, dare I say it, a possible MVP for Bautista this year? Maybe?

professordeb
10-01-2010, 04:23 PM
LOL!! No, not psychic. Just took an educated guess, as for the last few years when the Jays want to honour someone in a special way, they've gotten Vernon's Dad to do a painting for that person. It really is gorgeous!!

I was wondering if that was a Rolex or not, as the box looked like it, but we never got a shot of what was inside.

I was fine, until they showed that one shot from the celebration after Joe's Home Run Winning shot of the 93 World Series and there's Paul Molitor hugging Cito w/the tears just pouring down his face. That never fails to bring me to tears and then right after that, we hear the much missed voice of Tom Cheek saying what he thought of Cito to end the montage and... :wuzrobbed

YES to all of that!!! Also, dare I say it, a possible MVP for Bautista this year? Maybe?

I would simply lurve it if Bautista did but with all those other teams going to post season play I'm sure those who do the voting would find a reason to NOT vote for him.
One of those being that he plays for a team "up there in the GWN (Great White North).
Another could be "perhaps he's juiced cause he's never shown that much power before" and my answer - he's never been given a chance to play on a daily basis and not having to fear that making an error gets him out of the lineup. He showed what he was capable of last fall and then kept on for this season.

For all those nay-sayers about Cito - I say "sit on it and spin" and the appropriate thumb stuck in the air. Yeah, he had his favourites but if he was on your side, he'd stick with you through thick and thin - just ask a certain first baseman who struggled mightly, especially in the first two months.

Norlite
10-01-2010, 05:10 PM
We, the fans, got a lovely rememberance from that game too. A special commemorative ticket with his accomplishments printed on the back, and it was on a blue lanyard that has the Jay's logo and "Thank you Cito" printed all around it.

It was a great game, I've always admired Cito and I'm glad I was there.

AragornElessar
10-04-2010, 05:47 AM
Okay...First off, Congrats to the Giants and to the Braves for finalizing the National League Playoff picture. Also Congrats to the Braves for getting Bobby Cox one more shot at the World Series during his final season as a Big League Manager.

Second...Major, major kudos to the Minnesota Twins for their beyond classy treatment of Cito's final ever game as a Manager in the Big Leagues. They gave a donation to the Jays Cares Foundation in Cito's name and had a big presentation cheque given to him by Jack Morris, Paul Molitor and two other Jays Alum who are now Twins and I'm blanking on (It's been a busy and fun, but tiring weekend here w/us celebrating my Dad's 80th Birthday last night at our local Township Hall. Anyway...) and the fans in Minnesota also honoured Cito w/a Standing Ovation. Then afterwards, he stayed out on the infield to accept Congratulations from both Teams *and* the Umpire Crew.

He also ended his Stewardship of the Jays w/a win. Which is beyond fitting. :)

Another Regular Season in the books. Now bring on the Playoffs!!! :D

chipso1
10-04-2010, 05:53 AM
Second...Major, major kudos to the Minnesota Twins for their beyond classy treatment of Cito's final ever game as a Manager in the Big Leagues. They gave a donation to the Jays Cares Foundation in Cito's name and had a big presentation cheque given to him by Jack Morris, Paul Molitor and two other Jays Alum who are now Twins and I'm blanking on (It's been a busy and fun, but tiring weekend here w/us celebrating my Dad's 80th Birthday last night at our local Township Hall. Anyway...) and the fans in Minnesota also honoured Cito w/a Standing Ovation. Then afterwards, he stayed out on the infield to accept Congratulations from both Teams *and* the Umpire Crew.

I saw that too. Very cool! :) And congrats to Encarnacion from the Jays who had an outstanding series this weekend!

Now, onto the playoffs! The Twins get the Yankees for their ALDS match-up. I definitely think we have the talent to pull of the win(s), but we need our top players completely healthy! :( Mauer, Hardy, Kubel and Cuddyer are all a little banged up right now, so I'm glad the series doesn't start until Wednesday.

I'm soooo hoping this Twins team can go all the way this year; this is probably my favorite group of guys in a long, long time! It's been far too long since 1991!

professordeb
10-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Please Minnesota - get healthy and knock out those Yankees. Pleeeeease.

PDilemma
10-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Got an email today via mlb.com addressed to Mets Fans from the team owners. It basically says, "we know the team has sucked for four years. We are going to try to fix that now". Interesting PR move.

(And I am not that much of a Mets fan, just clicked them as my preferred NL team long ago, I think).

talulabell
10-07-2010, 12:49 AM
GO PHILLIES!!! Roy Halladay pitches a NO HITTER in the first game of the NLDS! One walk away from a perfect game. First pitcher since 1956 (?) to do so in the playoffs!

GO PHILLIES!

Beefcake
10-07-2010, 12:50 AM
No fun Halladay for the Reds (news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/06/phillies-halladay-no-hits-reds-in-playoff-opener/) :shuffle:

Stormy
10-07-2010, 12:51 AM
Roy Halladay is absolutely amazing. I've been a Halladay fan for years so to see that game was a thrill. Good for you, Doc!!

Stormy
10-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Please Minnesota - get healthy and knock out those Yankees. Pleeeeease.

THIS! Times 234945602391724583.

BelleBway
10-07-2010, 12:56 AM
I was waving my rally towel in my apt during the 9th inning. OMG. This is the only NLDS playoff game I'll be able to watch/listen to live... and WHAT a game it was! :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer:

Wow. A perfect game during the season... and a no hitter during the playoffs. Just WOW.