PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Thread 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

chipso1
09-15-2010, 05:10 AM
So, how about those TWINS!? :D

What an exciting 9-3 victory over the White Sox tonight! It was very back-and-forth until MN scored 5 runs in the 7th. I was shocked to see White Sox fans heading for the exits after that. Anything can happen, after all; if the Twins could score 5 runs in one inning, then Chicago is/was certainly capable as well.

I have really come to love my Twins this summer. They've been through so much adversity: losing their star closer (Joe Nathan) before the season even started, and losing their star first-baseman (Justin Morneau) in early July to a concussion. He hasn't played since, but the Twins have still managed to rack up a 7 game lead in the AL Central. :)

I must say, I have been most impressed with rookie Danny Valencia this season. He's come up with some BIG hits at some really key moments!

Go Twins!! :cheer2:

PRlady
09-17-2010, 04:18 PM
(sighs contentedly)

The Phillies are back in first place with a three-game lead over those pretenders from Hotlanta. The universe is restored. And we managed it with Rollins injured and Utley not all the way back.

Life is good.

Norlite
09-17-2010, 04:41 PM
On another topic...Any other Jays fans other than the ones in this house ready to march to Rogers Communications and lynch em for this stupid Sportsnet One channel that only, seemingly, Rogers customers can get!?! We're on Shaw Direct/StarChoice and since that piece of stupidity started, there's been no Blue Jays games anymore. Since Rogers Sportsnet has a monopoly on the Jays games....

I'm getting Jay's games on the regular Sportsnet. There's one on tonight.

My provider is Shaw/Starchoice too. (channel 416)

But on that subject, they should really be doing all they can to reach as many as possible. I've travelled to 3 games this summer, last time Saturday afternoon. (13-1 loss!) The park is all but empty. 14,000 only in Skydome should give them a clue.

KHenry14
09-17-2010, 05:11 PM
For the first time since 2003, My SF Giants are in first place in September. :encore:

They've done it by featuring outstanding starting pitching down the stretch with Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez and rookie Madison Bumgarner all pitching beautifully. Plus their bullpen hasn't allowed a single inheirted runner to score the entire month of Sept.

Look out National League, if this team makes the playoffs, nobody is going to want to face that pitching staff!

professordeb
09-17-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm getting Jay's games on the regular Sportsnet. There's one on tonight.

My provider is Shaw/Starchoice too. (channel 416)

But on that subject, they should really be doing all they can to reach as many as possible. I've travelled to 3 games this summer, last time Saturday afternoon. (13-1 loss!) The park is all but empty. 14,000 only in Skydome should give them a clue.
I have sportsnet ontario so I get some Jays games. However, on the nights that the Jays gets shifted to sportsnet one I get short-shifted with teams for which I have no interest at all - like those DAMNED Yankees or the Red Sox or someone else. Where I live, I have no access to anything Rogers so even if I wanted to switch, I can't.

And to make my life more miserable, my beloved Jays are on a losing streak. I was soooo hoping that they would finish the season with a record of .500 or better but that may not happen either. Alas, I feel gypped. Rogers you money-hungry conglomeration - you are not making this Jays fan want to go to the ball diamond.

chipso1
09-21-2010, 04:33 AM
Twins magic number: 3 (but could be 2 if the White Sox lose tonight).

:D

I'm so impressed with this team! They're now locks for the AL Central title, but they're also battling for the best record in baseball. I'm hoping Morneau is able to come back soon, or at least for the playoffs. A batting line-up of Hudson, Span, Kubel, Mauer, Morneau, Cuddyer, Valencia and Thome will be hard to beat! :)

HeatherC
09-21-2010, 05:00 AM
Reds Lead in NL Central: Seven games :D
Magic Number: 6 :cheer:
My Nerves: Totally shot and it's not even the playoffs yet :lol:

chipso1
09-22-2010, 05:15 PM
AL CENTRAL CHAMPS! :D

...and the second best record in all of baseball... :)

AragornElessar
09-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Congratulations Jose Bautista on HOME RUN NUMBER 50!!!!

BTW, I learned while watching that Cancer Telethon thing that was on a couple of weeks ago that MLB's a major supporter of this event/idea. In fact, apparently it was Bud Selig's idea for the whole Stand Up To Cancer events. Anyway, what has any of this have to do w/Jose's Home Runs or Baseball in particular?

Just this...According to what I heard that night a couple of weeks ago, whatever the final total is of Home Runs for each MLB Team's Home Run Leaders, there's a few zeros added to it and that is what the respective Team's donation to Cancer Research through MLB's Cancer Charities/Support of Cancer Resarch ends up being.

So if the Jays Season were to end today, then the Blue Jays would be donating $50,000 to the Battle to Drop Kick this thing into the deepest darkest hole from which it could never come out of.

Something tells me though that in the upcoming final games of the Blue Jays Season, that donation's going to increase a wee bit more. ;) :D

Congratulations Jose!! Thanks for giving us Jays fans something to smile about in September for the first time in too long time!!! :)

edited to add...Jose wasn't the only Ball Player to reach a Major Milestone today at the Concrete Pizza Pocket...

CBC Sports.ca ~
Ichiro reaches 200 hits for 10th straight year (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/story/2010/09/23/sp-ichiro-hits-milestone.html)

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't those potential Cooperstown stats?

Congratulations to Ichiro too!! :)

KHenry14
09-24-2010, 02:19 AM
CBC Sports.ca ~
Ichiro reaches 200 hits for 10th straight year (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/story/2010/09/23/sp-ichiro-hits-milestone.html)

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't those potential Cooperstown stats?

The answer to that is yes. While it's questionable whether he'll reach the magic 3000 hit club, as he started in America at age 27. But his lifetime avg. is .331, and he's led the league in hits seven times, and with ten straight 200 hit seasons he makes a great case for himself. Add in Gold Glove defensive fielding and the best arm in MLB during his time and over 400 stolen bases and you wont be able to keep him out. The knock on him is a very average on base percentage (hits+walks) which happens because Ichiro gets his bat on the ball alot and he doesn't take a lot of walks. But that's quibbling IMO.

Just one of the best hitters i've seen over the last 40 years.

AragornElessar
09-24-2010, 06:02 AM
My Dad and I were actually thinking the only knock against Ichiro going to the Hall would be being a Mariner and seeing so little Post Season Play over his years in the MLB when we were talking about this very thing the other night. You do bring up very good points though and ITA, he's one of the best hitters I've ever seen the last twenty years.

I really hope we see him being inducted into Cooperstown in a few years. :)

Dragonlady
09-24-2010, 06:43 AM
My Nerves: Totally shot and it's not even the playoffs yet :lol:

As nerve wracking as it is, would you prefer to be in "wait until next year mode" like so many of us? I didn't think so.;)

HeatherC
09-25-2010, 03:25 AM
As nerve wracking as it is, would you prefer to be in "wait until next year mode" like so many of us? I didn't think so.;)

I've been in the 'wait til next year' mode for the last NINE years with my Reds (this is our first winning season since 1999) so I'm well aware of the fact that this is much better! :P That doesn't help my frazzled nerves very much though, LOL :lol: :rollin:

The Reds finally clinching the NL Central this weekend would help my nerves a lot. Let's clinch this thing boys!! :D

Aaron W
09-28-2010, 06:03 AM
Right now if I had to guess what the National League division series match-ups will be:

Philly (NL E) vs. SD (WC)
Cincy (NL C) vs. SF (NL W) -- home field advantage will probably determine whether the Reds have any hope of prevailing over SF)

As a Reds fan, I'm hoping they can avoid playing either Philly or the NL West to start the playoffs. In order to avoid that situation, they'll need: (1) The Braves win the wild card, (2) Reds finish with 2nd best NL record. If both of those happen, the NL division series should be:

Philly (NL E) vs. SF/SD (NL W)
Cincy (NL C) vs. Atlanta (WC)

I think the worst case scenario for the Reds is the Braves winning the Wild Card and the Reds record being being 3rd or 4th best of the NL post-season teams. That would produce:

Philly (NL E) vs Cincy (NL C)
SF/SD (NL W) vs Atlanta (WC)

(obviously all of these scenarios assume the Rockies are out of it)

Aaron W
09-29-2010, 03:14 AM
F*ck yeah! Reds win 3-2! What a way for the Reds to clinch the NL Central title -- a walk-off homer from Jay Bruce! He'd hit into an inning ending double play with the bases loaded in the 6th and the game tied at 2. But with one swing of the bat in the bottom of the 9th, he clinches the title for the Reds! :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2:

Now please finish with the 2nd best record in the NL!