PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Thread 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

professordeb
08-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Those darned Yankees and A-Rod. He got his 600th homer off the Jays and they weren't able to sweep the pinstripes at home. Ah well, my beloved Jays did hammer them well for two games.

HeatherC
08-05-2010, 05:28 AM
Thank goodness ARod finally hit that stupid HR today. I know it's a big deal and he's only the seventh player to hit that milestone and yada yada yada, but I was getting extremely tired of hearing about it every twenty minutes on ESPN and after his admission of using PEDs in the past, this big milestone is a little tarnished for me. :blah:

Thank goodness for Ken Griffey Jr. and his clean career! :respec: :cheer:

BTW-My Reds are still in first place and it's now August. We're talking about the playoffs, magic numbers, pitching lineups, and are scoreboard watching across MLB almost every single night. This is INSANE! I haven't done this for so long with my guys and it just feels SOOOOO good! :cheer2:

professordeb
08-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Heather, enjoy the ride! It's always fun when your team is doing well. I would have to say that I've been known to cheer for the Reds back in the day of Johnny Bench and company.

AragornElessar
08-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Oh...my...GOD!!!

What a game and afternoon!!

But...I feel like I've run a marathon. Brandon Morrow was sooooo close to a no hitter. One freaking strike away and....Poor Aaron Hill's going to be reliving that play in his nightmares. He had the ball in his glove, but the way his glove hit the field after the catch and...POP!! Out it went. :(

Still...A one hitter and 17 strikeouts...Plus being doused w/a Gatorade shower followed quickly by a shaving cream pie by the guys...WOW!!!

And I'd said just before they nailed Brandon, "Watch your back my lad!!" LOL!!!

I hope Vernon's back soon. He saved the no hit bid in the sixth w/one heck of a catch, but he caught his foot in the padding of the fence and dislocated his big toe. Ouch!! I've had my share of foot surgeries and still will have in the future, so hearing about *that* hit just a wee bit too close to home. *shudder*

It was nice to see people wielding brooms after the no hit bid was gone though. Haven't seen that at the Dome in a very long time. Good to see again. :)

BTW, Yankees fans, you can send your Thank you notes to : Toronto Blue Jays, 500 Blue Jays Way....

;)

Regardless, they did hurt the Rays in their race w/the NYY for that pennant race this weekend. Combine that w/everything else that happened this weekend and....Wow!!!

How About Those Blue Jays!!! :D

professordeb
08-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Oh...my...GOD!!!

What a game and afternoon!!

[snip]

I was watching that game and I had a bunch of
OMG moments
but the play by Vernon made me yelp - for joy and then in pain.
Brandon - WOW, just WOW!! The post game interview never got finished since he ended up with two pies in the face after his gatorade shower. His 17 strikeouts is second on the list of Jays pitchers behind 18 by Rogers Clemens.
Will be feeling sorry for Hillsy but considering how far he had to go to even get to the ball, I'm hoping he isn't berating himself for not making the out.

Now what got me really excited about the games this past week -- the lowly 4th placed Jays took 5 of 6 games against the top two teams in their division. WTG Jays.

Dragonlady
08-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Another happy Jays fans weighing in on Morrow's Pitching Clinic. This looked like a video on "How to Pitch", subtitled "Location, Location, Location". One of the most masterful pitching displays I have ever seen.

As heartbroken as I was to see Roy Halliday go, watching all these great young arms, I can see why the Jays were willing to part with him. This is like watching the Jays build a team in the late 1980's under Bobby Cox, and then Cito took over.

Regardless of where they end up this year, this is just another year in the journey to respectability, and dare I hope, another Division pennant and post-season potential.

Stormy
08-10-2010, 08:28 PM
BTW, Yankees fans, you can send your Thank you notes to : Toronto Blue Jays, 500 Blue Jays Way....

;)

Regardless, they did hurt the Rays in their race w/the NYY for that pennant race this weekend. Combine that w/everything else that happened this weekend and....Wow!!!

Red Sox fans also are sending thanks to the Blue Jays for hurting the Rays ;)

HeatherC
08-11-2010, 01:52 AM
Oh my...nothing like a good old fashioned brawl to start off game #2 of the current Reds-Cardinals series. :eek: I'm glad no one got hurt but Carpenter and Molina are lucky they haven't been drilled by someone tonight (and Carpenter isn't even pitching this game) over the fact that they started most of the mess. Brandon Phillips talked some trash yesterday and apparently the Cards guys took it more seriously than anyone realized until tonight and Molina got in Brandon's face right as he was coming to lead off the Reds part of the inning. Benches cleared, Scott Rolen was playing peacemaker until Carpenter ran his mouth, Gomes was ready to take out anyone who touched one of his guys, Dusty and Tony LR both got tossed in the end (and were jawing hard at each other almost the entire time) and I'm sure some players on both sides will be getting a day or two off in the near future. Man, my dislike of the Cards is growing more and more by the day and I'll leave it at that because I don't want to offend anyone by taking that dislike too far. :mad: :yikes: :wall:

To my Reds: JUST WIN GUYS. :respec:

Dragonlady
08-11-2010, 03:30 AM

Don't be thanking us quite yet. Tonight's results notwithstanding, our intention has always been to do the same to Boston - especially to Boston.

:hat1:

Rhianna
08-11-2010, 03:36 AM
A brawl, classy. I'm glad we've won again but I feel like this rivalry is just getting to be too much.

AragornElessar
08-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Haven't seen any news yet today thanks to me knotting up my thigh muscle, which in turn made my knee more than wonky, and after two Tylenol and Gravol along w/a session w/our little massage "thumper" machine and I'm at least able to walk now. However, I was out like a light from a little after nine to quarter to four this afternoon. So....Obviously, I haven't seen or heard anything news or sports news wise today.

However...That sounds like one heck of a brawl last night between the Reds and Cards. Yi yi yi...The fines and the suspensions will be a comin today from MLB.

I keep meaning to link to it here and keep forgetting to, but Dave Steib wrote a wonderful piece for The Toronto Star on Monday about Brandon's close call w/a No No. I still have Monday's e-mail edition, so I'll find it in my Inbox, bring up the story again and then will be back w/the link. :)

professordeb
08-13-2010, 02:09 AM
For those who are Jays fans and those who like to see tributes to a job well done, may I present a "musical interlude" for your enjoyment.

http://www.thecheapseats.ca/2010/08/a-musical-interlude-blue-jays-brendan-morrows-onehit-wonder.html

Zemgirl
08-13-2010, 05:22 AM
Chipper Jones was injured earlier this week and now it turns that it's a torn ACL and he's done for the year (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5458167). :fragile: He had the same injury in 1994 and missed what would have been his rookie season, but now he's older and it'll be tougher to come back.

The Braves might be okay with the players they have - Omar Infante will stay at second instead of being a utility player & Martin Prado can play 3rd, and both are All-Stars. But this is very bad news and I hope it isn't the last we'll see of Chipper, who had been considering retirement anyway.

Dragonlady
08-13-2010, 10:02 PM

:slinkaway That was a cold dose of reality.

Jay manage to win 1 game in the series, and barely at that.

AragornElessar
08-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Okay...So I bop over to CBC Sports.ca to see what's going on and what do I see?

CBC Sports ~ Ex-pitcher Clemens charged with perjury (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/story/2010/08/19/sp-clemens-indictment.html)

About time!!!

On another topic...Any other Jays fans other than the ones in this house ready to march to Rogers Communications and lynch em for this stupid Sportsnet One channel that only, seemingly, Rogers customers can get!?! We're on Shaw Direct/StarChoice and since that piece of stupidity started, there's been no Blue Jays games anymore. Since Rogers Sportsnet has a monopoly on the Jays games....

Before anyone says just switch, we're in rural Ontario/Canada and Rogers does not service our area.

I didn't like it when I heard that Sportsnet was going to be the only place to watch the Jays this season, but then they pull this crap. I get Rogers owns the Jays, but this is a very, very, very bad business move on so many levels.

In fact, me thinks it's a violation of the CRTC laws, but don't quote me on that one.

Anyone else in the same situation?