PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Thread 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

AragornElessar
07-14-2010, 12:53 AM
Wasn't sure to start a separate thread for the All Star festivities, but we always keep everything together in the NHL/Hockey thread, so I'll put this in here. :)

Anyone else watch the Home Run Derby last night? Poor Vernon...He didn't do too well and it was a bit depressing to watch in this house. He *was* rushing though and not taking his time so he could get into the groove of things. He wasn't the only one who made that mistake either last night, so at least he had company in that dept.

How about Big Pappy though!?! Talk about putting on a show and I was delighted he won the thing. We may be in the same Divison, but this is one Jays fan who is also a Big Pappy fan. He just comes across as this big Teddy Bear of a man who believes that if you're not having fun in this life, then what's the point? I also loved how he came out halfway through Ramirez's time in the Final, when he was trying to catch the Big Guy, and toweled off Ramirez and told him to take his time and make sure he was seeing the ball correctly before swinging.

Now that's a Class Act and then some.

Going to be a sad Pre Game for the All Star Game tonight due to the passing of Yankees owner George Steinbrenner. Love him or hate him, he truly did love the game of Baseball w/a passion and he'll be missed.

Once again, the plans were to honour All Star fans from all the teams for their Charity work in the MLB Cities and I'm guessing they'll still do that. I was watching TWIB a few minutes ago and they showed some of the Honourees from last year and provided the web site addy to learn more about this year's Honourees.

MLB.com ~ People All Stars Among Us (http://mlb.mlb.com/peopleallstarsamongus/)

Just thought I'd post it for those interested in checking it out. :)

Little under eight minutes to go to the Pre Game Festivities. GO AL GO!!! :D

HeatherC
07-14-2010, 01:37 AM
I enjoy the All Star game. It's always a lot of fun and the HR Derby was pretty cool last night. Congrats to Big Papi for winning! :)

I'm also excited for this reason.....FOUR PLAYERS. The Reds have FOUR PLAYERS on the All Star team this year! :D This is HUGE for them because they haven't had more than one on the team in a long time. Joey Votto, Scott Rolen, Brandon Phillips, and Arthur Rhodes have all had amazing seasons and I am BEYOND thrilled to see them on the field as All Stars tonight. The Reds had a tremendous first half (first place baby!) and I'm so thrilled that they got recognized for that with our four guys being to Anaheim. It's time for the NL to get a win!! :cheer:

LuckyCharm
07-14-2010, 03:56 AM
I'm rooting for the NL this year because I'm a masochist.

There's still time, though. Bases loaded!

ETA: Gosh, I hope they don't blow this.

HeatherC
07-14-2010, 04:40 AM
NL has the lead 3-1 heading into the bottom of the ninth inning! Let's get this one guys!!! :cheer:

LuckyCharm
07-14-2010, 04:54 AM
:respec:It's about damn time!

FSfan107
07-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Woohoo, the National League won!:cheer2:

AragornElessar
07-15-2010, 05:20 AM
I'm also excited for this reason.....FOUR PLAYERS. The Reds have FOUR PLAYERS on the All Star team this year! :D This is HUGE for them because they haven't had more than one on the team in a long time. Joey Votto, Scott Rolen, Brandon Phillips, and Arthur Rhodes have all had amazing seasons and I am BEYOND thrilled to see them on the field as All Stars tonight. The Reds had a tremendous first half (first place baby!) and I'm so thrilled that they got recognized for that with our four guys being to Anaheim. It's time for the NL to get a win!! :cheer:

I know exactly what you're talking about, as it's been far too long a time since the Jays had more than one representative at the All Star Game and this year we had THREE!!!

It was nice to see a stress free Doc Halladay being interviewed by the Sportsnet guys before the Festivities started last night. I will never, ever, ever forgive that Jack you know what Riccardi for doing what he did to Doc at last year's game. Starting Pitcher for the AL and the former (Thank the Baseball Gods) Manager announces he's looking to trade him instead re signing him again....:lynch::lynch::lynch:

Sorry, but that was just bush league and classless to boot. I know Doc's got a chance to finally get to the Post Season in Philly, but...Sigh!! :(

Yes, we miss him and his wife Brandy in Toronto. Both did an awful lot of good when it came to Charity Work and...We miss them.

Okay...Got that out of my system for now.

It really was a great game last night. I know a lot of people don't like the entire Home Team Advantage in the World Series for the team that wins, but I think it makes the All Star Game better. The guys are actually playing for something important, as well as having fun, and IMO the quality of the game has gone up since this idea was brought in.

That's just me though. :)

I see the Jays traded Alex Gonzales to Atlanta today. I really liked what Antropolous said in the Press Conference about the short stop we're getting in return from the Braves. Sure he's having an off year this year, but he's also only 27 and maybe also the change of location will help him out of whatever was going on w/him in Atlanta.

Still...I like the trade, but will be waiting to see how it pans out before saying which team got the better deal from it.

Zemgirl
07-15-2010, 05:30 AM
I see the Jays traded Alex Gonzales to Atlanta today. I really liked what Antropolous said in the Press Conference about the short stop we're getting in return from the Braves. Sure he's having an off year this year, but he's also only 27 and maybe also the change of location will help him out of whatever was going on w/him in Atlanta.

Still...I like the trade, but will be waiting to see how it pans out before saying which team got the better deal from it.
I'm a Braves fan, and my take on it is that this could end up working well for both teams. Escobar is a talented guy but it looks like emotional/mental issues have been impacting his game, and it was clear that he was not going to sort out whatever it was that is keeping him from realizing his potential in ATL. A change of scenery could do him good.

The Braves get a proven guy who should fit in better with the team and hopefully help them win this season, and the minor league players who may work out long-term.

chipso1
07-16-2010, 02:04 AM
Joe Mauer with a bases-clearing, THREE RUN double in the bottom of the 2nd! :cheer2:

Already a high scoring game (Twins vs. White Sox)...6-4 with only two innings down!:eek:

overedge
07-17-2010, 06:07 AM
..and make up stories about why they weren't there. :mad:
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5386264

professordeb
07-17-2010, 03:35 PM
..and make up stories about why they weren't there. :mad:
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5386264

Well, all I can say is :rolleyes:
Can you tell I'm not a Yankees fan?

AragornElessar
07-20-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm a Braves fan, and my take on it is that this could end up working well for both teams. Escobar is a talented guy but it looks like emotional/mental issues have been impacting his game, and it was clear that he was not going to sort out whatever it was that is keeping him from realizing his potential in ATL. A change of scenery could do him good.

Very true on all counts. Very much liking what we've seen so far from him and that Grand Slam he hit on the weekend...:wideeyes:

I'd dropped my knitting needle on to the floor, so was looking down when he hit that ball. The sound of his bat htting that ball...That made me look up. :D You knew that thing was loooong gone.

He also made a great play last night by bunting. Something we don't see often in Toronto and we need to. That's the one thing about Cito that drives my Dad nuts. He just doesn't believe in bunting, so when it does happen, we pay attention. Not only did Escobar advance the player, but it was such a great bunt, he also made it to First.

Yes, so far we are very much enjoying the newest Blue Jay. :)

The Braves get a proven guy who should fit in better with the team and hopefully help them win this season, and the minor league players who may work out long-term.

Yeah...Not sure what was wrong w/Alex this season, but something was off. I'm hoping the move will do him good too. :)

Zemgirl
07-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Very true on all counts. Very much liking what we've seen so far from him and that Grand Slam he hit on the weekend...:wideeyes:

Yes, so far we are very much enjoying the newest Blue Jay. :)

Yeah...Not sure what was wrong w/Alex this season, but something was off. I'm hoping the move will do him good too. :)
So far it's looking like this was a good trade for both teams - the Braves are very happy (http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/07/22/gonzalez-has-been-a-perfect-fit-for-braves/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog) with Gonzalez, too. And no GS, but he was 4-5 yesterday and has been hitting well and doing a great job on defense.

Stormy
07-30-2010, 05:59 PM
So far it's looking like this was a good trade for both teams - the Braves are very happy (http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/07/22/gonzalez-has-been-a-perfect-fit-for-braves/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog) with Gonzalez, too. And no GS, but he was 4-5 yesterday and has been hitting well and doing a great job on defense.

I'm envious the Braves have Gonzo now. He did well with the Red Sox and I liked watching him play.

AragornElessar
07-30-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm envious the Braves have Gonzo now. He did well with the Red Sox and I liked watching him play.

I've also since heard through my sources that Sick Kids misses him too. Alex visited there whenever he could and did a lot for them. Nice to hear that actually and I hope he does the same in Atlanta.

When you're a Kidney Transplant Recipient and have a cousin who is a Dialysis Nurse, you end up hearing things about Star Athletes in Canada through the various Grapevines. Nice to learn Alex did what he did during his time in TO. :)