PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Thread 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15

Aaron W
10-09-2010, 05:54 AM
This team has a total of SIX guys who have had any playoff experience at all so they're a really young team and most of them have never been in this type of situation. They're learning the hard way that this is totally different from the regular season.

Except three of the four errors were committed by two guys that have plenty of experience in the big leagues. An excuse can maybe be made for Jay Bruce, but the back-to-back errors by Phillips and Rolen undoubtedly turned the ballgame around. I don't care that Phillips hasn't played in the post-season until now, he's been around long enough to not deserve any excuse making. Between the two of them (Phillips & Rolen), Arroyo was essentially forced to get 5 outs in the 5th inning. His pitch count went from what would have been in the 70s after 3 outs to the 90s by the 5th out. Ultimately it was Utley's two-run single with "four outs" in the inning that proved to be the game changer. From that point forward, it was all Phillies.

mattiecat13
10-09-2010, 02:54 PM
I'll be at Great American on Sunday night, too, rooting for a win. A guy I work with will be singing the National Anthem.

PRlady
10-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Life sucks so bad when you're a Cincy sports fan. :fragile:

I'd say I'm sorry but, uh, I'm a Phillies fan. And after all Mark and Amanda did do very well this past year, you can't have everything!

(I tuned out the game around the fifth inning to watch Gwen Ifill etc. When I came back from my policy wonkery there were the Phillies rallying to go ahead in the seventh. I was astonished!)

And Scott Rolen made some enemies when he left Philly, I would say the fans there are having some schaudenfreude this morning.

AragornElessar
10-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Just saw this at CBC Sports...

CBC Sports ~ Former Padres star confirms cancer (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/story/2010/10/09/sp-tonygwynn.html)

I've always liked Tony Gwynn. Wishing him the best!!

Aaron W
10-09-2010, 10:25 PM
"The doctors have told me they feel they caught the cancer early and there was not much of it there," he said in a story published Saturday.

Good to hear the doctors caught it early... though this part of the article disappointed me:

Gwynn said he was concerned the cancer could be linked to his career-long practice of using chewing tobacco.

"I haven't discussed that with the doctors yet, but I'm thinking it's related to dipping," said Gwynn, who resumed the practice of using chewing tobacco after the first two surgeries.

AragornElessar
10-10-2010, 12:36 AM
So was I Aaron, but I've got a Cousin who's addicted to Chewing Tobacco and has attempted quitting so many times over the years, I've lost count. He told me it's ten times more addictive than smoking is, due to the higher concentrations, and due to it staying in the mouth area that it's able to get into the blood stream faster. I didn't know that until he told me and he also said he wouldn't have known that if his doctor hadn't told him.

I've seen follow up stories on Ball Players who ended up w/Mouth and/or Throat Cancer due to "dipping" and it is an awful, awful thing. I think MLB has now banned it, haven't they or am I thinking of another sport?

I wish Tony all the best in his Battle both w/the Cancer and kicking the "dipping" habit.

talulabell
10-10-2010, 12:58 AM
re: Cinci's error-filled loss against the phillies:

Yes, the loss sucks (believe me, I was at a football game tailgate party and we were all screaming at both the football team for having a rough night and the Reds for all their errors, LOL :lol: )

snipped rest of very positive-outlook post

Were we at the same game last night ('course, being a Phillies fan, I wasnt having quite the same issues)?? :lol: I went to see my nephew play at Johns Hopkins last night. They played awful! They were down 45-3 in the 4th quarter. But I'm paying more attention to the Phillies on my blackberry! I had to refrain from cheering when the Phillies went up 5-4, because our (football) team was doing so bad!

AragornElessar
10-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Okay Everyone...Say it w/me w/feeling....

LET'S GO RANGERS LET'S GO!!!

professordeb
10-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Okay Everyone...Say it w/me w/feeling....

LET'S GO RANGERS LET'S GO!!!

I would join you but I just saw the results of last night's game. Alas, I am saddened that the Rangers had a large lead when last I looked and then this morning ... UGH!!!! Another Yankee comeback. Drats and darn!

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Damn Rangers! They should've had that game! Ugh!

It was only game 1. They can still win.

I need a team to root for in the playoffs and the Rangers are it, what with all the ex-Angels and everything.

professordeb
10-17-2010, 01:32 PM
OK, Rangers are back in it with that big win last evening. Gooooooooo Texas!!

HeatherC
10-17-2010, 05:12 PM
I need a team to root for in the playoffs and the Rangers are it, what with all the ex-Angels and everything.

That's kind of how I feel too although I have a huge soft spot for Josh Hamilton and mainly want to see him get to the World Series. He's an ex-Red (we are the main reason he's even playing baseball now after picking him up in the Rule V draft several years ago, he did well for us, and then we traded him to Texas for Edinson Volquez because our pitching was crap back then) and he's also a really great guy so I'm pulling for the Rangers mainly for him although I agree there are a lot of ex-Angels on that team (a team I also really like). Go Rangers!! :cheer:

AragornElessar
10-19-2010, 09:55 PM
No mention at all of that thing of beauty that was the Yankess getting kicked royally and in the Ninth Inning to boot!?!

That was just such a lovely sight to see last night. :D

It's official for those who haven't heard yet. AJ Burrnett will be on the mound for NY tonight and the fans are NOT happy about it.

Could be verrrry interesting.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-19-2010, 10:01 PM
No mention at all of that thing of beauty that was the Yankess getting kicked royally and in the Ninth Inning to boot!?!

That was just such a lovely sight to see last night. :D

It's official for those who haven't heard yet. AJ Burrnett will be on the mound for NY tonight and the fans are NOT happy about it.

Could be verrrry interesting.

I was thrilled! I practically cackled at that score. :D

AJ Burnett is an interesting pitcher. I remember a game against the Angels in which he was Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hide, in the same inning!

professordeb
10-20-2010, 01:09 AM
I remember AJ when he pitched for the Jays and the Jekyl/Hyde description can be very apt. Here's hoping he finds himself on the team with the short end of the scoring - please!!