PDA

View Full Version : The Fourth and Final Season of The Tudors

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

smurfy
06-16-2010, 02:41 AM
Loved 'Bess of Hardwick' by Lovell. Such an interesting lady, plus after I read the book in 08, and then was in England and saw her houses (Hardwick Hall & Chatsworth). Hard to believe her ascent in that time, but so intriguing
Also enjoyed The Sisters by Lovell - about the Mitford sisters, very crazy story, yet true story set in the first half of the 20th C England. One of the sisters married the Duke of Devonshire, in which Chatsworth is its base, same girl was first married to a Guinness heir, another sister knew Hitler and so on.
Gregory is not the best, but for quick reads, I enjoy them. I was picking the Other Boleyn apart on the birth order. I think I liked The Constant Princess (about Katharine of Aragon) and The Queen's Fool best.

MOIJTO
06-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Henry Cavill can sit on my bed anytime! :D

DubbalinGirl
06-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Just a quick question, because this week's ep left me feeling like I'd missed something. I thought there was no Memorial Day weekend episode, and the last one I remember, Henry collapsed standing at a table at the end of it. Then this week he's aged significantly with no explanation of what happened? Or am I remembering wrong?

Jenny
06-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Loved 'Bess of Hardwick' by Lovell. Such an interesting lady, plus after I read the book in 08, and then was in England and saw her houses (Hardwick Hall & Chatsworth). Hard to believe her ascent in that time, but so intriguing
Also enjoyed The Sisters by Lovell - about the Mitford sisters, very crazy story, yet true story set in the first half of the 20th C England. One of the sisters married the Duke of Devonshire, in which Chatsworth is its base, same girl was first married to a Guinness heir, another sister knew Hitler and so on.

Off topic, but smurfy if you are interested in biographies of interesting women, a few others you might like are My Just Desire by Anna Beer about Bess Throckmorton, wife of Walter Raleigh and Jane Boleyn (wife of Anne's brother who was executed with Katherine Howard) by Julia Fox for the Tudor period; Lady Franklin's Revenge by Ken McGoogan about John Franklin's (arctic explorer) wife in the 19th century; and The Bolter by Frances Osborne about Idina Sackville, an Edwardian who became the queen of the infamous Happy Valley set in Kenya.

I particularly recommend the latter two as very well researched, well written, highly entertaining and simply fascinating biographies that also take you to all kinds of interesting places.

MOIJTO
06-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Just a quick question, because this week's ep left me feeling like I'd missed something. I thought there was no Memorial Day weekend episode, and the last one I remember, Henry collapsed standing at a table at the end of it. Then this week he's aged significantly with no explanation of what happened? Or am I remembering wrong?

:lol: I am ok with having him look 20 years older from episode 8 to 9 but jeez what's with the voice. He was only 46 right? Yes, I know 46 in 1500 is like 85 now a days, but its downright hokey!

Lanie
06-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Henry Cavill can sit on my bed anytime! :D

He's pretty darn :hat1: even when aged to his 50s! :rofl:

DubbalinGirl
06-19-2010, 01:38 AM
:lol: I am ok with having him look 20 years older from episode 8 to 9 but jeez what's with the voice. He was only 46 right? Yes, I know 46 in 1500 is like 85 now a days, but its downright hokey!

It's funny but in a recent interview I read with JR-M he said that he had to "work on his voice" and I had no idea what he meant until recently. Yikes.

Wyliefan
06-19-2010, 02:01 AM

I recently read a couple of Nancy Mitford's novels. Fun romantic fluff, in that shocking-yet-proper British way. :)

CarolineL
06-19-2010, 03:56 PM

Henry was 56 when he died, so I think he is meant to be 54 in Episode 9

MOIJTO
06-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Henry was 56 when he died, so I think he is meant to be 54 in Episode 9

I thought he was in his 40's thanks! JRM's portrayal of Henry could have done without the voice adjustments it really cheapened the character to much for me. I know he is ill, but Henry Cavill's Charles is older is he not? I would think that they would have made Charles look even older. But then again its "entertainment".

michiruwater
06-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Charles should have been nearly 60 in that episode :shuffle: Instead of, you know, 30. Or whatever age Henry Cavill looked.

The voice was stupid.

Lanie
06-19-2010, 09:27 PM
I think Henry Cavill looks like he's in his 40s with the make-up and stuff. He's 27 or so, right? And JRM's in his 30s?

I don't think they ever addressed that Brandon was like ten years older than Henry...

MOIJTO
06-20-2010, 01:44 PM
I think Henry Cavill looks like he's in his 40s with the make-up and stuff. He's 27 or so, right? And JRM's in his 30s?

I don't think they ever addressed that Brandon was like ten years older than Henry...

Yes, I believe Henry Cavill is 27 and JRM is in his 30's. I think that JRM was given way to much creative freedom, shame on the director.

How many episodes are left? One maybe two, don't know if I can listen to that voice for the last shows. :rofl:

Bostonfan
06-20-2010, 04:28 PM
I believe tonight is the finale

Jenny
06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Off topic note for JRM fans - we just saw From Paris with Love last night, and really enjoyed it! Sadly JRM does not take his shirt off, has a slight mustache and speaks with an unsexy American accent, but he still looks great and it's actually a pretty good movie if you like action thrillers. Travolta at his best IMO.