PDA

View Full Version : The Fourth and Final Season of The Tudors

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Bev Johnston
04-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Culpepper was indeed accused of raping a woman and then killing her husband. Henry let him get away with it because he was close to him (bet he regretted that later). Never felt sorry for Culpepper because of this.

And Catherine was raised with zero supervision and was allowed to run wild until she was suddenly taken to court and paraded in front of Henry. She had zero preparation for what she was suddenly pushed into. I feel terrible for her. At least Anne Boleyn had a brain and knew what she was getting into, Catherine had no choice, and once people from her past kept showing up and blackmailing her, she must have been completely panicking

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm certainly no expert and the Culpepper/rapist/murder thing was something I had never run across in my very limited reading. I know that sometimes TPTB add inaccuracies to make the show more exciting/whatnot. Wasn't sure if this was the case, but now I know.

euterpe
04-14-2010, 02:11 AM
What isn't very realistic is Henry's appearance on the Showtime series: by the time he was married to Anne of Cleves and Catherine Howard, Henry had become immensely obese. Yet on TV, Henry is only very subtly aged and still slim.

Catherine was indeed allowed to run wild when under her grandmother's supervision; her mother had died when Catherine was a young child. She was brought to court by scheming relatives who saw a chance to further their own power by making her Henry's fifth wife.

IceAlisa
04-14-2010, 02:21 AM
What isn't very realistic is Henry's appearance on the Showtime series: by the time he was married to Anne of Cleves and Catherine Howard, Henry had become immensely obese. Yet on TV, Henry is only very subtly aged and still slim. Not only that, JRM is a pretty short and delicately built guy whereas Henry's skeleton alone was 6 feet, suggesting a much greater height.

cygnus
04-14-2010, 07:30 AM
I have seen her birth listed in a range from 1521 to 1525 so I guess its possible that she was 14 or 15 when she married Henry. Yikes.
She also was not raised with much supervision so that could explain the childish behavior.

Most serious historians put the date at the 1520-21 end of things, making her in her late teens on her marriage, possibly even into her very early 20s by the time of her death. Still young, but hardly a child.

AragornElessar
04-15-2010, 04:21 AM
And Catherine was raised with zero supervision and was allowed to run wild until she was suddenly taken to court and paraded in front of Henry. She had zero preparation for what she was suddenly pushed into. I feel terrible for her. At least Anne Boleyn had a brain and knew what she was getting into, Catherine had no choice, and once people from her past kept showing up and blackmailing her, she must have been completely panicking

And all of that, is why out of all of Henry's Queens, Kitty Howard is the one I feel the most sorry for. She really was a lamb sent to the slaughter in every sense of the word. :(

AragornElessar
04-16-2010, 05:19 AM
While checking out my favourite Royalty news sites today for anything new regarding the June Royal Wedding of the Crown Princess of Sweden, I discovered this...

Royalty.nu ~ Being a "Tudors" king changed Jonathan Rhys Meyers (http://www.royalty.nu/news/10/04/MocRhys.html)

An interesting read.

Jenny
04-16-2010, 03:25 PM
What isn't very realistic is Henry's appearance on the Showtime series: by the time he was married to Anne of Cleves and Catherine Howard, Henry had become immensely obese. Yet on TV, Henry is only very subtly aged and still slim.

I think anyone who watches it is well aware of the facts of Henry's appearance, and of course it makes for a more appealing story when he's played by a handsome actor.

However, I do think there's another benefit to this casting. Over time, there are really three things about Henry that have stuck: had six wives, broke with Rome, and was a big fat turkey-leg chomping pig.

Much has been forgotten about who and what Henry truly was. Even as I loathe many of the plot decisions made by the writers/producers of this series, I do applaud the casting as a way to remind us visually that Henry was much more than the stereotypes. And the facts do remain that he was attractive to women - as his looks deteriorated, he still had the power of course, plus he had a magnetic personality that attracted both women and men to his circle, helping him get things done through their loyalty and devotion.

By casting a physically attractive actor, you get the effect of the power of Henry's persona in his time, even as he grew old, ugly and smelly.

Yehudi
04-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Wheee, more possibilities of period series... I'm loving it.

Anyone who is a fan of historical series such as Rome should also check out Spartacus Blood and Sand. The first few episodes are :meh: but every episode gets better than the last, and the finale this weekend was just :eek: Plus brilliant acting by John Hannah and Lucy Lawless (yes, Xena) as a scheming, social climbing couple.

I've realized now that what's been missing from the Tudors since season 2 is a good schemer. So far, the Seymour brothers, Brandon, and Francis Bryan have not been able to match Thomas Boleyn in that department. Cromwell's downfall went by too fast and we were only given an episode or 2 of Edward Seymour and Brandon plotting to bring it about.

Rob
04-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I thought that Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk, was one of the chief schemers in this period but we haven't seen him in the series since season 1, have we?

Looking forward to the Borgias!

dbell1
04-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Watched the first episode online. I now may cave and get Showtime for the rest of the season. :lol:

Culpepper's a scary man. Still having problems thinking of sweet little Georgiana Darcy as Kitty Ho. Sarah Bolger was :kickass: in her brief scene looking down her nose at the 'stepmom'. Loved that total look of disdain.

MOIJTO
04-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Catherine was indeed allowed to run wild when under her grandmother's supervision; her mother had died when Catherine was a young child. She was brought to court by scheming relatives who saw a chance to further their own power by making her Henry's fifth wife.

Yes true about JRM being totally wrong for the King, but given the amount of flesh being shown, a fat King isn't what I wanna see! Sorry authenticity on TV is an illusion and I for one am grateful that the producers decided on the story lines being close to accurate and not the actors!

Yehudi
05-03-2010, 04:02 AM
Bumping this up. It seems like the angle they went for in regards to the motivation for Kitty's affair is that Henry wasn't always up to performing his husbandly duties due to his health and age. And they have tried to make him look less attractive with the slick hair and goatee.

In Episode 3, Bishop Gardiner said something to the effect that Henry Howard was a Lutheran. I thought the Howards were Catholics. In fact, I was always under the impression that the only reason why Queen Mary sprung Thomas Howard from the Tower was because the Howards were one of the most influential Catholic families in England.

BTW, they had a sneak of the Borgias after tonight's episode. Looks great!

Twilight1
05-04-2010, 05:47 AM
BTW, they had a sneak of the Borgias after tonight's episode. Looks great!

I youtubed it. For all my history love, I never heard of the Borgia's :eek:. So of course, I had to look them up and am getting a book on Lucrezia from amazon. I am really looking forward to this show and told my dad about it. He proceeded to tell me that Cesare was a patron of Leonardo di Vinci and was the template (by order of his father Rodrigo)for the modern version of the Jesus Christ likeness we see everywhere!!! :eek:

How could I have never known this stuff until now?

That said, I am looking forward to seeing Jeremy Irons be Rodrigo Borgia in this show.

I have only seen the first 2 episodes of the Tudors but looking forward to watching the next 2 back to back tomorrow.

IceAlisa
05-04-2010, 05:52 AM
Oh yes, the Borgias. A lovely, lovely Italian family of old. :shuffle: Wouldn't want to be invited to dinner chez Borgias.

ETA: What channel is this going to be on and when does it start?

Twilight1
05-04-2010, 05:54 AM
Oh yes, the Borgias. A lovely, lovely Italian family of old. :shuffle: Wouldn't want to be invited to dinner chez Borgias.

Ya, very sweet, docile people eh? :lol: