PDA

View Full Version : The Fourth and Final Season of The Tudors

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

nerdycool
04-05-2010, 04:50 PM
You can also watch it on Showtime's site and VuReel. I don't know if they fall under the same restrictions as the youtube one, but it's worth a try, right?

Showtime (http://www.sho.com/site/order/preview.do#/Tudors_s04_e01)
VuReel (http://www.vureel.com/video/3124/The-Tudors-Season-1-Episode-4)

Cheylana
04-05-2010, 05:28 PM
In terms of the cast/characters, gone are:

Francis Bryan
Good, I was getting tired of that eye-patch :P

olympic
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
So, I assume the final season will end with the death of Henry VIII? I believe it was mentioned in a previous thread that the show is ending because of JRM.

IceAlisa
04-05-2010, 08:45 PM
So, I assume the final season will end with the death of Henry VIII? I believe it was mentioned in a previous thread that the show is ending because of JRM.

I missed this: is JRM wrapping up because of another project?
Started watching the episode where Henry first notices Katherine Howard. Kinda blah.

Lanie
04-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Yes, it ends with his death.

I'm not sure why the series is ending. I wish they would have more episodes for Katherine Parr considering how fascinating she was but I guess they wanted to use two seasons to cover Katherien of Aragon and Anne Boleyn (I wish they used KoA better, showed her younger, and their relationship but I digress).

Bev Johnston
04-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Yes, it ends with his death.

I'm not sure why the series is ending.

I heard it was really an expensive series to make. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I found S3 a little less interesting than S1 and S2, also. I just couldn't get into the rebellion of the north and Suffolk's tortured conscience. Give me sex over violence any day. :)

Yehudi
04-05-2010, 10:32 PM
I heard it was really an expensive series to make. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I found S3 a little less interesting than S1 and S2, also. I just couldn't get into the rebellion of the north and Suffolk's tortured conscience. Give me sex over violence any day. :)

Price could be one factor, but then again Showtime announced they're making another Renaissance era series, this time about the Borgias (with Jeremy Irons playing Rodrigo/Pope Alexander VI).

nerdycool
04-06-2010, 05:36 AM
Huh. The Borgias sounds like it could be interesting!

And through looking for information about it, I came across another interesting thing being worked on that fans of The Tudors might be excited to watch.

Apparently, Showtime developed an interest in a series about Camelot a few years ago, but didn't go forward with it. Starz now has the US rights to it, and is a development stage at this point. But from all reports, it should premier in 2011. The way it's described is a little confusing though. The goal of the series is "to tell the universal story of Camelot on a global scale." Does that mean it's set in the 21st century? Or does that merely mean that they're making it more modern for the audience, but still set in the past, a la The Tudors?
Camelot (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i6e499b206b4e48ab8c0526dc641a056c)

myhoneyhoney
04-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Wheee, more possibilities of period series... I'm loving it. These shows feed my love of history and helps convince me more and more to pursue my dream of getting a PHD in history once all my kids are in school full time (my youngest starts kinder this fall!!!).

Lanie
04-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Wheee, more possibilities of period series... I'm loving it. These shows feed my love of history and helps convince me more and more to pursue my dream of getting a PHD in history once all my kids are in school full time (my youngest starts kinder this fall!!!).

You go! WHEE! That sounds so exciting!

I plan on getting a MA in History eventually. With Catherine Willoughby as my thesis topic, thus my annoyance with Michael Hirst for season 4 of this show. :rofl:

I'd love some more period shows. Honestly, I'd love a great movie about Mary. Sarah Bolger has done a fantastic job on the show and I've always been intrigued by her.

Bev Johnston
04-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Anyone watch last night?

I'm not wild about the characterization of Kitty Howard. I know she was young, but did she really have the reputation of being THAT silly and immature? After all she was 17, not 10. And I don't recall Sir Culpepper being a rapist, either. I'm certainly no expert on Tudor history, but I don't recall ever running across that in anything I've read.

As good as JRM looks, it's going to be hard to justify Kitty's affair with Culpepper in my mind. It would be more understandable if Henry were portrayed as the fat, stinky old man that he was by the time he married Kitty. However, I'm glad that JRM isn't fat and stinky. :swoon:

And might I add that Henry Cavill is looking mighty :grope: this season, too.

Rob
04-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Anyone watch last night?

I'm not wild about the characterization of Kitty Howard. I know she was young, but did she really have the reputation of being THAT silly and immature? After all she was 17, not 10.

I have seen her birth listed in a range from 1521 to 1525 so I guess its possible that she was 14 or 15 when she married Henry. Yikes.
She also was not raised with much supervision so that could explain the childish behavior.

Yehudi
04-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Anyone watch last night?

I'm not wild about the characterization of Kitty Howard. I know she was young, but did she really have the reputation of being THAT silly and immature? After all she was 17, not 10. And I don't recall Sir Culpepper being a rapist, either. I'm certainly no expert on Tudor history, but I don't recall ever running across that in anything I've read.

From what I've read, she was the least educated of Henry's wives and, as Rob pointed out, there wasn't much adult supervision when she was living with the duchess.

I wish they'd have introduced the son of the Duke of Norfolk last year, since it was the Howards who schemed to put Kitty in Henry's way and who played a large role in suppressing the Pilgrimage of Grace. It would have made more sense to have them than Francis Bryan.

CarolineL
04-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Culpepper was indeed accused of raping a woman and then killing her husband. Henry let him get away with it because he was close to him (bet he regretted that later). Never felt sorry for Culpepper because of this.

And Catherine was raised with zero supervision and was allowed to run wild until she was suddenly taken to court and paraded in front of Henry. She had zero preparation for what she was suddenly pushed into. I feel terrible for her. At least Anne Boleyn had a brain and knew what she was getting into, Catherine had no choice, and once people from her past kept showing up and blackmailing her, she must have been completely panicking

Kukucachoo
04-13-2010, 12:38 AM
even though I know what happens i still am excited! and ITA about loosing natalie dormer and my interest ( however she dies what esle could they do??)...

Oh I dunno....Pride and Prejudice and Zombies seems to have a following: Maybe Anne could have the ultimate revenge;).