PDA

View Full Version : Finnish skating news, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Nomad
09-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Pratfall. I wasn't sure what rhythm it was. Tango is the only latin music I know pretty well.

Pratfall
09-08-2010, 09:35 PM
:rolleyes:No probs..but I should have said it's almost always played as a rhumba..musicians like to experiment.

AnnaTheMusician
09-09-2010, 06:58 PM
A friend of mine whose girl started skating yesterday in EsJT said that he saw Laura on ice. Let's hope she's getting better!

Kati
09-10-2010, 06:04 AM
A friend of mine whose girl started skating yesterday in EsJT said that he saw Laura on ice. Let's hope she's getting better!

Hooray!! Wishing she will recover and be back on track soon! :hat1:

Hanna
09-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Why did Beata withdraw from her FS in Romania? :( I hope she's not injured.

I saw little Ilona Hirvonen skate today and she's got wonderful basics, good spins and the jumps aren't bad either. :cheer:
As you know, I'm really interested in all the up and coming names (skaters that are somewhere between 10-15 years old :)).

sk8gr8h8
09-11-2010, 06:07 PM

This is a great news! Please stay healthy Laura..
oh and thanks, AnnaTheMusician :saint:

caro-ira
09-12-2010, 03:56 PM

Thank you for the news. I hope she finds her form in time for the GP series.

shan
09-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Does Laura have all the triples now? (besides triple axel)

AnnaTheMusician
09-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I can ask my friend to spy more ;) It was his little daughter who started to skate, of course. You know that in Finnish you say "his girl" (hänen tyttönsä) when you should say "his daughter" (hänen tyttärensä) but both are ok in Finnish.

I'm still waiting for a participation list for Finlandia Trophy. STLL site told that they would give it during this week but I've seen only a few names. I hope Laura is there. And I just can't wait to see Kiira's new programs!

Hedwig
09-12-2010, 05:04 PM
A preminilary list is in the KnC forum in the Finlandia thread:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74633&page=2

Hanna
09-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Why did Beata withdraw from her FS in Romania? :( I hope she's not injured.
Answering my own question, it now says on the STLL website that she has a "hip joint inflammation" - that was just translating from Finnish as I have no idea about medical terms in English. Apparently it got so painful in Romania that she couldn't skate.

AnnaTheMusician
09-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Kiira was yesterday in YLE sports news, here is the interview; also some glimpses of the programs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAfMAUCLk54&feature=player_embedded

:cheer2:

Ankka
09-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Kiira was yesterday in YLE sports news, here is the interview; also some glimpses of the programs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAfMAUCLk54&feature=player_embedded

:cheer2:

WOW! She looks to be in great shape and that glimpse of the step sequence looked so much better than anything she's ever done! I sure hope she'll have a great season :)

Hanna
09-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Since there are no other news, I want to make a couple of comments about some of the juniors and novices etc. that I saw skating this weekend at the Tikkurila Trophy (http://tikkurilantaitoluisteluklubi.sporttisaitti.com/kilpailut/).

So if you're not interested in the younger generation, do not read the following. :P I guess I'm writing this down mostly for myself, so that I'll remember it better later. :lol:

First of all, Alisa Mikonsaari was skating in senior ladies. She'll also be participating in the Finlandia Trophy in a couple of weeks and she's considered one of the top choices for the 3rd Euro spot. In the SP she tried 3t-2t, 3lz and 2a. The 3lz didn't work out. She also tried it twice in the FS but didn't succeed. The easier triples (3s and 3t) she managed pretty well. To be honest, I find her programs quite choreography-less and boring. There's something I like about her but being rather consistent with the easier triples is her biggest strength IMHO, because the programs, the spins or the basics are nothing that special. She trains with Urmanov, doesn't she?

Ari-Pekka Nurmenkari was also there. He was clearly not skating 100% but more like testing his programs. Most of the jumps were a bit so-so (3a was clearly ur and some other jump landings were rough too) but he had a nice-looking energetic FP. Little Axel was among the audience - he's very cute. :)

In the juniors I was really looking forward to seeing Seidi Rantanen and Nea Viiri, who pretty much ruled the novice competitions last season.

Nea Viiri I just love more and more every season. IMO she's clearly better than both her sisters were. I'm not sure if she's just more talented or if changing clubs to EsJt a couple of years ago had such a huge impact - maybe both. But besides being a strong jumper she has really learnt to perform. Expression and interpretation are the areas where she has developed tremendously in a very short time - I'm so impressed! Her basics are also very good and she's a lot more polished than she used to be. Flexibility is still not a strength and it clearly affects her spins but, well, you can't have everything. She won the competition today with a total of 109.something.

Seidi Rantanen was also superb last season in novices and seems to be continuing in a good direction now in juniors. She had two new interesting programs (SP to The Feeling Begins though :scream:) and especially the short went very well. Her 3t-2t is still amazing - I wonder if she's practicing a 3-3. In the FS she had some slight problems but I'll blame first competition of the season and new programs. Also it looked like she was very focused in both her skates which made interpretation suffer a bit - but again I think that is at least partially because of new programs. I'm sure she'll be a threat in any national junior competition this season.

Eveliina Viljanen really surprised me in the SP by skating clean! And it was just so lovely. :) Unfortunately in the FS she was back to herself with popping and doubling here and there. SIGH. So much talent - gorgeous basics and flexibility and great spins, ability to jump - but the head just gives up. Which brings me to her clubmate Matleena Laakso. I already realized before that she's apparently been kicked out of the National Team. Now I don't wonder why. She's just completely lost all self confidence, it seems. :( During her whole skate she was just looking down at the ice and not even trying 100%. That was very sad to watch - knowing that she's so talented.

Noora Pitkänen has changed clubs from LrTl to LL. I'm very happy as I remember writing about wanting her to change clubs already a year ago. It'll take time but she has already found her lyrical side a bit more instead of all the rush rush rush unpolished stuff. It's clear that old habits still haunt her a bit but overall changing clubs has clearly been a step for the better. She had problems with jump landings this weekend and got a lot of -GOE. She really can't afford to give away points like that because it's not like the other elements are that strong for her - jumps are definitely her biggest weapon. Just a little bit more calm and more polish... and that should be good. :)

And then a couple of words about novices.

I was really impressed with Nelma Hede last season as she's only about 11 years old and already had doubles of very good quality and a nice 2a. Based on today she's at about where she was last season. A clean FP with 2a's, 2lz's and 2f's. And she won with a clear margin. Everything she does is of good but not superb quality, which you can also see from the protocols. But there's a good chance that she will e.g. gain even more speed in her spins as years go by as they are already of rather nice quality. Her program was really boring and didn't have much content, IMO, but other than that I still think she could be a name of the future.

Some other names in the novice competition were e.g. little Liubow Efimenko who was a lovely little firecracker (10 years old I think). She needs quite a bit more polish though. Another 10-year-old is Emma Niemi from HTK who has nice basics and has no real weaknesses in her skating. And then there was also a little Russian girl who I thought was really robbed in PCS :drama: but that's another story and doesn't really belong in the Finnish skating news... and I'm not sure the rest of this did either but... well there it is now anyway. :P

ETA: Oh and since it was the same arena where the Finlandia Trophy will be held in 2 weeks... I already had to go test my seat and video making possibilities. :P My seat could preferably be a couple of rows higher but I think I'll manage when the hockey glass wall thingies will be taken away. I trust they will. :drama:

Kati
09-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the report, Hanna! It was nice to read it.