PDA

View Full Version : Finnish skating news, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

Sylvia
02-20-2012, 04:22 PM
OOPS! ;) I forgot that she was at Euros and placed 17th (130.33) - I was looking at Turkkila's ISU bio (http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011695.htm) and missed it! Placing top 10 at Junior Worlds would be a worthy result for Juulia - it's a deep and talented ladies' field this year!

Mayra
02-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Quite interestingly, a bulletin for the media from Laura was sent out today by the FFSA, where she was quoted as saying: "I went to the trip with the honest thought of bringing joy to that people, and certainly also to seek the feeling of performing in front of an audiende after a break of almost 1.5 years. Only those two things were on my mind. I'm annoyed about the fact that a completely different purpose and image from the original has been created for the trip. I'm sorry for the confusion and irritation caused by my trip."

:rofl:

Well that sure sounds better than, North Korea offered me big $$ to go and it wasn't an offer I could afford to refuse. :P

IDC a.k.a. Ritti
02-22-2012, 01:24 PM
http://www.aamulehti.fi/Ulkomaat/1194723967604/artikkeli/strange+behaviour+figure+skater+fell+north+korean+ audience+applauded.html

cholla
02-22-2012, 03:30 PM
What I'm curious about is why some skaters do those shows more than once (e.g. P/B are there for the second year in a row). I can sort of understand going once: it's probably the only way to get to NK, and even knowing you're getting the guided tour, it would be interesting and educational to see what life is like in such a place. But I can't understand why anyone would return after visiting once.

Because they need the money. It's not as if they were courted by all the shows in the world and/or as if there were thousands of shows in the world for everyone to make money.

ioana
02-22-2012, 03:41 PM
http://www.aamulehti.fi/Ulkomaat/1194723967604/artikkeli/strange+behaviour+figure+skater+fell+north+korean+ audience+applauded.html

Random fall on her 2axel aside, her spins looked good and she seems to be in great shape. Looking forward to seeing Laura next season :cheer2:

Because they need the money. It's not as if they were courted by all the shows in the world and/or as if there were thousands of shows in the world for everyone to make money.

I think the fact that Plushenko waited until after this show to have his 2 surgeries is a good indication skaters get paid quite a bit for their appearance in the show.

Sylvia
02-22-2012, 04:20 PM
I've posted a YouTube video link of a Korean TV broadcast of the Pyongyang show (48 minutes) as a separate thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82670

senorita
02-22-2012, 04:21 PM
In the same show appeared also Plushenko. Our newspaper mentions that according to KCNA he commented that "people around the world were feeling sorrow over the death of the dictatator in December". Plushenko wished success to North-Koreans in obeying the commands of the new dictator.

In the same show was also Shen/Zhao, P/B, Denkova /Staviski and up to last year Yagudin had gone 3 times already. KCNA had him commenting something like like superb organisation, superb county and that he likes skating there, along the lines. Big fuss I say.

Vagabond
02-22-2012, 04:39 PM
In the same show was also Shen/Zhao, P/B, Denkova /Staviski and up to last year Yagudin had gone 3 times already. KCNA had him commenting something like like superb organisation, superb county and that he likes skating there, along the lines. Big fuss I say.

The fact that you don't have any problem with skaters being paid lackeys of a repressive regime doesn't mean the rest of us are fine with it.

Aren't you Greek? How would you have felt if the junta back in the early 1970's had hired foreign skaters to come in and salute the colonels?

ioana
02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
KCNA had him commenting something like like superb organisation, superb county and that he likes skating there, along the lines.

KCNA is the NK press agency. I'd take anything they publish with a large grain of salt.

allezfred
02-22-2012, 04:54 PM
The fact that you don't have any problem with skaters being paid lackeys of a repressive regime doesn't mean the rest of us are fine with it.

I think we kind of understood that by now. :P

The US (and other countries) don't have diplomatic relations with North Korea. France, Finland, China, Russia and Bulgaria do. These kind of sporting and cultural exchanges have a role to play in diplomacy. I would imagine the respective governments of the skaters will be interested in their insights on their return too. :sekret:

Aren't you Greek? How would you have felt if the junta back in the early 1970's had hired foreign skaters to come in and salute the colonels?

Delighted to see top class figure skating, I would imagine. :lol:

senorita
02-22-2012, 05:01 PM
^ That:lol:
But Foreign skaters dont put foot here nowdays either. :shuffle:

Do you think skaters approve other countries political situations when they go and skate there, besides N. Korea? I can think of one / two countries that their situation is not so "democratic".

allezfred
02-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Vagabond, do you object to the competitors going to Junior Worlds in Belarus next week?

IceIceBaby
02-22-2012, 05:14 PM
^isn't there a difference to skate in a international competition or to skate in front of members of a dictator government in order to celebrate and amuse them?

Finnice
02-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Vagabond, do you object to the competitors going to Junior Worlds in Belarus next week?

I am not Vagabond, but I do.

Vagabond
02-22-2012, 06:12 PM
I am Vagabond. :P

isn't there a difference to skate in a international competition or to skate in front of members of a dictator government in order to celebrate and amuse them?

Precisely.

This is the distinction I made in Post #568 upthread.

I don't have a problem with competitors going to Belarus unless it turns out that they do something like bow to portraits of Alexander Lukashenko (see Fabian Bourzat is quoted as saying in Post #555) or saluting him the way many Olympic competitors saluted Hitler back in 1936. I would also have a problem if a gigantic portrait of Lukashenko were displayed in the arena. There have been ISU events in Belarus before, and, as far as I know, nothing of the sort has happened.

I suppose I do wish that the ISU had chosen to hold the event somewhere else, but there have been so many international competitions organized by the IOC, its member federations, and similar bodies that have been staged in countries with repressive regimes that, once the decision to stage the event in Belarus has been made, I don't see any reason for athletes to boycott it.

Also, Belarus, while repressive, does not make it as difficult (if not outright impossible) for its citizens to mix with foreign visitors as North Korea does. The opportunity for foreign competitors, coaches, officials, and fans to associate with the locals has got to be a good thing for all involved.