PDA

View Full Version : Finnish skating news, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

joeperryfan
02-19-2012, 08:03 PM
What I'm curious about is why some skaters do those shows more than once (e.g. P/B are there for the second year in a row). I can sort of understand going once: it's probably the only way to get to NK, and even knowing you're getting the guided tour, it would be interesting and educational to see what life is like in such a place. But I can't understand why anyone would return after visiting once.

I'm guessing they pay very well, figure skaters have huge expenses and few sources of income after all.
If I lived in North Korea I'd be very grateful to those who wouldn't refuse to perform in the country since I as a citizen couldn't change the dictatorship or go abroad for new experiences. I don't criticize these skaters one bit and don't understand all the whoopla, it's not like their refusal would bring down the dictator...

love_skate2011
02-19-2012, 09:00 PM
I've seen some of the north korean skating clips on youtube. they were very happy to welcome international skaters and NK like SK. adores FS

hope to see Laura soon on other int comp.

ioana
02-19-2012, 11:31 PM
If I lived in North Korea I'd be very grateful to those who wouldn't refuse to perform in the country since I as a citizen couldn't change the dictatorship or go abroad for new experiences. I don't criticize these skaters one bit and don't understand all the whoopla, it's not like their refusal would bring down the dictator...

I'm sure these shows are anything but open to the general public and instead only the most loyal and zealous of the working class brethren are allowed access. I think part of the problem with going is the current regime portrays skaters being there as support for their rule (see Nathalie's stories about bowing to Kim's picture). So, while refusing to attend the show definitely wouldn't bring down the dictator, going there does help feed the propaganda machine.

kwanfan1818
02-20-2012, 12:49 AM
I suspect the loyal and zealous of the working class brethren will be chosen from those weeping and wailing at his father's funeral.

ioana
02-20-2012, 01:31 AM
I suspect the loyal and zealous of the working class brethren will be chosen from those weeping and wailing at his father's funeral.

Course. Extra food rations and better seats to be given for pulling out your hair, falling to your knees, or any other state-approved displays of grief.

love_skate2011
02-20-2012, 05:26 AM
this is getting off topic
but those grief were actually genuine but only because he is the only leader they know and portray him as a god with the help of brainwashing.

Marco
02-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Well, to be fair, Lepisto hasn't been receiving prize money (or funding too?) in the past seasons due to her injury and lack of competitive results. So this show may be an important income source for her.

IDC a.k.a. Ritti
02-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Quite interestingly, a bulletin for the media from Laura was sent out today by the FFSA, where she was quoted as saying: "I went to the trip with the honest thought of bringing joy to that people, and certainly also to seek the feeling of performing in front of an audiende after a break of almost 1.5 years. Only those two things were on my mind. I'm annoyed about the fact that a completely different purpose and image from the original has been created for the trip. I'm sorry for the confusion and irritation caused by my trip."

Finnice
02-20-2012, 02:34 PM
^Ritti beat me. Lepistö sounds sad and upset. Apparnetly she and her manager did not guess that it would cause trouble.
I hope that she enjoyed skating in front of public again, anyway.

Vagabond
02-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Well, to be fair, Lepisto hasn't been receiving prize money (or funding too?) in the past seasons due to her injury and lack of competitive results. So this show may be an important income source for her.

Unless the idea backfires, as appears to be happening.

By the way, according to her website, she has several "partners (http://www.lauralepisto.fi/en/Partners.html)," i.e., sponsors, including Nike, Audi, and KMPG. I wouldn't be surprised if she loses some of them now.

Finnice
02-20-2012, 03:40 PM
By the way, according to her website, she has several "partners (http://www.lauralepisto.fi/en/Partners.html)," i.e., sponsors, including Nike, Audi, and KMPG. I wouldn't be surprised if she loses some of them now.

ETA The sponsors say that it will not affect their partnership with Lepistö.

Sylvia
02-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Finnish news article (Helsingin Sanomat international edition in English): Finnish ex-European Champion takes part in North Korean figure skating event (http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Finnish+ex-European+Champion+takes+part+in+North+Korean+figur e+skating+event/1329103473183)

“The 21st annual Paektusan festival concluded with the appropriate ceremonies”, announced North Korea’s’ official news agency, the Korean Central News Agency, or KCNA.
According to the report, prizes were handed out to numerous talented figure skaters from Russia, China, Bulgaria, France, Finland, and the Democratic Republic of Korea (North Korea).

News reported by the KCNA about the event was used uninhibitedly to boost the personality cult of the late dictator Kim Jong-il.
“Every performance reflects the desire of the People of Korea to show Kim Jong-il great respect”, said Kim Jon-ho, the deputy secretary-general of the North Korean Figure Skating Association.
Laura Lepistö, the 2009 European Champion, took part in the Paektusan festival as part of the Champions on Ice group. Lepistö’s manager Erkki Alaja says that her reasons for participating were purely athletic.
“Lepistö does not want to support [the dictatorship] in any way. Participation can also promote positive interaction among nations. The world is currently full of countries where human rights are trampled upon”, Alaja said to Helsingin Sanomat on Friday.

Lepistö has been unavailable for comment, because she cannot use her mobile telephone in North Korea.
She has also been told not to speak about her visit, because exclusive rights to the story have been given to a Finnish sports magazine.

ioana
02-20-2012, 03:57 PM
The sponsors have not reacted. I guess the danger of losing them because of this is minimal, if nonexistent.

That's good news for her. I don't think Tomas lost any of his sponsors in the end, either after he went to North Korea last year. I do think the FFSA needs to get their act together, though -Zayak rule fiasco at Euros, not warning Lura about the potential backlash now...hibernating on the job.

Trying to get back on topic: did Juulia Turkkila ever compete as a Jr this season? Hopefully she can make the adjustment quickly because she has a decent chance of finishing in the top 10 at Jr Worlds in a few weeks.

Sylvia
02-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Trying to get back on topic: did Juulia Turkkila ever compete as a Jr this season? Hopefully she can make the adjustment quickly because she has a decent chance of finishing in the top 10 at Jr Worlds in a few weeks.
Turkkila finished 13th (110.58) at the JGP in Estonia this past October, then competed internationally twice as a senior -- Ice Challenge in Graz (9th, 108.97) and Nordics (1st, 138.23 ahead of Joshi Helgesson's 137.38). ETA: Turkkila landed a flawed 3T+3T, 3S and 1A in her Nordics SP, and 3T+2T, 2A+2T+2Lo, 3T and 2A in her 2nd place FS (also a 3S<< and doubles).

ioana
02-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Turkkila finished 13th (110.58) at the JGP in Estonia this past October, then competed internationally twice as a senior -- Ice Challenge in Graz (9th, 108.97) and Nordics (1st, 138.23 ahead of Joshi Helgesson's 137.38).

Thanks Sylvia! I knew she did quite a few events as a Senior, including Nationals and Euros, but I couldn't remember if she did any Junior event this year. She looks much better now than she did earlier in the season, so I'm hoping she has a good outing in Minsk.

http://bambuser.com/v/2362550 LP's from Nordics (Juulia's starts around 1hr:09 min)