PDA

View Full Version : Finnish skating news, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

sammyf
01-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Congrats to Eveliina Viljanen on her Junior Olympic silver team medal.

Hanna
01-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Congrats to Eveliina Viljanen on her Junior Olympic silver team medal.

I'm glad she had a better skate in the team competition (compared to the solo comp). :)

love_skate2011
01-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Laura making a show in North Korea, hope she enjoys it there and does
an amazing show for the audience

and lets hope this will be the start of her return to
International competition :)

IDC a.k.a. Ritti
01-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Nurmenkari got injured during the men's qualifying round at Europeans on Monday. His leg leg has now been examined, and the injury has been confirmed as a ruptured ligament. The doctor estimates the recovery will take about 6 weeks.
This would mean that Nurmenkari will certainly miss Nordics in February, but am I correct thinking he might still be sent to Worlds if he has the highest SB score after Nordics?

Finnice
01-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Nurmenkari got injured during the men's qualifying round at Europeans on Monday. His leg leg has now been examined, and the injury has been confirmed as a ruptured ligament. The doctor estimates the recovery will take about 6 weeks.
This would mean that Nurmenkari will certainly miss Nordics in February, but am I correct thinking he might still be sent to Worlds if he has the highest SB score after Nordics?

You are. And if he still has.:P We´ll seeeeeeee...

joeperryfan
02-01-2012, 12:49 PM
So Julian is going to Nordics instead of Ari?

Btw, the Rockettes official site should be higher in search engines, I was having trouble finding it...

Hanna
02-01-2012, 08:02 PM
So Julian is going to Nordics instead of Ari?

Probably.

Btw, the Rockettes official site should be higher in search engines, I was having trouble finding it...
I have no idea about that since I just remember that it's rockettes.fi and that's it. :)

joeperryfan
02-01-2012, 11:28 PM
I have no idea about that since I just remember that it's rockettes.fi and that's it. :)

It's not the first time I try to find it, I keep getting links to old sites and I only found this one because I went to the Club's site (yes, I dare browse finnish sites even though I understand the grand total of five words in finnish). Maybe it's a fairly recent site... or else they should really look into promoting it or doing some SEO, it's the freaking Rockettes!! They should be easy to find, any other synchro team is.

matti
02-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Kiira Korpi and her coaches are pondering about adding a 3lutz...wow just wow :P At least she's back on the ice and is flying over to Toronto. Hopefully Shae-Lynn Bourne is aware of the Zayak rule... :P

http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/Kiira+Korpi+palasi+hissukseen+j%C3%A4%C3%A4lle/a1305555345422 (in Finnish)

Finnice
02-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Kiira is unfortunately not sure if she can go to Canada, due to problems in her back thigh.

And andother bad news: Laura Lepistö´s participation for the Paektusan Cup has gotten a lot of criticism here In Finland. I am :( and :mad:at the same time. Sad, because Laura has had enough troubles and worries with her health in the last two seasons, and it is so good to see her back on the ice.
Mad, because her team plus FFSA knew about the reaction Tomas Verner got last year in Czech Republik when participating the same show. They chose to ignore the warnings.

Laura´s reputation and public image has been excellent so far, she has hanlded the publicity very, very well. It is not the yellow press which is after her now, but the quality media.

caseyedwards
02-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I am sure she always knew North Korea was a controversial country because of its dictatorship and human rights abuses but maybe it's like athletes going to China or former USSR.

Jaana
02-19-2012, 11:22 AM
In the same show appeared also Plushenko. Our newspaper mentions that according to KCNA he commented that "people around the world were feeling sorrow over the death of the dictatator in December". Plushenko wished success to North-Koreans in obeying the commands of the new dictator.

I am sure she always knew North Korea was a controversial country because of its dictatorship and human rights abuses but maybe it's like athletes going to China or former USSR.

Yes, maybe so.

Vagabond
02-19-2012, 06:01 PM

A better analogy would be those athletes who went to Nazi Germany and saluted Hitler. See Post #555 upthread.

The event exists to glorify the glorify the head of state, not to foster a modern version of Ping Pong Diplomacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping_Pong_Diplomacy) or to propagate the ideals of the Olympic Movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Movement#Mission_and_role).

I see from her website (http://www.lauralepisto.fi/en/Contact.html) that Laura Lepistö does, in fact, have an agent, Erkki Alaja. His Finnish Wikipedia page (http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erkki_Alaja) says he's written several books on sports marketing and sponsorship. He, at least, should have known better than to let this happen.

Zemgirl
02-19-2012, 06:25 PM
In the same show appeared also Plushenko. Our newspaper mentions that according to KCNA he commented that "people around the world were feeling sorrow over the death of the dictatator in December". Plushenko wished success to North-Koreans in obeying the commands of the new dictator.
KCNA is the North Korean news service, isn't it? I'm not sure that's the most trustworthy resource out there, so unless there's actual footage of him saying that, I'm going to defer judgment. And I seriously hope he didn't say it.

What I'm curious about is why some skaters do those shows more than once (e.g. P/B are there for the second year in a row). I can sort of understand going once: it's probably the only way to get to NK, and even knowing you're getting the guided tour, it would be interesting and educational to see what life is like in such a place. But I can't understand why anyone would return after visiting once.

love_skate2011
02-19-2012, 07:08 PM
poor Laura, :(

I as just happy she is skating again
this isn't new, international skaters have skated in north korea
French, Russian, Czech, even American skaters...