PDA

View Full Version : Finnish skating news, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62

Hedwig
09-19-2011, 12:06 PM
poor girl. :(

at least it gave me something to laugh, namely the google translation of the article about her injury:

"Figure skater Laura Lepisto does not seem to escape from any vammakierteestään. Hänen viime kautensa meni pilalle alastulojalan kipeytyneen akillesjänteen takia, ja nyt sama jalka on ärtynyt luistimen hiertämisestä. His last office was spoiled in the landing leg tendon due to non-alcoholic refreshments, and now the same foot is irritated skate grinding. "

Now we see how dangerous non-alcoholic refreshments are!!! Drink alcohol people!! :rofl:

Nekatiivi
09-19-2011, 04:09 PM
poor girl. :(

at least it gave me something to laugh, namely the google translation of the article about her injury:

"Figure skater Laura Lepisto does not seem to escape from any vammakierteestään. Hänen viime kautensa meni pilalle alastulojalan kipeytyneen akillesjänteen takia, ja nyt sama jalka on ärtynyt luistimen hiertämisestä. His last office was spoiled in the landing leg tendon due to non-alcoholic refreshments, and now the same foot is irritated skate grinding. "

Now we see how dangerous non-alcoholic refreshments are!!! Drink alcohol people!! :rofl:

Oh my, google translator dosen't seem to bee very accurate. :lol:

Still :( about Laura.

Hanna
09-19-2011, 08:58 PM
PML! How exactly can Google Translate come up with 'non-alcoholic refreshments' when the actual word is 'achilles'? :rofl:

oleada
09-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Alisa Mikonsaari won a competition in St. Petersburg with 124.91
Link: http://fsevents.narod.ru/event/s1112/cup1spb/CAT019RS.HTM

Hanna
09-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Alisa Mikonsaari won a competition in St. Petersburg with 124.91
Link: http://fsevents.narod.ru/event/s1112/cup1spb/CAT019RS.HTM

Thanks for that! I would've never figured that out myself. :lol: Not a bad score, I'd be happy if she had improved her overall skating quality for this season. We'll see in a couple of weeks. :)

Meanwhile, it's not really big news or interesting for most, but there have been three "international" (in theory, but mostly Finns :P) competitions here in the Helsinki area last and this weekend. I went to watch two of them (would've gone to the 3rd but it's a bit further away + can't really go to two different competitions during the same weekend :drama:). Categories included pretty much everything: springs, debytants, novice, junior and senior, A+B. I won't go into detail but there were some quite nice and promising skates in both novice and junior categories in all competitions. So based on all these skates all hope is not lost re: the future of Finnish skating. Of course there's still a long way from being a good novice competitor to being a succesful senior one but so far so good.

I was also wondering why one of the biggest ice hockey names (and you could almost say legends) in Finland, Ville Peltonen, was among the audience... but then I counted together 1+1. ;) Cool. :)

AnnaTheMusician
09-26-2011, 05:09 PM
I was also wondering why one of the biggest ice hockey names (and you could almost say legends) in Finland, Ville Peltonen, was among the audience... but then I counted together 1+1. ;) Cool. :)

Does he have a girl or a boy who skates?

So you were in Orton and Tikkurila Trophies? I checked also the result lists. Nothing really big but... Who is the name of the future?

maija
09-26-2011, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=AnnaTheMusician;3302118]Does he have a girl or a boy who skates?

QUOTE]

His daughters skate and sons play ice hockey.

Finnice
09-26-2011, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=AnnaTheMusician;3302118]Does he have a girl or a boy who skates?

QUOTE]

His daughters skate and sons play ice hockey.

So stereotypical:rolleyes: but good to have new skaters anyway.

Hanna
09-26-2011, 10:07 PM
A daughter. :) And quite a talented one - you may very well still hear about her in a few years. It's like with Kiira - obviously when daddy is good at ice sports the daughter also knows how to control her blades. ;)

So you were in Orton and Tikkurila Trophies? I checked also the result lists. Nothing really big but... Who is the name of the future?
Yep, these two. Plus there was another one in Hämeenlinna. I don't think there was anything "sensational" but some nice skates anyway.

Liuba Efimenko (12 years), who's a novice, has a 3sal and 3loop, which is pretty good for her age (mind you, she'd be competent in juniors (nationally) with those jumps!). Spins are also wildly flexible! I didn't see her skate now but I saw her last year and she was quite an energetic girl. This is from last spring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMBSqJLyERo). Her style is somehow very Russianesque all in all. She needs to lose the tights covering half of her boots though, HORRIBLE!

Jenni Saarinen (also 12, from Tappara) scored close to Liuba. She's also a good jumper.

Emilia Toikkanen (14, who just moved up to juniors) scored a pretty nice total of 110 points. One succesful 3sal and several double axels. Emilia's skating is just lurvely - very balletic and soft and graceful. She's an absolute treat to watch, I highly recommend!

Those were in Hämeenlinna, which I did not see.

Orton Trophy didn't really include anything fabulous. There were some younger girls whose skating I really liked but maybe it's too early to say if they will be something or not. But for an example, I really like Lilli Saksela (b. 2000). And also the Lindfors sisters (Viveca and Monica, 1999 and 2000) who have great spins and nice programs with choreography. Actually I think all HSK skaters seem to have programs with a lot of choreography, which I appreciate!

Another great performer is Saara Astola (who's also moved up to juniors and is 14). Jumps are unfortunately a mess but quite a few girls on the national teams should really take a lesson from her on how to work your PCS and perform and actually interpret the music. :swoon: I really hope she manages to make Nationals just so that we get to watch her skate.

Honorary mention from Orton Trophy goes to a little 11-year-old boy called Lauri Lankila. The teknik wasn't necessarily there, but oh my, did he perform! WOW! I don't think I've ever seen anything like that from such a little boy. He truly looked like he was loving every second on the ice! It'd be amazing if he learnt to also jump and spin a bit better - or at least do it in competition.

And then Tikkurila Trophy. My biggest new discovery was definitely Lyydia Määttänen from Tappara! She's 13 and skated novice and I didn't really remember her before... but wow, she's great! She had a 2a, 3s and almost a 3t as well. Good spins and basics. Her skating and movements are really sharp and done with good attack, which is wonderful. Definitely someone to watch, IMO!

Eveliina Viljanen has a gorgeous new SP but unfortunately she still doesn't have the good habit of landing her jumps. Well, actually she landed a triple both in the SP and FS here, which is good on her standards. She won juniors anyway.

Timila Shrestha had new programs but also a lot of jumps problems, unfortunately. Spins are still rockin' though! :kickass:

Finally, Seidi Rantanen now has a 3loop in her FS! :cheer: The attempt wasn't bad at all and I'm sure she has good chances of landing a clean one this season. Also, I think she's planning to do a 3t-3t since there was only one 3t in her program and it's her best jump (now it was a 3t-2t in the beginning). Great for her, I love it when skaters progress and add difficulty to their programs instead of keeping the same old same old every year.

OK I wasn't planning on writing this much when I started but I ended up babbling again. My favorite topic. ;)

sammyf
09-27-2011, 04:49 AM

Can you post the results links?

Hedwig
09-27-2011, 09:49 AM
[...] but unfortunately she still doesn't have the good habit of landing her jumps.

Best expression/understatement ever. :rofl:

Hanna
09-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Can you post the results links?

Orton Trophy (http://evt.sporttisaitti.com/orton-trophy-2011/results/)
Hyria Skating (http://www.hameenlinnantaitoluistelijat.net/kilpailut/hyriaskating/hyria_2011_results.htm)
Tikkurila Trophy (http://tikkurilantaitoluisteluklubi.sporttisaitti.com/kilpailut/kilpailut-ttk/tikkurila-trophy-2011/tikkurila-trophy-2011-results-tu/)

Jaana
09-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Feeling very sad because of Laura! Hopefully she will return, because I see her as our only medal hope in major competitions.

Hanna
09-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Eveliina Viljanen has a gorgeous new SP
Here's the beautiful music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG1gbOjWWdI
I don't recall if anyone skated to that before? If not, then I'm surprised because it's a really lovely piece for skating!

Kati
09-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Feeling very sad because of Laura! Hopefully she will return, because I see her as our only medal hope in major competitions.

I miss her skating and hope she will come back.