PDA

View Full Version : Finnish skating news, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63

pinky166
07-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Juulia is too cute for words :)

Hanna
08-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Former singles skater Jussiville Partanen, who did ice dance with Laima Krasnitskaja last season, has apparently moved to Canada and is now doing ice dance together with a Canadian girl, Sara Aghai. Coached by Wing/Lowe!
They represent Finland and are going to compete in the Australia JGP in September.
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013563.htm

In other news (or updated ISU bios :P), Bela Papp has a new FP (http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00009575.htm), which will apparently involve random music cuts galore. ;)
Beata, OTOH, must have a new thing for veils, since both her SP and FP (http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012517.htm) are about veils. :P

Hanna
08-17-2011, 10:04 AM
The Finnish Fed has new rules regarding national competitions - we're starting to follow the Russian way of having no lower age limit for entering either seniors, juniors or novices. Meaning that as long as the skater meets the fed's criteria for the specific category, he/she can be however young.

The rule has definitely had an impact as there are already quite a few skaters who are participating in an "upper" category nationally. E.g. EsJt's Nea Viiri will skate as a senior (although not internationally eligible yet this season) and Nelma Hede as a junior (internationally still not junior eligible). I'm sure there will be many more from other clubs. So quite a job for many skaters to have 4 different programs this season!

Kelvster
08-17-2011, 10:31 AM
That was my favorite part too when I saw the interview on TV. :rofl:

Lol!!!:lol:

joeperryfan
08-17-2011, 12:48 PM
The Finnish Fed has new rules regarding national competitions - we're starting to follow the Russian way of having no lower age limit for entering either seniors, juniors or novices. Meaning that as long as the skater meets the fed's criteria for the specific category, he/she can be however young.

Do you think this benefits the skaters or not?
I'm thinking of the Russian case in particular where the younger skaters consistently beat age eligible skaters who then go on the international circuit as 3rd or 4th at their national championships, I wonder what that does to their egos and performance... In Finland it's unlikely that the current seniors will be beaten by a junior but still I wonder about the police in general.

Northeagle
08-17-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm thinking of the Russian case in particular where the younger skaters consistently beat age eligible skaters who then go on the international circuit as 3rd or 4th at their national championships, I wonder what that does to their egos and performance... In Finland it's unlikely that the current seniors will be beaten by a junior but still I wonder about the police in general.

And, most of all, this could create some problems to the athletes for europeans and world competitions...

geoskate
08-20-2011, 04:35 AM
If you want to watch Aghai/Partanen, their short dance and free dance from BC Summerskate should be archived at this location (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bc-summerskate). You'll have to wade through a lot of other archived programs to find their short dance, but the free dance should be among the first of the archived programs since it was skated this evening.

Their short dance score at the BC Summerskate competition was around 45 points. They looked quite good - JGP-worthy, IMO.

Sylvia
08-20-2011, 05:09 AM
If you want to watch Aghai/Partanen
Their short dance score at the BC Summerskate competition was around 45 points. They looked quite good - JGP-worthy, IMO.
Here's the direct link to their archived FD: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/16764077

kwanfan1818
08-20-2011, 06:58 AM
That link is bringing me to the FD. The SD link is:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/16745070

A Rhumba CD to "Sex Bomb", wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! She's even more beautiful up close.

My internet connection is pretty powerful, but the FD videos in particular look slower and much more soft than the actual performances I saw tonight.

Aghai reminds me physically of Kharis Ralph, and Partanen reminds me physically of Nikolas Hogner. (I'm still :wuzrobbed: that he stopped skating.) Partanen has wonderful edges and flow across the ice. In the FD, they took speed into the twizzles and covered a lot of ice, he more than she, but she covered more than most top senior teams. The rotational lift, too, came out of speed, got great coverage, and consistent rotation speed and she made solid circles -- no wobbly elipses -- and it was top quality.

They still need to gel as a team and close in at the hips, but they look very, very good together. Unless politiks raises its ugly head, they could qualify for the FD at Worlds.

The results page is here; the results and protocols can be downloaded as .pdf files from this page. The FD isn't up right now, but I'm sure those files will be added to this page:

http://www.skatinginbc.com/results/super-series-bc-summerskate/results

A/P got L4's on everything but the midline step sequence in the SD.

Hanna
08-20-2011, 08:50 PM
I've tried to think about this but I can't really form an opinion. :lol:

A part of me does wonder if I'd really want to see 10-year-olds, no matter how talented, in senior competitions and I don't think I would - it'd just feel wrong in some ways, IMO. Even if the 10-year-old is more talented than the 20-year-old, I still don't think their place is necessarily in the same competition.

However, I don't think this will actually be the case in Finland in our current skater situation. The criteria for the specific category still has to be met and I don't think we have any "child stars" who are suddenly making a big jump up in the categories. Mostly the skaters who are benefiting from this new rule and making a change are those who are born after July 1st of a specific year and therefore miss the international age limit by a month or a few. So in our case we're not really talking about kids entering seniors but rather talented youngsters skating in a category better suited for their skill. At least that's the case at the moment - you never know what happens in the future, of course.

Hanna
08-20-2011, 08:55 PM
I figured Aghai/Partanen were participating in the BC Summerskate and already watched their SD yesterday and just now the FD (big :cheer: :respec: for Skate Canada for such excellent coverage!). I'm really not much in teknik in ice dance but it looked better than I expected. Horrible music choices though, IMO. :scream: ;) I can't stand Sexbomb.

Unless politiks raises its ugly head, they could qualify for the FD at Worlds.
Are you serious?? :eek:
Like I said, I'm not that much in teknik when it comes to ice dance unless the video quality is super clear HD (when I can call myself just "slightly in teknik" :P). :lol: It doesn't look too bad to my eye, but Jussiville has only been doing ice dance for one year. And the results of him and his previous partner were not that flattering. :P These scores are already double compared to what he got last season.

Hanna
08-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Oh and one more thing - Beata and Bela are also skating in the same competition this weekend. We should have videos and results of their SPs by Sunday morning and FPs by Monday morning. :cheer:

kwanfan1818
08-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Are you serious?? :eek:
Like I said, I'm not that much in teknik when it comes to ice dance unless the video quality is super clear HD (when I can call myself just "slightly in teknik" :P). :lol: It doesn't look too bad to my eye, but Jussiville has only been doing ice dance for one year. And the results of him and his previous partner were not that flattering. :P These scores are already double compared to what he got last season.
It's by no means guaranteed, but assuming Finland sends them to a senior B to get the miminum score for championships -- and they should easily be able to them (17 TES for the SD and 27 TES for the FD) -- and given how much they've accomplished in such a little time, they'll be able to go to Euros.

Last year the FD cut-off in the Euros prelims was ~66, or 5.5 points more than they skated here, and for Worlds was ~68, but it's the very beginning of the season. If they can up their FD score by cleaning up the -GOE and upping their three L2 and L1 elements, their SD score here was solid top 20 compared to 2011 Euros scores, and within 1.2 of the cut-off.

I hope they get in front of international judges a couple of times before Euros, but worst case is that they get experience at championships this year and qualify next year. He has fine skating skills.

maija
08-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Jussiville and Sara are listed as juniors in this club page of HSK (http://www.hsk.fi/jaatanssi/jaatanssiparit/)

HSK is the only Finnish club having serious Ice Dance nowadays and they have Maurizio Margaglio (http://www.hsk.fi/jaatanssi/valmentajat/) coaching!

The whole list of HSK Ice Dance pairs is very interesting:

Senior:
Henna Lindholm - Ossi Kanervo (represented Finland last season in the Europeans)
Olesia Karmi - Max Lindholm (juniors last season, but scored sometimes better than Henna and Ossi)

Junior:
Sara Aghai (CAN?) - Jussiville Partanen (He skated in juniors last season with a Finnish girl, former single skater)
Federica Testa (ITA) - Sasha Palomäki (She skated last season in seniors representing Italy f.ex. in Finlandia Trophy. He skated before in juniors with an Russian girl but had last season off. He is a former single skater. This can be a very promising pair!!!)
Maria Stepanova - Jan Nordman (neither has competed in ice dance before)

Novice:
Anna Reponen - Antonio Viitanen (neither has competed in ice dance before)

Very interesting!

Finnice
08-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Maija, unfortunately Testa and Palomäki are already split. They could have been a good pair!
Maria has had problems with the visa, so Jan might go to Russia to practice with her.

Both Henna and Ossi & Olesia and Max looked quite fine and happy in the practice on Wednesday, and Hanna has also been there in the :cold:Myllypuro rink, so she can wittness also.