PDA

View Full Version : Finnish skating news, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

oleada
11-28-2010, 07:47 PM
I agree with you, L_S. I think she has worked so hard, and it's really paying off. Everything from her skating skills to her spins to her jumps looks stronger this year.

victoriaheidi
11-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Just saw her Evita program...aside from the fall, I was impressed. I was also so happy to see her get back up and finish with a bang.

kwanfan1818
11-28-2010, 09:08 PM
The ISU accepts scores from Jr. Worlds and Jr. GPF towards minimum qualifying scores, and for this year, last year's scores count. Papp's SP total TES was 27.02 and his FS total TES was 38.71 at Jr. Worlds 2010, and both scores meet the minimum score requirements for ISU championships. Any more restrictive minimum score requirements are coming from the Federation.

MikiAndoFan#1
11-28-2010, 09:14 PM
^Her spins are definitely better, but everything about her seems stronger this year. She's faster, and before I used to think she had occasional awkward moments with her arms/upper body/posture, but I haven't noticed that so much this year. I'm really excited about her Euros/Worlds prospects.

I agree with you, L_S. I think she has worked so hard, and it's really paying off. Everything from her skating skills to her spins to her jumps looks stronger this year.

I agree with both of you. :) Kiira has improved so much since last season! I hope she continues to skate well throughout the rest of the season. Go Kiira! :cheer2:

Hanna
11-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Nice to hear some good feedback on Kiira too. :) !
This.

IMO the improvements she has made in her skating over the years are mind blowing. If you care to, you can check out her FS from the 2004 JGPF (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V-mAOgpBsE). The difference is unbelievable. Spin difficulty and execution, general difficulty of program, flexibility, expression and interpretation are from a completely different world nowadays. She may not have one thing she's really superior at (which is something that often tends to get noticed) but I think her biggest strength is that she has no real weaknesses. She can jump, IMO nowadays almost excels at spins, she's a strong interpreter, has powerful basics and good edges, transitions and program difficulty.

I admit it's definitely easy just to comment on someone's skating without thinking too much - I also do that constantly in the PBP threads. ;)
But Kiira is a skater whose skating I've followed very closely for quite a few years now. And it makes me :( to see the same "she only gets the points because she's so pretty and the judges' pet" every year, when she's worked so hard to achieve the level she's at and everyone who'd care and bother to could actually see the huge improvements she's made.

MikiAndoFan#1
11-28-2010, 09:29 PM
But Kiira is a skater whose skating I've followed very closely for quite a few years now. And it makes me :( to see the same "she only gets the points because she's so pretty and the judges' pet" every year, when she's worked so hard to achieve the level she's at and everyone who'd care and bother to could actually see the huge improvements she's made.

:respec:

victoriaheidi
11-28-2010, 09:51 PM

Ditto. I love seeing skaters improve, and Kiira has definitely grown, matured and become one of the world's top skaters. She may be physically gorgeous (she really is one of the most gorgeous people I've ever seen), but her skating has a beauty all its own, and she deserved the highest short program score of the season so far.

Nekatiivi
11-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Whole post

:respec:

Thank you Hanna, you said it perfectly!

Loves_Shizuka
11-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Ditto. I love seeing skaters improve

Exactly. This is why I'm really warming to Kiira all the time. It's the same reason I like Pang/Tong.

all_empty
11-28-2010, 10:52 PM
I like Kiira and also see the noticeable improvements in her skating.

She's definitely skating faster.

I do have to disagree about the jumps. The Lutz attempt looked better than it has in the past, but it's not quite there. The flip technique is still scary.

Still, hitting a 3T+3T in both programs, and two 3Lo and a 3S in the free ain't too shabby seeing what everyone else is putting out there. Aside from Miki, Raechal, and Mirai, I can't think any other lady is trying two 3Lz in the free.

Still it's not all about the jumps, as Carolina Kostner has shown. If she gets even just her 3F back, she'll be able to up that TES quite a bit.

Marco
11-29-2010, 02:09 AM
The Finns certainly have a knack for expressions. Everything Korpi did was crisp and to the point.

I am not sure I agree with the victory over Nagasu, but I am glad she is skating so well so far this season. Love her programs.

Ziggy
11-30-2010, 04:30 AM

I don't think you can deny the improvements she has made.

Her jumps are indeed much more solid this season.

But I still do think that she gets way too high PCS, in comparison to other skaters.

Northeagle
11-30-2010, 03:00 PM
PCS are often very subjective, Ziggy: but it's impossible judges they got crazy all together in Paris, and in other competitions too. Kiira's got a sense of music and grace much higher than other athletes, and I think her improvements are more in her mind than technical. But Hanna's right at all, she've worked very hard in her career, even despite of her mysterious illness. These are the years of full maturity for a skater, and she could get extraordinary results in these seasons.

Ziggy
11-30-2010, 09:52 PM
PCS are often very subjective, Ziggy: but it's impossible judges they got crazy all together in Paris, and in other competitions too. Kiira's got a sense of music and grace much higher than other athletes, and I think her improvements are more in her mind than technical. But Hanna's right at all, she've worked very hard in her career, even despite of her mysterious illness. These are the years of full maturity for a skater, and she could get extraordinary results in these seasons.

It's not going crazy, it's called "the halo effect." :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

poths
11-30-2010, 10:18 PM
The thing Im loving about Korpi this year is the fact that she is doing the same jump layout every competition. For the past 5 years she has messed around with content so much and this just added to her woes IMHO. I remember in one season she did flip and loop in the sp at Euros, lutz and loop at nationals, Flip and lutz at worlds...three different layouts for the three biggies of her season.

The 3toe/3toe was added to her Worlds lp in 2006 (successful in quals, not so much in the FP) this was a change to the Euro LP where she actually went CLEAN for the first and only time in her career.

Consistency is the KEY!