PDA

View Full Version : Finnish skating news, part II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

AnnaTheMusician
10-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I loved the SP! I think this version of Over the rainbow is very beautiful and not annoying at all. And the dress was gorgeus as well! FS needs still more passion and interpretation. But it'll come, I'm sure!

Hanna
10-04-2010, 11:50 AM
YLE is stepping up their game! Apparently they're going to broadcast 4 of the 6 GPs this season :eek: (naturally the ones with Kiira and Laura) + the final! :cheer: Most likely it will be something like top3 from each discipline but still it's better than anything before, so good for them (and us)!

Of course I'm still hoping to be watching everything live from an online feed, like every year ;)

Kati
10-04-2010, 12:03 PM
YLE is stepping up their game! Apparently they're going to broadcast 4 of the 6 GPs this season :eek: (naturally the ones with Kiira and Laura) + the final! :cheer: Most likely it will be something like top3 from each discipline but still it's better than anything before, so good for them (and us)!

Of course I'm still hoping to be watching everything live from an online feed, like every year ;)

That's really nice!

ioana
10-04-2010, 05:45 PM

Do they happen to have a live feed that wouldn't be geoblocked? Or is that just asking for too much ;)?

Nekatiivi
10-04-2010, 09:58 PM

:eek::eek:

I can't believe it! Makes me really happy. :D

Hanna
10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Do they happen to have a live feed that wouldn't be geoblocked? Or is that just asking for too much ;)?
I think that may be asking for a bit too much, unfortunately. ;)

HisWeirness
10-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Great news! :cheer:
Once YLE posts their GP schedule you should post it in TV Alerts.

Elka
10-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Or only ladies.

Kati
10-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Or only ladies.

Please NO! I want to see them all! :wideeyes:

Hanna
10-05-2010, 07:25 PM
After such a newsless summer I now feel like there's something to post every day! :lol: :cheer:

(And HisWeirness, I'll do as you told about the GP broadcasts ;))

First of all there's a new short interview with Laura on the YLE website (http://yle.fi/urheilu/lajit/muut/taitoluistelu/2010/10/loukkaantumisesta_toipuva_lepisto_ei_tingi_tavoitt eista_2033864.html). Basically to put it short she says that healthwise she's now OK but doesn't feel fit enough to compete after 4 weeks off the ice. The choreography of her new SP is by Maria McLean like before but apparently is "different and challenging". And her goal for the season is still to medal at Worlds, despite the injury.

But what's even more interesting is that Sportmagasinet on FST5 just featured Cecilia Törn, Alisa Mikonsaari, Beata Papp, Bela Papp, Viktor Zubik and Matthias Versluis! :cheer: All 6 talked about their strengths and goals for the season. It was filmed at the national team camp in August. I'm really thrilled that we got to see something on tv featuring the juniors! :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2: Not that I don't love Kiira and Laura :P but it's refreshing to see something about others, too. ;)

YLE Areena should have a link for this soon. Unfortunately it can only be viewed in Finland. :( But I'll watch it again now and edit my post with something from everyone. ;)

Cecilia Törn - Considers her strengths being positive and also good at interpretation. Is thrilled to be participating in the Finlandia Trophy at her home rink. It'll be her first senior competition ever. Goal for the season is to get the 3rd Euro spot.

Alisa Mikonsaari: Strength is interpretation. Says Urmanov is strict but also has a sense of humor. Goal for the season is to get the 3rd Euro spot.

Beata Papp: Strengths are jumps, and maybe also speed and interpretation. She's going to skate senior at Nationals. She was thrilled to get to go to Junior Worlds last season and always enjoys coming back to Finland to see all her skating friends, which she has known since she was a little girl. Would love to participate in Euros and trains hard for it.

Bela Papp: Strengths are interpretation and spin speed. Says that last season was "bad" because of growth spurts but now things are better and he's adjusted to his new body. Is planning to skate one more year in juniors and then probably move up to seniors (in 2011-2012).

Viktor Zubik: Strength is jumps and needs to get spins on the same level. Came to Finland because "the relationships between coaches and skaters" are better here. Says that "you just need to practice and believe in yourself". Says that the competition for the Euro spot behind Nurmenkari is very even.

Matthias Versluis: Strength is interpretation. Has had knee problems which basically ruined his last season but at the moment he's feeling better. He's also training ice dancing twice a week.

Sidenotes: I love the Kuopio dialect of the Papps. :D

Kati
10-05-2010, 07:28 PM
But what's even more interesting is that Sportmagasinet on FST5 just featured Cecilia Törn, Alisa Mikonsaari, Beata Papp, Bela Papp, Viktor Zubik and Matthias Versluis! :cheer: All 6 talked about their strengths and goals for the season. It was filmed at the national team camp in August. I'm really thrilled that we got to see something on tv featuring the juniors! :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2: Not that I don't love Kiira and Laura :P but it's refreshing to see something about others, too. ;)

YLE Areena should have a link for this soon. Unfortunately it can only be viewed in Finland. :( But I'll watch it again now and edit my post with something from everyone. ;)

I enjoyed the video clips of the young skaters very much!

Finnice
10-05-2010, 07:35 PM
^ I also watched that from Yle. You just get short glimpses from their skating, plus some interwiews. But there are Swedish subtitles and Matthias Versluis speaks mostly Swedish, so at least German speakers plus the ones with Scandiavian languages will understand a bit.

Cecilia Törn is very elegant and determinate. I really like her skating style and look forward to compare it to Alisa Mikonsaari´s next weekend. Mikonsaari looked very relaxed. She said that it was via her mother´s friend they got the contact to her current coach Alexei Urmanov. He is demanding, but not too. He even jokes sometimes. I guess Mikonsaari is fluent in Russian. She was wearing a black practice unitard with silver letters "skate" on her bottom (If someone remembers Navka´s Juicy,s/he gets the idea).

Viktor Zubik is surpisingly fluent in Finnish. He said that he only lives for this moment, even though he dreams of the Olys. Matthias Versluis has been suffering the "skater´s knee" the last season and has also tried ice dancing, but is coming backto singles now.

The sisters Papp were also interwiewed. Bela grew a lot last season and was frustrated to lose his jumps, but is now feeling stronger. Beata challenges Mikonsaari and Törn in the Finnish Championships. Her body lines are lovely!

Hanna will surely give you a more detailed translation.

Hedwig
10-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the summaries Finnice and Hanna. Quite a competition for the third ladies spot. Do you have a favorite for it? Or is there even a clear favorite?

And who is Viktor Zubik or where is he orignially from?

Hanna
10-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the summaries Finnice and Hanna. Quite a competition for the third ladies spot. Do you have a favorite for it? Or is there even a clear favorite?
I for sure don't have a favorite and I don't think there is one. The problem is that all 3 girls have different strengths and weaknesses - but unfortunately none of them is a whole package.

Both Beata and Alisa's biggest strength IMO is consistency with the easier triples. Beata is also quite expressive and a good interpreter IMO and she has nice speed. But both of them don't have skating skills to die for and the spins are nothing amazing either. And of course Beata has apparently been suffering from an injury so don't really know how that'll develop during the fall.

Cecilia Törn is quite different. She is sooo talented and she has programs with AMAZING choreography (done by Maikki Uotila-Kraatz). She has her triples up to the loop and she's expressive as well. But she's a Sasha Cohenesque headcase, unfortunately. :duh: Or at least has been so far.

So, who to choose? Someone with maybe more talent and better skating skills but who is :wall: OR someone who will probably skate quite well by her own standards but that standard is just average? Of course it'll probably come down to what they score in competitions this fall. I just hope that it won't be based on one competition and PB only. :yikes:

And who is Viktor Zubik or where is he orignially from?
He's from Estonia but moved to Finland 3 years ago. He won Nationals in junior boys last December with 3t-3t in both programs IIRC but really struggled in his both JGPs so far this season. :yikes:

Nekatiivi
10-05-2010, 08:21 PM
I have to say I root Beata for the 3rd Euro spot. Cecilia for sure has very much talent but her nerves really consern me. At the moment, I do not believe she could hold her head together at Euros. Beata on the other hand seems to be quite confident competitor. She dosen't have Cecilia's quality but she has nice speed and is a good performer.

Alisa is my least favoriete at the moment. Jumps are nice but she would need other aspects too. I hope she works on over all quality of her skating and non-jump elements :). It would also nice to see her having decent programs and dresses. Hopefully I can see those in Finlandia Trophy!