PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Stars on Ice tour April/May 2010: articles, fan reports & more!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Wyliefan
04-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Sasha came after Alissa in the first half. I didn't see Sasha stumble in her footwork, although I thought I saw a bobble on one move near the end -- I don't know what it's called, though. That move that's sort of like a spin where the leg comes up and the head goes down.

~tapdancer~
04-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks for all the great reports, everybody!

Frau Muller...weird how folks see things differently...I loved Todd, Evan, Mirai, Jeremy, Sasha, and D/W...all of the above were highlights for me. Agree with you about Yuka and Mike (he is total fun out there).

Garden Kitty
04-09-2010, 03:22 PM
It's interesting to read the various reviews and they highlight to me how difficult it is to put on a tour. People seem to have very varied views of what are the "highlights" for them and which performers didn't wow. The good thing is that it sounds like everyone had some numbers that they really liked and overall enjoyed the show. Looking forward to seeing it, and thanks for the reviews everyone.

Frau Muller
04-09-2010, 03:23 PM
...I didn't see Sasha stumble in her footwork, ....

She did, at the very end of the straight-line footwork, having to put her hand down to not outright fall.

RD
04-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Amazing how experiences differ! I must agree with FM about the skaters lacking charisma part; however, I don't agree on the skaters named. I think initially, the falls really took a lot out of the performances...Mirai I enjoyed the least (not a knock on her, necessarily, nor did it have much to do with the falls- she just didn't SELL the program. I feel that she was still in "competition mode" and gave up after falling...she should realize that she's no longer performing for judges). Alyssa's 1st number was just OK to me (as I said above). Her 2nd one was much better IMO and I enjoyed it (but clearly some others didn't). Cohen's first number (her SP) was alright- there were some highlights but I found that particular performance of it quite forgettable. Her 2nd performance was better but I still enjoyed Yuka Sato and Tanith Belbin a lot more. I've seen Cohen skate enough now to know that her style isn't really my type- although she has some "wow" moves, her overall skating just comes across as too "business-like" for me. I like to see skaters having fun performing, and I found it easy to tell who was enjoying it and who wasn't.

I know I'm in the minority but I liked the use of current pop songs. Being a young person myself, I can relate to it- and it seems genuine because (most of the) skaters are young as well. I got the feeling many of the older folks weren't really digging it (lol) but I liked it. I thought it was a nice departure from "the usual".

She did, at the very end of the straight-line footwork, having to put her hand down to not outright fall.

OK so I wasn't imagining things...it looked like she tripped up but I wasn't even sure if it was intended or not.

~tapdancer~
04-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey RD, I'm an older fan, but I keep up with current music, love it in fact, so I'm with you on enjoying the songs!

RD
04-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Hey RD, I'm an older fan, but I keep up with current music, love it in fact, so I'm with you on enjoying the songs!

:cool:

Frau Muller
04-09-2010, 03:39 PM
.... I've seen Cohen skate enough now to know that her style isn't really my type- although she has some "wow" moves, her overall skating just comes across as too "business-like" for me. I like to see skaters having fun performing, .....

Bingo, RD. You hit the nail on the head. Considering that Sasha has always said that she wants to perform and be an actress, I am disappointed to see that she has a relatively "blahse" performing quality in person.

QB
04-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Loved D&W's OD, but they apparently decided to pretend that the judges were on the opposite side of the arena from me, because I saw a lot of their backs. Oh well; at least I got to see that dance. It's the first time I've seen them live, and they're fabulous.

My reaction exactly. I was thrilled to see the program in person but the old Russian technique of playing to the judges is very disconcerting when you are on the 'wrong' side.

I am interested to hear the feedback on later shows because, on opening night, I thought that the on ice audience adjacent to the skaters entry point should get danger pay. The splats were frequent right at their feet.

I can understand Sasha being less than thrilled to be in a duet that seems like "anything you can do, I can do better" and (perhaps) being on the wrong end of the comparison. But she didn't seem a happy camper at any point in the show. Her interpretation of "Hallelujah" would make Leonard Cohen cringe no matter how well skated. IMHO

I imagine the show will get better each night and I'm happy I had the chance to see some terrific skaters.

Wyliefan
04-09-2010, 03:51 PM
And I heard she controls the weather and wrote the screenplay to Glitter!!

(Old Gilmore Girls reference. ;) )

RD
04-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah- whenever I see her perform it's more to me like "Look at the moves I can do!" rather than "Let's have a good time!" or even "Watch me perform". in addition, when I met her at the pre-show reception last year, she was the only one who didn't smile in pics. Not to say she was rude or anything, because she wasn't- I just think she's much more shy and reserved than most of the other cast members. And as I would describe myself the same way, it was definitely a nerve-wracking moment approaching her, for sure. Completely worth it in the end, though.

Still, that said, I don't completely doze off during her routines- she actually DOES have a quality to her that makes her an integral part of the show, IMHO. I think she just needs to refine her audience projection skills...a lot. If I'm sitting ON THE ICE and she doesn't reach me fully I can only imagine what it's like for the people sitting way up. But she's got the moves to impress people, definitely. I guess this might be a case of "different strokes for different folks" though, because she still gets among the biggest receptions of all the skaters. Maybe it's her name, I dunno.

Her MS last year was an exception IMHO though- I thought she did well with that song, but then again it's a song I actually like, so maybe that colors my view...

Wyliefan
04-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah- whenever I see her perform it's more to me like "Look at the moves I can do!" rather than "Let's have a good time!" or even "Watch me perform".

Still, that said, I don't completely doze off during her routines- she actually DOES have a quality to her that makes her an integral part of the show, IMHO. I think she just needs to refine her audience projection skills...a lot. If I'm sitting ON THE ICE and she doesn't reach me fully I can only imagine what it's like for the people sitting way up. But she's got the moves to impress people, definitely. I guess this might be a case of "different strokes for different folks" though, because she still gets among the biggest receptions of all the skaters. Maybe it's her name, I dunno.

Or maybe some of us actually like her! What a concept! :D

I'm off now to ponder deeply the subtle differences between "Look at the moves I can do!" and "Watch me perform!"

RD
04-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm off now to ponder deeply the subtle differences between "Look at the moves I can do!" and "Watch me perform!"

:lol: Maybe that wasn't the best way to put it. "Watch me perform" was meant more like "Let me take you on a journey".

Wyliefan
04-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Fair enough. :) I think she was great, but I understand that not everyone will agree. Different skaters for different folks. I would only caution against putting thoughts in skaters' heads. Like something that was said about Mirai earlier, for instance -- she did look disappointed with her skate, but I don't think we can say she deliberately disrespected her audience unless we actually hear from her about what was going through her head.

RD
04-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I would NOT say Nagasu "disrespected" her audience. That's a bit harsh IMHO. However, that said, (and this will come with more show experience), she will eventually realize that there is much more to entertaining an audience than simply skating clean (like it might be when competing in front of judges). Even on a bad day, fall(s) can easily be forgotten if you sell the rest of your performance/look like you're enjoying it. But she'll learn that with time, I imagine. Same with the other "eligible" skaters. Looking visibly disappointed afterwards (understandable reaction from an "eligible" skater) only magnifies the mistake(s) made and takes any enjoyment right out of the performance, sucks it right out just like a vacuum cleaner. Even Cohen understands this and just keeps on going despite mistakes. That's one good thing I'll say about Cohen- I may not be a fan of her particular style of skating but she (usually) doesn't let falls/mistakes take away from the rest of her performance.