PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Stars on Ice tour April/May 2010: articles, fan reports & more!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Jaana
04-06-2010, 08:07 AM
SOI isn't quite the skating show it used to be, but I still enjoyed it very much and glad that we have the opportunity to see live skating like this still. Very glad I was able to go.

Thanks for your great report! My guess is that this is just an exceptional SOI-season because of the Olympics, and probably next year they will have a regular cast and create really impressive ensemble numbers.

Frau Muller
04-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm looking forward to tonight's show in DC although I'm a little disheartened to read, in the SOI website, that most numbers performed by current or recently-eligible skaters are just rehashes of their competitive numbers. I guess that the creative/choreography budget was a bit low this year, like everything else in this economy.

At least the ensemble/quartet/duet numbers should be original. It will be a thrill to see Mirai, even if it's the Pirates of Carib SP again. :)

Debbie S
04-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm looking forward to tonight's show in DC although I'm a little disheartened to read, in the SOI website, that most numbers performed by current or recently-eligible skaters are just rehashes of their competitive numbers. I guess that the creative/choreography budget was a bit low this year, like everything else in this economy.It's the skaters themselves that come up with their individual numbers, not the show choreographers. I imagine that they are required to get their numbers approved by the show, to prevent 2 skaters from doing the same program and to make sure there is enough variety in music, etc, but it's up to the skaters to come up with their own programs. Between training for the Olys and then Worlds, I'm sure most competitive skaters haven't had a lot of time to spend on exhibition programs.

I suspect the show directors asked D/W to perform their OD, since it was such a hit.

CynicElle
04-08-2010, 03:57 PM
I, for one, can't wait to see D&W's OD live.

NancyNC
04-08-2010, 05:25 PM
The demographic may be older :lol:

Watch it. :P

Wyliefan
04-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm looking forward to tonight's show in DC although I'm a little disheartened to read, in the SOI website, that most numbers performed by current or recently-eligible skaters are just rehashes of their competitive numbers. I guess that the creative/choreography budget was a bit low this year, like everything else in this economy.

I actually like that part. I mean, I don't usually get to see competitive numbers live, so I like the idea of being able to do that.

TalentedButHumble
04-08-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm hoping to go to CSOI, where seeing V/M's modified FS would be a highlight. And if I had the $$s or got a free tkt. I'd go to SOI a few days later just to see D/W's OD.

Even if someone is fortunate enough to have already seen these in competition they're both such classic routines you'd want to see them again. I'd prefer them to some phluffy pop song.

BTW just watched a clip of JSOI rehearsal - Dice's LP music was playing so I wonder if he's performing that for those shows?

toepick
04-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I am looking forward to the show tonight in DC. In all my years as a skating fan, I have never attended SOI though I did go to COI a few times. I much prefer competitions, but I could not resist buying a ticket to see this crop of skaters.

Hope I can see. I refused to spend a lot and bought the $28 tickets on the lower level ends.

BlueRidge
04-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I did the same toepick, got the lowest price ticket on the lower end. Maybe we'll be sitting near each other. :) I'm looking forward to the show tonight.

Frau Muller
04-08-2010, 09:19 PM
It's the skaters themselves that come up with their individual numbers, not the show choreographers. .....

That wasn't the norm in the old days of SOI, sorry. It was in COI but SOI had a choreographic integrity. For example, I remember that Sandra Bezik choreographed a lot of Kristi's (and other single skates') numbers expressly for the show. COI, on the other hand, was a mish-mash without choreographic integrity; even the COI group numbers appeared slapped together.

Well, here's hoping for the best tonight....that it is more like 'old SOI' than 'old COI.'

~tapdancer~
04-08-2010, 09:24 PM
When Sandra Bezic and Michael Seibert were choreographers, there were some fantastic group numbers. Christopher Dean did some great ones, too, I remember the one with the chairs...wow. I saw that one live.

Frau Muller
04-08-2010, 09:29 PM
When Sandra Bezic and Michael Seibert were choreographers, there were some fantastic group numbers. Christopher Dean did some great ones, too, I remember the one with the chairs...wow. I saw that one live.

Absolutely. That's what I mean. I loved the themes and choreographic vision for the entire show. One had the feeling that the entire cast DID live and rehearse together in Lake Placid for a long time before the opening night.

milanessa
04-08-2010, 09:33 PM
One had the feeling that the entire cast DID live and rehearse together in Lake Placid for a long time before the opening night.

One might have that feeling because they did "live and rehearse together in Lake Placid for a long time before the opening night."

~tapdancer~
04-08-2010, 09:36 PM
And there was a larger "core" group. Now it's just Michael, Todd, Yuka, Sasha. No pairs and B/A just came on full time this year and who knows if they are really done with competing. D/W are doing 40 shows but they've made it clear they are still competitive. The rest are current competitive skaters doing guest spots. It's a great show but as I said, it's just not the same.

kwanette
04-08-2010, 10:39 PM
One might have that feeling because they did "live and rehearse together in Lake Placid for a long time before the opening night."

True. They were all professional skaters then...not a sprinkling of eligibles here and there along the tour....and "guest appearances"..