PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Stars on Ice tour April/May 2010: articles, fan reports & more!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

tarotx
05-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah maybe they didn't want to deal with Tara and that is also why Rachael joined the tour late. JK ha ha. I'm sure Jeremy's call came to his agent and not directly to him.

REO
05-16-2010, 10:15 PM
OMG How adorable was Jeremy as a little one?! I'd never seen a picture of him as a child. He was button cute. Thanks for posting that blog link Skittl1321.

jlai
05-18-2010, 01:49 AM
Figure skater Rachael Flatt, touring with Stars on Ice, also taking time to breathe
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/05/rachael-flatt-figure-skating-winter-olympics-vancouver-mirai-nagasu.html

jlai
05-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Students wowed by skating champ
http://www.dailycamera.com/schoolchoice/ci_15095677#axzz0oEoCqPNf

Olympian skates hope into Niwot Elementary students
http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=21966

Anita18
05-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Just got back from LA SOI. My bf was the one who got the tickets, and not having ever been to Staples Center despite living here for 10 years, had assumed that they'd have our names on a list and we wouldn't have to bring printouts or anything. :rofl: Luckily I had the foresight to ask (and had my computer and printer ready to go) before we left! :lol: (Men...)

Anyways, I didn't bother with notes or pics, just wanted to enjoy the show. The highlight for me was D&W's OD, although he got his hair completely chopped off noooooo! :wuzrobbed It's such a great program, and you can truly see the details live. Yuka's always fantastic, best knees in the business. Was cute having those repeated pass-offs to Jeremy. I loved Jeremy live (so fast! so smooth! :swoon: ), but his Saint-Saen program was rather flat today and he had a few jump issues in both programs. The Saint-Saen program came off like an LP practice, since he did a 3ax and barely eeked out a 3-jump combo. Not sure if the audience appreciated that effort. Was completely :eek: seeing him in the quasi-bondage gear and shaking his booty during the pre-intermission number. Laughed my ass off because of it, bless him. Speaking of laughing my ass off, Ben was struttin' all he had during that routine as well. Talk about being too f*cking cute. Ben is so awesome.

And speaking of being too f*cking cute, Todd's first number aka Mr. Shiny Butt. He brought the Toddstipation back for the Elton John though. :lol: Great to see him having so much fun.

The differences between Mirai and Rachael are less apparent live. Mirai I think was also a little off (she did her SP), but her smile is infectious and she is adorable. I think with a few more years under her belt, could be a real showstopper. She still comes off very young especially compared to Alissa's thoughtfulness. It was great to see Alissa doing something other than pretty pretty, although I wondered how she'd manage with that giant ponytail flying in her face.

My bf really liked Michael Weiss, and was laughing when I called the backflips 3 seconds before he did them. :P He's a real showman, and still does some of the harder jumps too. Gotta give him props.

Evan actually channeled the MJ moves pretty well! Maybe the ballroom is teaching him a few things. Shen/Zhao are rock stars. That is all. I love them.

All in all, a fun night of skating. :)

Lanie
05-21-2010, 09:10 AM
On Saturday I'm going to laugh thinking of Mr. Shiny Butt. Thanks, Anita. ;) If I knew you went to the LA one I should have just gone to that one instead of San Diego! So many memories at Staples! :P

Anita18
05-21-2010, 09:18 AM
On Saturday I'm going to laugh thinking of Mr. Shiny Butt. Thanks, Anita. ;) If I knew you went to the LA one I should have just gone to that one instead of San Diego! So many memories at Staples! :P
Yeah I leaned over to my bf and said, "Not sure why his butt is shiny..." "Yeah that was the first thing I noticed too...oh it's his back pockets which are shiny." "But they're on his butt..." :rofl:

Watching Ben strut (and play the guitar) will also make you laugh! The boy is precious.

LA was a no-brainer for us since SD is sooo faaar awaaay! And my bf already drove the 1.5 hours from Palmdale to get here (relatively) on time! At least being VERY familiar with Staples Center helped us get over to our seats before it actually started. :P

Garden Kitty
05-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Students wowed by skating champ
http://www.dailycamera.com/schoolchoice/ci_15095677#axzz0oEoCqPNf

Olympian skates hope into Niwot Elementary students
http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=21966

Cute articles, thanks.

love skating
05-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Wah! No Meryl tonight - I guess she got sick. Michael Weiss' twitter said they have a sick skater. Wuzrobbed of seeing their great OD and the B&A/D&W quartet! :wuzrobbed

Oreo
05-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Wah! No Meryl tonight - I guess she got sick. Michael Weiss' twitter said they have a sick skater. Wuzrobbed of seeing their great OD and the B&A/D&W quartet! :wuzrobbed

I know. I was bummed, too. :( Nonetheless, it was a great show. I loved Shen & Zhao and Jeremy and Mirai. Everybody was pretty much on tonight. Of course, Sasha fell on a double axel, but made up for it in the Hallelujah number. This was one of the best Stars on Ice I've seen in a long while.

joemauerlover
05-22-2010, 08:43 AM
I went to SOI in St. Paul, but I have a laptop problem, but I have a review all ready to go and some videos I posted on youtube. lots of jump problems, except for Sasha (wow, its usually the other way around!) but she was on and hit everything.

really loved YUka, Michael, and Todd. Also liked the guest Evora and Ladwig and Samuelson and Bates, and Tanith and Ben, loved them all!!!! details coming when my computer comes back, borrowing my roomates right now!!!

love skating
05-22-2010, 05:28 PM
I know. I was bummed, too. :( Nonetheless, it was a great show. I loved Shen & Zhao and Jeremy and Mirai. Everybody was pretty much on tonight. Of course, Sasha fell on a double axel, but made up for it in the Hallelujah number. This was one of the best Stars on Ice I've seen in a long while.

Her Hallelujah number was beautiful. Jeremy was so on. I kept expecting him to take a tumble, but nope! I must say Evan was quite impressive and the fan girls were squealing for him! Mirai was a delight. I enjoyed Rachael, though I did notice her lack of speed compared to everyone. And Michael Weiss is such a great pro skater now. Loved Tanith and Ben. After the show my mom's comment was "I like that Ben." :D

mtnskater
05-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Haven't had time to post my review of the Denver SOI last weekend so here it is.

Went with three girlfriends, two of whom are very knowledgeable about skating and one just a fan. All of us were just blown away at the high level and quality of the skating. The finest group of high level skaters overall ever in SOI....or at least maybe since Paul Wylie and Kristi Y & G&G were fresh off the Olympics. I've gone to SOI every year since 1992, so I've seen alot. This year we had 2nd row seats.

One friend that came with us skated in Disney ice shows in Europe a couple of years ago after college. She was amazed at the techincal difficulty everyone was putting in to their programs. So major kudos to the SOI cast! I was so glad that we have no more Jennifer R. or Steven C.

My favorite number by far was the duet with Sasha and Alyssa. That was so beautiful and the skating quality so fine that I teared up a bit. I could watch that 20 times in a day. I wish I could get it on DVD! One of my friends agreed with me that was the highlight of the night for her too.

I also LOVED the "Rock the Runway" group number before the intermission. Fun, cool, great costumes, great choreography. I'm a lover of the SOI group numbers. So many great ones over the years. Although this year's tour was a little shy on the group numbers, this one was very good.

Jeremy Abbott skated great and his fine, fine skating was a highlight. As were Yuka, Sasha, Alyssa, and Michael. Yuka no longer does triples and only a single axel...but who cares when your performance can mesmerize like that. Sasha was struggling quite a bit with the jumps and I thought, I don't care if I see her jump. I almost wondered if she was breaking in new skates. Her skating, like Yuka is a statement in itself. Michael has also grown so much as an artist and he is so well trained and his technique is gorgeous as well. Rachel Flatt was a guest and enjoyable, though still much work needed in the artistry department. I wish Ryan Bradley could have been a guest since he lives and trains in Colorado.

For couples, we were treated to Belbin & Agosto, Davis & White and Shen & Zhao. All were great and absolutely stunning to watch. My friend and I agreed that Tanith really stood out among them all. She is so warm to the audience and really projects to the rafters in every number. What a great addition to the cast. My other friend said Davis & White were the stand outs for her. She loved their OD. Only bummer...no Evan! But I'm voting for him on DWTS. Oh, one other bummer....no John Zimmerman for me to drool over!

Can't wait to see the SOI 25 year Reunion Show next year. That is one to look forward to.

Audience was still somewhat sparse this year. I'm so hoping this tour continues to survive.

joemauerlover
05-23-2010, 07:19 AM
here's my review: joemauerforme.blogspot.com.

its from St. Paul show. Enjoy.

Kristin

Sylvia
05-23-2010, 10:18 PM
here's my review:

its from St. Paul show. Enjoy.

Kristin
Here's the direct link to Kristen's St. Paul review: http://joemauerforme.blogspot.com/2010/05/stars-on-ice-2010-st-paul-mn.html
Thanks for sharing!

lovesdance posted a review of the LA & Anaheim shows in the Davis/White thread -- direct link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2768046&postcount=482
Also this:

Here is the closing number from the Anaheim show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pblSvaRjxw