PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Stars on Ice tour April/May 2010: articles, fan reports & more!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

literaryfreak
04-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Could somebody tell me how long the show is ( as exact as possible) and what are the last couple of numbers? ( I might have to rush home before it is over, but there are people I simply cannot miss- Abbott and D/W, for example).

I can't remember how long it was, maybe 2 1/2 hours. At any rate, Abbott and D/W's solo numbers are before the intermission.

dinakt
04-24-2010, 06:49 PM
I can't remember how long it was, maybe 2 1/2 hours. At any rate, Abbott and D/W's solo numbers are before the intermission.

Thank you!

tarotx
04-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Sasha's Hallelujah and a group number are reportedly the last numbers of the show.

Wyliefan
04-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks, Sylvia!

skamper23
04-25-2010, 05:32 AM
Just got back from the Albany show! Great crowd, wonderful show! Loved the act one closing group number! Loved both of Todd's numbers, crowd really cheered for him, Mike and Evan! So happy to see Davis & White Indian Folk Dance live, such a great program...I noticed he's wearing a black costume, not the one he wore at the Olympics. Evan rocked his program...had a near fall but saved it! It was great to see him again in the finale. Jeremy did have a fall in his first solo of the night, but recovered quickly. I Enjoyed all the kidding between Jeremy and "older" cast members...seemed to be on going through out the show...I believe he referred to Todd as "Grandpa" at one point....Mike keeps teasing Jeremy about not being old enough to rent a car yet. I thought the yodeling transition was pretty random and out of Sasha, Yuka and Tanith...Tanith got the best dress. Speaking of Tanith, I thought her and Ben's number was cute. I really enjoyed the number with the two dance teams together, but SOI is sooooo missing a pair team this season!!! God I miss the days that Ina & Zimmerman, Sale-Pelletier, and Shen & Zhao were all on the tour!!!!!! I really miss John Zimmerman not being there even as a soloist...he just adds such a spark to the show esp in the group numbers! Getting side tracked...sorry it's late....Sasha's Hallelujah was very well done!! I liked seeing Alyssa letting her hair down a bit so to speak with "I Like The Way You Move" by the Body Rockers....(I believe S/P skated to this last year in the CSOI) all in all it was a wonderful show. Looking forward to next year!

lenac03
04-26-2010, 03:14 AM
Your reviews are really making me look forward to the Cleveland show this Friday.

Wyliefan
04-26-2010, 03:35 AM
Gorgeous picture from the B/A/D/W number in Hershey:

http://twitpic.com/1ij38e

smurfy
04-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Saw the Hartford show - enjoyed it.
Also went to Ottawa (my review in that thread). Just wanted to say - seeing the same group numbers with different skaters was fun and amusing.
Just wish the cast was more international. But loved it.

paskatefan
04-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks, skamper for your review! We saw the show again in Wilkes-barre yesterday afternoon, and really enjoyed it. Miki Ando was our guest skater, and she did her "Cleopatra" program spot on. Sasha was superb in both programs, and I could watch Yuka forever. I have to say that my most favorite program from this season's tour is Tanith & Ben's "If It Kills Me." However, there are SO many programs and skaters that I really like on this tour. I do hope that the three tours (Japan/US/Canada) don't overlap next season! We want our international skaters too - ITA with you, smurfy!

jlai
04-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Stars on Ice less lustrous than usual
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=925194&category=ARTS

Ouch

Wyliefan
04-26-2010, 01:33 PM
"Seasoned regulars were disappointed"? :huh: Since when does the Arts section of the Albany Times Union speak for all regular skating fans? Give it a poor review if that's what you think it deserves, but don't presume to speak for an entire community. That ain't how reviews work.

Garden Kitty
04-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Just got back from the Albany show! . . . Evan rocked his program...had a near fall but saved it!

Wasn't that the day that he was at the emergency room in the afternoon with a concussion from practicing for DWTS?

Debbie S
04-26-2010, 03:03 PM
"Seasoned regulars were disappointed"? :huh: Since when does the Arts section of the Albany Times Union speak for all regular skating fans? Give it a poor review if that's what you think it deserves, but don't presume to speak for an entire community. That ain't how reviews work.My guess is she's been reading this thread, lol. Seriously, if she's been covering figure skating since 1996, I'm sure she's aware of the boards....but they hardly make for reliable journalistic sources, meaning if you're going to refer to a group of people, how about interviewing them in your review. Otherwise, state your opinions as exactly that: your opinions. :rolleyes:

And this:

Special guest 2010 Olympic medalist Evan Lysacek's only skate to "Man in the Mirror" tanked, with his sequined glove the only semblance of a true Michael Jackson portrayal.

His gangly size and robotic arm movements made a mockery of the deceased icon: His rendition paled next to the superbly researched and executed choreography of Viktor Petrenko's 1998 Michael Jackson medley number.First of all, I don't think Evan is a "guest", but whatever. I wonder how this woman defines "tanked", or skating. I have no memory of Viktor's MJ number, but I'm assuming it involved a lot of hip gyrations and posing. Evan skated, and I thought his arm movements (choreographed by a pro dancer) went with the music very well. So he's tall and long-limbed, so what?

I wonder if this woman is either an obsessed MJ fan or Viktor uber. :shuffle:

Or maybe this woman goes for flash over substance. I like Michael Weiss, but I don't consider his back flips to be a highlight of the show.

Wasn't that the day that he was at the emergency room in the afternoon with a concussion from practicing for DWTS?Yes, according to what Evan posted on his Twitter. Yikes. Anyone who thinks skaters are wimps needs to spend a day with Evan.

dinakt
04-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Reviewers are quite frequently unnecessarily vicious, and sometimes random. So, she did not like it, it certainly is the reviewer's right. But generalizing about "regulars", kicking Evan on the day when his appearing at all- with the injury- should be lauded and writing in a generally dismissive style is not classy, not at all.

Jaana
04-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Stars on Ice less lustrous than usual
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=925194&category=ARTS

Ouch

The writer did not mention what was the reaction of the big audience in Albany.... The only thing that became clear was her opinion, :lol:. Evanīs number has been generally received really well by the audiences, as far as I have understood.

I wonder if this woman is either an obsessed MJ fan or Viktor uber. :shuffle:

Or a huge Weir fan?