PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Stars on Ice tour April/May 2010: articles, fan reports & more!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

OlieRow
04-11-2010, 07:07 PM
You made a good point Garden Kitty. The audiences have certainly changed. I watched some of the Olympics and Worlds earlier this morning and was thinking about how back in the day, SOI would have probably hired the current champions/skaters (especially if those skaters had turned pro) so we would still get a B&A and a Sasha but there would also have been slots for skaters such as Lambiel, Buttle and possibly even Navboms. Kim and Brent were made for show skating with their personalities and the chemistry between the two.

With SOI in NJ missing Davis/White last night (which put them down 2 numbers with the D/W/B/A one) all I could think about was they should've had NavBoms come up for it. The thought of Kim + Tanith (+ Ben + Brent) = lots of pretty and lots of star power. Talk about skaters born to perform...

Overall, I thought the show was pretty good although it seemed a little empty at times with D/W's absence. In addition to the missing numbers, you could almost see where they should've been in the group numbers. It was especially odd when Jeremy disappeared (costume or skate malfunction I assumed) for the act 1 finale. I loved B/A's number and the lifts with the backpack (wonder if DomShabs taught them that!), liked Evan's MJ (he has such a strong presence on the ice), and LOVED Jeremy. It was such a treat to get to see him live. Jeremy and Yuka doing one of the intros was pretty awkward though...

The lower bowl looked about 1/2 full so I guess it's not too bad, but I think what was telling is the corners + section just in from that looked to be very full all the way up while the center sections were only full about half way up. Perhaps this shows that people are willing to spend $50 on tickets but not $90?

All in all, it made for a fun night. Well, minus the whole being too busy chatting to realize I'd missed my exit on the turnpike and almost ending up in Camden trying to get turned around part. ;)

Alexei'sgirl
04-11-2010, 08:06 PM
The NJ show was fun, but I have to admit I didn't go in with high expectations. The group numbers weren't your classic SOI, but they were okay. I really enjoyed Tanith and Ben's number and Michael Weiss truly has turned into a great show skater. The last several numbers in the second act (from Tanith and Ben to the end) made it feel more like the Stars on Ice show it was meant to be and less like the Champions on Ice shows of years past (not that there was anything wrong with those shows, just a different format is all).

Overall it was a great night of skating, but I did miss D/W. Was really hoping to see their OD live.

Here's a link to my photos from last night's show.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055119&id=1031863565&l=71b40bd335

paskatefan
04-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Great photos. Thanks for sharing them. We were at the show last night too, and really enjoyed it over all. I think that would have been a great idea to have Nav/Boms skate in this show since this was the one show on the tour that Meryl & Charlie couldn't do because of their commitment to the Ice Chips show in Boston.

Loved all of Yuka and Todd's skating. I agree that "I Want You to Want Me" is not typical of his style, but I like the way he flirted with the audience. Tanith & Ben's program was absolutely charming, and I got a kick out of Ben playing the guitar. The flower duet with Sasha and Alissa was lovely, too. Glad to see that Mirai and Rachel skated well. I read somewhere that Jeremy split his pants! Loved the little interview with Yuka and Jeremy and the reference to train in the summer, LOL!

I'm musically eclectic, so I love classical musical and am fine with a lot of rock and pop music.

More thoughts later ...

Wyliefan
04-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the great pictures! I keep thinking that Alissa looks a little different lately. Did someone get after her with that fake tanning crap, I wonder?

FigureSpins
04-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Some of the ushers were very hepful, but the one standing in front of section 120 that we had the misfortune of dealing with was not one of them. Never having been to the place before, we weren't sure if "floor seating" meant the section below where we were supposed to be or what, so my mom asked the usher if we needed to be upstairs and she was all "what do you mean upstairs, it says 120 on your ticket and this is 120." That's ironic - the pretzel buying girl was trying to get into section 120. I guess it wasn't ALL the ushers, just Agent 120.

angryyew
04-12-2010, 01:24 AM
That's ironic - the pretzel buying girl was trying to get into section 120. I guess it wasn't ALL the ushers, just Agent 120.

lol maybe so. there were a group of teenage girls down in front of us (having a blast) Actually there were a lot of younger people in our section, which was kind of nice to see. There was the little girl behind us, who's dad was way more into figuring skating than any apparently straight guy I know, who started complaining she was bored about half way through and kept commenting about how "I could do that, that's easy" heh But for the most part the young folks around us seemed to be very knowledgable, enthusiastic and respectful.

In spite of the hiccups, I'd go again, if they are back in the area next year.

shan
04-12-2010, 01:31 AM
There was the little girl behind us, who's dad was way more into figuring skating than any apparently straight guy I know, who started complaining she was bored about half way through and kept commenting about how "I could do that, that's easy" heh

:rofl: That's what I always say when I watch skating!!! ;)

FigureSpins
04-12-2010, 01:37 AM
The kids in our group all started singing the songs, lol. It was cute.

When [Alissa] was skating to I Like the Way You Move, I kept envisioning all the corresponding clips from the ISU video that kicks off the ice dance events.One of my students (7 year old) said "Look what I can do!" and proceeded to swing her head and ponytail around and around, just like Alissa did in that routine! It was adorable - now if she can spin like her role model, we'll have a good lesson this week.

There were a lot of groups at the Raleigh show. We were small - less than 20 seats. The Skating Club of North Carolina had over 100 people going.

OlieRow
04-12-2010, 02:39 AM
My favorite comment overheard from a little girl around us was "Why do they take pictures with flashes? Don't they know it's DANGEROUS?!"

paskatefan
04-12-2010, 10:54 AM
My favorite comment overheard from a little girl around us was "Why do they take pictures with flashes? Don't they know it's DANGEROUS?!"

Smart kid! :encore:

Hey, as an adult, I sing along with the songs I know most of the time as the skaters skate! :lol:

geod2
04-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the great pictures! I keep thinking that Alissa looks a little different lately. Did someone get after her with that fake tanning crap, I wonder?

Dunno, but check out that first photo of Alissa (#2 of 72).
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055119&id=1031863565&l=71b40bd335

She looks like she's been spending some serious time on the weight machines....good lord the girl looks buff and muscular.
Could be the lighting just bringing out all the skater's definition and conditioning.
Whatever.
They all looked great in that wonderful set of photos.

In fact, all of these great photos and the large number of positive comments on this thread convinced me to go to the Salt Lake City show, which will probably be poorly attended (economy, ticket prices).
But I snagged a couple of first row center tix.
My first SOI or COI..... Looking forward, camera in hand.
;)

Ajax
04-12-2010, 04:29 PM
I was at the Boston show yesterday... Overall it was a good time and considering that I got the tickets at 50% off thanks to my AAA membership, totally worth the money :) Here are some jumbled impressions:

-I think the lack of a theme hurt the show. It felt very disjointed and even a bit lackluster in spots.

-Somebody waaay upthread said that a lot of the skaters did not have the charisma and warmth needed for show skating. This is spot on. A lot of the eligible skaters such as D&W, Abbott, Mirai, while enjoyable, did not draw me in to their performances that much. Michael Weiss, meanwhile, is the absolute champ of this. He projects to the rafters and keeps your attention throughout the whole routine. I guess that's his pro experience showing. I loved his backflips and heel glides.

-Yuka Sato was the absolute highlight of the show for me. She skated to Claire de Lune which is one of my favorite pieces of music and was ethereal and beautiful. This is what iceskating is supposed to be. Her first number was very fun and engaging.

-Sasha Cohen's posture is DIVINE. You'd think she was a duchess or a queen out there :) However she also does not project very well to the audience and comes across as a little cold. Totally disappeared in the group numbers.

-Alissa did not appeal to me at all. She looked very awkward in both the group numbers and her solo to I Like the Way You Move. Girlfriend canNOT get down :D

-D&W's OD was awesome to see live. I know many people bash Zueva but I think she deserves a place in the choreographers' hall of fame just for that program. Charlie White is GORGEOUS, I was watching pretty much only him (and his tush :D) during the group numbers. May he wear tight white pants forever.

-Ben's guitar solo needs to go. And TWICE? Waste of time. Their solo was very cute. I wish they had one more solo instead of the bland group number with D&W which is just a motley collection of lifts.

-Abbott's skating :swoon: He is one of my favorite eligible male skaters. I love how fluidly he goes from movement to movement. I think he shines in fast-paced, modern numbers though. His short program to Santana a couple of years ago and also his exhibition to George Michael really highlighted his musicality, I wish he'd brought back one of those programs instead of skating his current long program.

-Our guest stars were Rachael, Mirai and... Emily Hughes. Surprisingly, I enjoyed Emily the most! She was wearing an absolutely horrid outfit of black training pants half-pulled over her skates, a plain long-sleeved purple top and a black belt, but her program had great choreography and she was totally into it. Very entertaining. I didn't enjoy Mirai too much because most of her program was aimed at the opposite side of the rink from where I was sitting and Rachael was meh. Although I have to say her posture doesn't look as bad live as it does on TV.

-Evan obviously wasn't there due to DWTS... However I think the show does a huge disservice to his fans because he is featured prominently on all the posters around town and the program but no explanation is given for his absence. Being the Olympic champion, arguably he is the biggest draw. There were a couple of old ladies behind me who kept saying before the show started how much they'd enjoyed him in Vancouver and how much they were looking forward to seeing him live... and then no Evan. They sounded so disappointed at the end. They didn't know that he was on Dancing with the Stars. I think it would be nice if the show broadcasted at some point a taped message or something just saying that he cannot attend due to DWTS, he apologises but enjoy the show or whatever. Yes they have a disclaimer on the program and website saying skaters are subject to change by city but still, I felt very bad for those ladies becuase it was obvious they'd come mostly to see him, and since not all fans trawl the Internet or watch tv regularly so they might not know that he has other commitments as well.

Frau Muller
04-12-2010, 04:35 PM
-Somebody waaay upthread said that a lot of the skaters did not have the charisma and warmth needed for show skating. This is spot on. .....
-Yuka Sato was the absolute highlight of the show for me. .....
-Sasha Cohen's posture is DIVINE. You'd think she was a duchess or a queen out there :) However she also does not project very well to the audience and comes across as a little cold. Totally disappeared in the group numbers.
........ well.

I was the one who first mentioned the lack of charisma in so many of the show's shakers. So thanks for the compliment...and you, Ajax, are "spot on" in the rest, too. :)

Ajax
04-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I was the one who first mentioned the lack of charisma in so many of the show's shakers. So thanks for the compliment...and you, Ajax, are "spot on" in the rest, too. :)

One thing I forgot to post about Charlie White: We all know he has a great personality and it would have been very cool to see that showcased in the show. Plus D&W and B&A are friends so it would be nice to have them interact verbally in the show, like Yuka & Jeremy did or like Eldredge, Weiss & Jeremy did. Instead of Ben's two guitar solos we could have had a spot with Ben and Charlie just joking around, i bet more people would have paid to see that :)

angryyew
04-12-2010, 05:20 PM
One thing I forgot to post about Charlie White: We all know he has a great personality and it would have been very cool to see that showcased in the show. Plus D&W and B&A are friends so it would be nice to have them interact verbally in the show, like Yuka & Jeremy did or like Eldredge, Weiss & Jeremy did. Instead of Ben's two guitar solos we could have had a spot with Ben and Charlie just joking around, i bet more people would have paid to see that :)

I kinda liked the guitar bit, but that's probably because I'm a guitar player myself. The overall audience reaction seemed to be pollite applause.

I would agree that the "pros" are better at connecting with the audience than the eligibles, but I think that just makes sense given that they've been show skating a long time now and the eligibles have not. I don't really have a complaint though, because it was nice to get to see the eligibles skate in person and it was also nice to see the more showy show numbers.

I think most of the eligibles will get better at doing show skating with time. One of the girls definitely did have some trouble getting the dance moves down during a couple of the group numbers, but I couldn't quite decide if it was Alissa or one of the others because they all had these hair extension things in. I just remember thinking "that girl has no rhythm" lol