PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Stars on Ice tour April/May 2010: articles, fan reports & more!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

BelleBway
04-10-2010, 03:52 PM
I wasn't there, so I have no reports. But if you click on the "info" button on the SOI get tickets site for a particular show (http://www.starsonice.com/figure-skating/?content=tickets), you can see who is scheduled to be at that show. Raleigh was supposed to include:

Except that apparently this list is not always correct, as it lists D/W for tonight's show, but Charlie tweeted something about being in Ice Chips in Boston instead. :mad: (<- annoyed at SOI for listing them, not so much at D/W for having other commitments)

skipaway
04-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Tanith and Ben
Meryl and Charlie
Evan
Todd
Sasha
Michael W
Yuka Sato
Allisa Czisny
Jeremy Abbott
Mirai Nagasu
Rachael Flatt

I did enjoy the show but I thought it was the sloppiest I've seen ever. It's early in their season and the group that just finished their competative season may be tired, but there were more falls and poorly landed jumps than I can remember.

Sasha fell and her landings are poor, but her overall presentation is just beautiful. I enjoyed all of her appearances.

I loved Evan's Man in the Mirror. It gives me hope that he won't look foolish in his future DWTS dances. He also popped a ju,mp and then fell hard after the pop. I would have liked to have seen him in at least one more number either with the cast or solo.

Tanith and Ben stole the night for me. I loved their program that has them going from children to adults. Ben is a rockstar (but leave the electric guitar behind next time) He plays to the crowd, looks like he really enjoys himself and is a sublime skater.
Tanith was really working her blond extentions in the group number. She also has a great crowd appeal and really is a wonderful addition.

Meryl and Charlie did their OD. Nice to see in person. When there was a group skate, I usually kept my eyes on Ben and Tanith and Meryl and Charlie. Their skating skills are so great to see.

Todd, Yuka and Michael were also good crowd pleasers. Yuka looks like she has such a sense of humor and may be the "mother figure" for them all. She was funny with Jeremy reminding him she'd be watching him as she was his coach.

Jeremy was gorgeous on ice. His solo numbers were very difficult and chocked full of difficulty. He's a good addition.

Rachael still is so much better in person than when you see her on TV. The people around me said the same thing. I think they were surprised by that, though I saw her in LA and felt the same thing.

Mirai did her SP and fell on her first jump. I think the ice size was a problem. She looked bored to be out there.

I miss the themed shows of SOI. They have a survey that they handed out. You can win a visit in your hometown by Evan if they pick your entry. I wrote that the con's of the show were: lack of theme, lack of pairs (I think they should always have at least one pairs show up for each city), the commercials for Smuckers during intermission need to be gone too.

I'll still attend SOI when they come to NC but our turnout, to me, was poor and I have a feeling they'll drop Raleigh from their next tours. Hope not, but we'll see.

jlai
04-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the review! I look forward to seeing the show in my town.

I personally don't care for the pairs or the theme--as long as the skating is good I'm cool. I suspect there's no way around the sponsor promoting thing.

I worry that turnout will be poor in my city too, and they may drop my city next year. :(

An unrelated question: Is anyone in Mirai's family travelling with her? Or is she travelling alone? (Same question for Flatt for that matter.)

museksk8r
04-10-2010, 04:07 PM
entire post

Thanks for the review! If I had been able to attend a SOI show, this one would have been it as I'm located in the neighborhood, but I honestly have to say that I couldn't sit through the majority of this cast just to see the handful of skaters I'd pay to see, like Jeremy, Yuka, Meryl & Charlie. I'd never pay to see any of the other skaters listed here. It's really too bad I can't choose my own cast. :(

mmscfdcsu
04-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the review! If I had been able to attend a SOI show, this one would have been it as I'm located in the neighborhood, but I honestly have to say that I couldn't sit through the majority of this cast just to see the handful of skaters I'd pay to see, like Jeremy, Yuka, Meryl & Charlie. I'd never pay to see any of the other skaters listed here. It's really too bad I can't choose my own cast. :(

I don't care much about the cast. I would just love to see a show with well choreographed numbers to music that doesn't make you want to vomit. :( I'm not going to see a name, I want to see skating. I would not even go to see Johnny skating to the pop crud that he enjoys. :(

museksk8r
04-10-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't care much about the cast. I would just love to see a show with well choreographed numbers to music that doesn't make you want to vomit. :( I'm not going to see a name, I want to see skating. I would not even go to see Johnny skating to the pop crud that he enjoys. :(

I dislike how American-centric Stars On Ice is, but that's Scott Hamilton for ya. :rolleyes: I need a more international flavor for me to give my hard earned $$ up. If all I wanted to see were US skaters, I'd just pay to go to US Nationals. Plus, as far as choreographed shows go, I've found SOI pretty underwhelming on the NBC tv broadcasts. If only I could choose the music and choose the choreographers for the shows too. :(

paskatefan
04-10-2010, 04:23 PM
I dislike how American-centric Stars On Ice is :rolleyes: I need a more international flavor for me to give my hard earned $$ up. :(

Normally there is more of an international mix, but the Japanese & Canadian tours are overlapping this time. I realize that the Japanese tour is short, but the Canadian one is right smack in the middle of it all. :(

Thanks for the review from Raleigh, NC., skipaway :D

FSfan107
04-10-2010, 04:27 PM
I attended last night's show in Raleigh. I really enjoyed the show overall. The last time I attended SOI was 4 years ago in 2006 in Wilkes-Barre, PA. There was a lot less emphasis on a core cast with group numbers and there really wasn't an overall theme to the show. In 2006, I enjoyed the fact that there was more of a core cast participating in group numbers throughout the show. I hope SOI goes back to this like other posters have mentioned. I still loved the show though!

Mirai Nagasu opened the evening with her POTC short program. She unfortunately fell on her opening triple lutz. She shook it off though and was fine on the rest of her jumps. Her spins are just amazing and stunning to see in person.

Jeremy Abbott was terrific in both of his numbers. The jumps were all solid tonight. Great edges and very smooth. He did a 3-3-2 right in front of me(I had on-ice seats)

Alissa Czisny was one of the highlights for me. Both of her solos, "You'll Never Walk Alone" and "I like the Way", were wonderful. She showed great connection to the music and the audience, IMO. Her spins are just awesome to see in person. She landed all her jumps, including two triple flips.

I really enjoyed Todd Eldredge the last time I saw him on SOI in 2006, and I enjoyed him last night. However, I didn't enjoy his "I Want You to Want Me" number. This music just doesn't suit Todd's skating, IMO. I thought it was a bit cheesy and the choreography was lacking. His second solo, "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me", more than made up for the first number though! This is his kind of music. Fantastic spins as always!

Loved Sasha and Alissa's "Flower Duet"! Stunning dresses too.

Meryl and Charlie performed their "Indian Folk Dance" program. I'm a huge "Marlie" fan, so this was the performance I was looking forward to the most. :) They didn't disappoint and it was fantastic to see them perform this program in person. They almost had a bit of a disaster on their difficult twizzle section towards the end of the program. Meryl looked like she caught an edge or something and slowed down on her rotation of the twizzles. She got out of sync with Charlie and started moving in a crooked direction towards Charlie. Thankfully, Charlie noticed and bailed out of his twizzle before Meryl collided with him.

Tanith and Ben were fun and entertaining. I thought Ben playing his guitar was a bit corny though.:shuffle: :lol: I enjoyed the quartet number with Tanith, Ben, Meryl, and Charlie. My favorite part was when Charlie and Ben held Meryl and Tanith in the arabesque spiral positions.

Michael Weiss was just so fun to watch with his backflips! Great performer.

Evan was the last solo before the intermission with his "Man in the Mirror" number. A very entertaining and fun number! I enjoyed seeing Evan put some personality into an exhibition number. He can really dance and move those hips. ;) He landed two triples solidly before uncharacteristically popping a jump and falling. The audience didn't mind though. Some gave him a standing ovation!

Rachael Flatt opened up the second half of the show. I was shocked when Michael Weiss announced her name because I wasn't expecting her to be at the Raleigh show. The song title of her music escapes me at the moment. It was a great choice of music for her and I thought she was fabulous. She nailed her two triples, the flip and the salchow. She was wearing a bluish/turquoise dress which really looked nice on her.

Sasha had jump issues all night. In her first number to "Espana Cani", she two-footed her triple jump right in front of me and then fell on her double axel. She is still very enjoyable to watch. This is the first time I have seen her in person, so seeing the flexibility she has up close amazed me. The stretch she gets on her flying camel spin is stunning. Her "Hallelujah" number is the best solo of the show, IMO. This is a gorgeous program. Does anyone know who choreographed it? She doubled her salchow and hung on to her double axel in this number.

One of my other favorites of the evening was Yuka Sato! I saw her four years ago too, and she is such a great skater. Those edges.:swoon: Her "Clair de Lune" was so elegant and beautiful. This was one of my favorite solo numbers.

Most of the cast started the ending number and then Sasha, Evan, Mirai, and Rachael came out and joined them. Everyone in the audience gave the cast a standing ovation!

Well, that's about it. The audience seemed a bit sparse so I'm wondering if they will come back to Raleigh next year.

Great show! I had a great time, and it was worth the trip!

Garden Kitty
04-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Except that apparently this list is not always correct, as it lists D/W for tonight's show, but Charlie tweeted something about being in Ice Chips in Boston instead. :mad: (<- annoyed at SOI for listing them, not so much at D/W for having other commitments)

That's annoying. The original list didn't include them for the NJ show, but it was updated later to add them so I thought whatever was the conflict was fixed.

BelleBway
04-10-2010, 04:37 PM
That's annoying. The original list didn't include them for the NJ show, but it was updated later to add them so I thought whatever was the conflict was fixed.

Ditto. Better to at least know about it before the show, I suppose.

Lanie
04-10-2010, 05:34 PM
I recall reading that D/W will be in the show for Boston, they will also be doing Ice Chips. When they skate in both shows have been shuffled around or something.

I'm really excited for the San Diego date! I think that's the one we will be going to since it's the day before our first wedding anniversary. I'm so glad my husband loves skating. :shuffle: My parents are going with us, too, and they haven't been to SOI since the early '90s. They love Evan, Sasha, B/A, etc, so I think they'll like it. I still am mad they never took me to SOI when I was a kid. :lol:

Kind of interesting everyone's been having jump issues. Honestly I could care less if people jump in exhibitions. I don't know why Sasha does 'em if she has so many issues. (Still injured perhaps?)

love skating
04-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Thank you to everyone who gave reviews and pictures! Keep them coming!

Regarding Evan only doing one number and not the group numbers - I wonder if it's more due to his DWTS participation or due to his injury. I'm guessing both. Since he can't be at every show because of DWTS maybe they took him out of group numbers since it would be hard to replace his spot when he was absent. And maybe if he wasn't injured he would have had a second number? Just guessing. I wonder about B&A lacking a second number too since Ben's been injured. I wish D&W got a second number though - they could do Billie Jean as a second number.

Anyway the eight acts who are scheduled for every city are: D&W (if they do that Boston show), B&A, Sasha, Yuka, Alissa, Todd, Michael, and Jeremy. So I see them as the core cast, with the others all being guest stars.

angryyew
04-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Thank you to everyone who gave reviews and pictures! Keep them coming!

Regarding Evan only doing one number and not the group numbers - I wonder if it's more due to his DWTS participation or due to his injury. I'm guessing both. Since he can't be at every show because of DWTS maybe they took him out of group numbers since it would be hard to replace his spot when he was absent. And maybe if he wasn't injured he would have had a second number? Just guessing. I wonder about B&A lacking a second number too since Ben's been injured. I wish D&W got a second number though - they could do Billie Jean as a second number.

Anyway the eight acts who are scheduled for every city are: D&W (if they do that Boston show), B&A, Sasha, Yuka, Alissa, Todd, Michael, and Jeremy. So I see them as the core cast, with the others all being guest stars.

I think who did the group numbers had to have more to do with who had the time to get together and practice them than anything. Rachel and Mirai also did not particpate much in group numbers.

The raleigh attendance was actually higher than I was expecting based on reports that I'd seen here that overall soi attedance has been down in recent years. I just don't think they're gonna get many casual fans to attend with ticket prices being what they are, particularly once you add in parking, fees etc. They didn't really heavily adverstise the Raleigh show either.

The fans that were there, were very enthusiastic though. As for the themes and group numbers. I'm kinda glad they didn't do that this year. I've always found the themes and most group numbers to be boring and cheesy on the T.V. broadcasts and actually enjoyed the format this year much more. Different Strokes I reckon.

jlai
04-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I've always found SOI to look cheesy on TV and I'm glad they're doing some good individual numbers.

kwanette
04-10-2010, 07:28 PM
I dislike how American-centric Stars On Ice is, but that's Scott Hamilton for ya. :rolleyes: I need a more international flavor for me to give my hard earned $$ up. If all I wanted to see were US skaters, I'd just pay to go to US Nationals. Plus, as far as choreographed shows go, I've found SOI pretty underwhelming on the NBC tv broadcasts. If only I could choose the music and choose the choreographers for the shows too. :(

Is Scott still involved in SOI? I thought not. And over the years when he was involved, there were plenty of non-American skaters on the tour.