PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Stars on Ice tour April/May 2010: articles, fan reports & more!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Carmen Ovsiannikov
04-10-2010, 01:05 AM
......I know I'm in the minority but I liked the use of current pop songs. Being a young person myself, I can relate to it- and it seems genuine because (most of the) skaters are young as well. I got the feeling many of the older folks weren't really digging it (lol) but I liked it. I thought it was a nice departure from "the usual".

Your post made me want to address the old/young issue again especially since the subject came up as well during the FD at Worlds. Andrea Joyce and B&A (also Tracy Wilson during the GP season) commented that a team like the Kerr's were so well responded to by the crowds because they don't think as much of the older judges when they chose their FD material but rather the younger crowd. I guess I'm officially old but I do listen to all types of music including pop, rock and R&B (I love Lady Gaga :P) but that's not all I listen to. Like most people (I believe) I love many different types of music. And the Kerr's have been one of my favorite dance teams since I first saw them back in 2004.

It's not that I don't want to see any programs to pop/rock music. Even back in the glory days of skating before and right after the Lillehammer Olympics we saw the singles, pair and dance teams use that type of music. I guess people back then could relate to it as well. But we also saw some great voids and beautiful classical pieces. I'd like to see more of a mix. That's the thing I find disappointing. And those programs were performed by both younger and older skaters. Of course maybe the difference is that there was a larger mixture of skaters including those from Europe and Russia.

Also I think there are many people (both young and older) who would fall in love with a program well skated and choreographed no matter what the music is (again I go back to the Fallen Angels piece). Or maybe not.

I have to realize that perhaps I'm odd as even when I was considered one of the younger set, I loved some of the wonderful interpretive pieces done in the pro competitions and exhibitions. And once you reach 40 you don't all of a sudden start listening to big band music on an old fashioned record player.

I think if I hadn't become such a huge fan of skating until more recently, I probably wouldn't miss old school SOI and that type of skating as much as I do.

TalentedButHumble
04-10-2010, 03:16 AM
Thanks for all the info re: the skaters and tours!! what did everyone think of Joannie's performances? I'd love to hear some more thoughts about it! :)

Will anyone be watching the tour in Japan?

There's a thread re: Japan's SOI. And JoRo's appearing there. (Not scheduled for any other US stops.)

Kathryn2001
04-10-2010, 03:42 AM
I was there last night and you all have posted plenty of comments so I won't be redundant, but I was surprised and disappointed about Evan's appearance there. I'm very curious as to what SOI thinks of how his Dancing With the Stars work has possibly impacted his SOI participation and I wonder which contract was signed first.
I have seen Evan plenty of times at Nationals and Skate Americas, but most of the audience hadn't seen him live. For the general audience, he was the Olympic gold medalist and certainly most general fans were expecting him to be the real "star".
I've been to plenty of SOIs and was amazed he wasn't in the opening group number and wasn't even introduced; IMO that's almost unheard of. I wondered if he had practiced too long with Anna and was late arriving or was even going to be there. His solo was about the 3rd or 4th number; he got a big round of applause, he did a pretty good job but popped or messed up one of his few jumps. Then he didn't appear for the remainder of the show. What the heck? Then he didn't skate in the finale and only skated out at the end of the finale to take his bows. I wondered if that's how it will be for all his appearances or if DC was different. For the general audience who paid $ to see the Olympic gold medalist they saw on TV, I felt they got short changed.

angryyew
04-10-2010, 04:18 AM
Re: Evan, it was the same for the Raleigh show. Mirai and Flatt didn't appear that much either. It seemed like there was kind of a core group that appeared most often in the group numbers and then everyone mostly just did one number.

I was actually surprised to see Evan at all with the Dancing with the Stars thing.

He had an awkward fall at tonight's show that he was kinda slow to get up from, so I hope he didn't hurt himself.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show. Evan surprised me with his fun number. I'm used to seeing him do kinda boring, serious exhibitions.

Sasha's piece to hallelujah was probably my favorite, even tho I'm not much of a Sasha fan. Thanks to these boards, when she had a fall in a previous number I instantly thought "sashasplat!"

Speaking of, while I love Alissa Cziny and I'm not a Sasha hater, there was some small, mean part of me that during the lovely duet that they did deseprately wanted to see them sashasplat at the same time. I don't really know why.

Was really impressed with Jeremy Abbott....he has such beautiful, flowy lines.

I've seen Todd, Michael and Yuka before, but as always they were great and Michael was a particular crowd favorite.

Loved seeing the Davis and White OD and actually (I think) ened up sitting next to Charlie at lunch today at the Cheescake factory.

Tanith and Ben were a lot of fun and also fan favorties at our show.

Alissa's routines kinda fell flat with the auidence, though I enjoyed them a lot and it was nice to see a new side of her in the second number. Ironically, with there being several falls on the night, she was one of the ones that didn't heh.

Joannie and the pairs team weren't at the raleigh show.

My only real complaint about the show (other than the ten dollar parking and the $4 diet pepsi) is the lack of Johnny Weir.

It was a fun night and I hope to be able to see it again next year.

jlai
04-10-2010, 04:37 AM
Thanks, angryyew. Did Mirai and Jeremy fall in the competitive number again? I assume the programs are more or less the same and in the same order as previous shows, or am I mistaken?

RockTheTassel
04-10-2010, 04:45 AM
Thank you to everyone who has posted thoughts about the show so far. I'm not able to attend this year, but am paying close attention to this thread to see if going next year may or may not be worth it. I'd love to see my favorite skaters, but SOI always looked a little cheesy. After reading everyone's posts it seems like there are some really good programs and some that are less than stellar, but the tour has just begun. For those of you attending, keep letting me know what you think. :)

TalentedButHumble
04-10-2010, 04:51 AM
I wonder if delayed jet lag/ end-of-year fatigue is hitting some of these eligibles who've been so busy. Evan and Jeremy, among others, have mentioned fatigue in recent tweets. [And this makes me wonder how tired the Canadian SOIers who've gone to Japan will be by the time they hit North America again. :shuffle:]

angryyew
04-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Thanks, angryyew. Did Mirai and Jeremy fall in the competitive number again? I assume the programs are more or less the same and in the same order as previous shows, or am I mistaken?

Mirai fell in her short program or at least some version of her short, music was the same anyway. However her spins were to die for and the rest of the program was fun.

I don't think Jeremy did. Sasha and Evan both had a fall each....Sasha's was weird tho, I think she just caught an edge or something.

angryyew
04-10-2010, 05:39 AM
Thank you to everyone who has posted thoughts about the show so far. I'm not able to attend this year, but am paying close attention to this thread to see if going next year may or may not be worth it. I'd love to see my favorite skaters, but SOI always looked a little cheesy. After reading everyone's posts it seems like there are some really good programs and some that are less than stellar, but the tour has just begun. For those of you attending, keep letting me know what you think. :)

I always thought SOI looked super cheesy on T.V. and really only bought tickets this year because my mom was gonna be in town and Ithought it was something fun we could do together. I was pleasantly surprised. The cheese factor was actually pretty low and most of the programs were very enjoyable.

RockTheTassel
04-10-2010, 05:47 AM
I always thought SOI looked super cheesy on T.V. and really only bought tickets this year because my mom was gonna be in town and Ithought it was something fun we could do together. I was pleasantly surprised. The cheese factor was actually pretty low and most of the programs were very enjoyable.

That's good to know. Some of the Youtube clips I've seen haven't impressed me, but it seems like most people who attend end up enjoying it, even the ones who were skeptical.

paskatefan
04-10-2010, 12:31 PM
First of all, RD, thanks for the great pictures from the DC show.

Thanks, everyone for your continuing impressions of the show. Different strokes for different folks.

We've attended SOI every year since 1993, and I guess in this Olympic year, the "guest" skaters who are only doing some of the shows are skating one solo program. I do believe that every cast member should get to do two solo programs if possible. Maybe another reason they only got to do one solo number is because they have been so busy competing all season that there wasn't enough time for them to prepare a second exhibition program in time for the tour. Re: the group numbers, I can understand why the guest skaters are not in them. Many of them are the eligible who have competed all season, and had very few days to rehearse following the end of Worlds. Like I said before, I don't mind a mix of the eligibles and the ineligible "veterans" of the tour, but I don't want to see the "veterans" of the tour given short shrift in the marketing of this tour (if you've seen the posters/mini flyers for this year there are no pictures or mention of Todd, Mike, & Yuka, which I think is a slap in the face to them). I am looking forward to seeing Evan, but I wonder whether he signed full time for SOI first, or for DWTS (I wish him well in DWTS, but I really was hoping he'd wait a season to participate in it). I don't go to the show just to see one skater (of course we all have our favorites). I want to see everyone. Our show is tonight, and I can't wait to see it, but I do hope that SOI returns to its previous format of a core cast that has more time to rehearse group numbers, plus guest skaters. Please, no more overlap of the three tours (we want to see the international skaters too - Japanese, Canadian, Russian (Ilia, please, the return of Katia, if she would be so inclined), Chinese pairs (I know that some cities will get Pang & Tong, and others will get Shen & Zhao), Yu Na, etc.

BTW, acording to the SOI website, Miki Ando is supposed to do some shows, but her dates are still not listed. Perhaps her dates will be much later in the tour (West coast in May?).

Kathryn2001
04-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Well, I was under the definite impression from all the SOI ads themselves that Evan was a core member of the cast and would have at least 2 solos; I think general audiences expected that. And perhaps he was until DWTS came along and I can see how it wouldn't be possible for group numbers seeing as how there are many nights he can't be with SOI when he taping in LA. Just thought SOI would make a bigger deal over him when he IS there and also thought it would be possible for him to do at least 2 solos, even if one of them is a repeat of previous exhibition programs. I think the audience hoped for that and I felt they needed him since the show seems to be such a small core group this year.

paskatefan
04-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Well, I was under the definite impression from all the SOI ads themselves that Evan was a core member of the cast and would have at least 2 solos; I think general audiences expected that. And perhaps he was until DWTS came along and I can see how it wouldn't be possible for group numbers seeing as how there are many nights he can't be with SOI when he taping in LA. Just thought SOI would make a bigger deal over him when he IS there and also thought it would be possible for him to do at least 2 solos, even if one of them is a repeat of previous exhibition programs. I think the audience hoped for that and I felt they needed him since the show seems to be such a small core group this year.

I understand what you're saying, and I think the ads are misleading, especially for the casual fan who comes just to see one skater. Now, Sasha, Tanith & Ben are pictured on the posters/mini flyers, but they are full time cast members, so I don't have a problem with that. If the posters were made later they would have/should have also included Jeremy, Yuka (I know she was undecided about doing the whole tour this season probably because of her coaching of Jeremy), Meryl & Charlie, Alissa., etc. Again, I just don't want to see the veteran cast/core/full time members get short shrift here, and that's the impression I got from the way this year's tour was marketed ("The Stars of Vancouver will shine in your hometown"). Yes, I definitely look forward to seeing the stars of Vancouver, but also the veterans of the tour, who should NOT be overlooked.

freezin'rinkmom
04-10-2010, 03:11 PM
What skaters were in the show last night in Raleigh? Any reports?

Garden Kitty
04-10-2010, 03:46 PM
What skaters were in the show last night in Raleigh? Any reports?

I wasn't there, so I have no reports. But if you click on the "info" button on the SOI get tickets site for a particular show (http://www.starsonice.com/figure-skating/?content=tickets), you can see who is scheduled to be at that show. Raleigh was supposed to include:

Evan Lysacek
Davis & White
Sasha Cohen
Belbin & Agosto
Todd Eldredge
Yuka Sato
Michael Weiss
Jeremy Abbott
Mirai Nagasu
Rachael Flatt
Alissa Czisny