PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Horror Movies

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Allen
03-31-2010, 08:11 PM
My recent favorite is The House of the Devil, which I just loved.

Other favorites:
Let the Right One In
Suspiria
The Strangers
Black Sunday
Dawn of the Dead (the original)
Audition
Halloween (original)
Black Christmas (original)
Severance

MikiAndoFan#1
03-31-2010, 08:25 PM
I appreciate all of the recommendations!

:D

My recent favorite is The House of the Devil, which I just loved.

I just saw the trailer and it seems awsome!

Other favorites:
Audition

I suppose it's the Japanese movie. I was searching for Japanese horror movies and I came across this one. I started watching it, but then I found another Japanese movie - Cursed. I looked everywhere for it, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know where I can find it?

KCC
03-31-2010, 08:28 PM
My two favorites are The Shining and The Exorcist.

JJH
03-31-2010, 08:39 PM
This is a really broad genre. It's difficult to compare slasher movies with the British Hammer Studio films of the 60s. What about Alfred Hitchcock? The Wolfman, Dracula, Frankenstein, etc movies of the 30s? Where do occult and horror/science fiction movies belong? How about the silents?

I think my very favorites are the horror films that rely on suspense, suggestion, atmosphere, the feeling that something is not...quite...right.
The Cabinet of Dr Caligari-1920 silent
The Birds-1963
Invasion of the Body Snatchers-(Original) 1956
The Shining-1980

Karina1974
03-31-2010, 08:55 PM
One of my favorite things to do when I'm bored is to look up old horror film trailers on YouTube. I've seen (amongst others) the trailers for the original The Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes. Yikes.

gingercrush
03-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Weee I like I like.

My list will be well not strictly horror.

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte
Psycho
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
Childs Play and its sequels
Pet Semetary
Gremlins
Carrie
Friday the 13th and sequels
Halloween & sequels
A Nightmare on Elm Street + Dream Warriors
The Birds
Scream & sequels
Jaws
The Shining
Village of the Damned
Salo
Piranha
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Fright Night

Cyn
03-31-2010, 10:45 PM
For pure "OMFG", The Exorcist can not be beat.

thirty-some-odd years later and it still creeps me out :lol: .

I'm sure it looks cheesy now, but Burnt Offerings made a big impression on me when I was a teen. Same with Carrie.

Like Cyn, I like scary, not grotesque.

:duh: How could I forget Carrie (the original with Sissy Spacek and John Travolta + a cast of up and comers, not the cheese-tastic TV remake dreck). I saw that when I was 10 and hid behind my hands when Piper Laurie completely lost it at the end. The book, however, blows the movie away.

As for scary vs. grotesque, I have come to appreciate the implied rather than having it in your face - sometimes the imagination can be wayyyy worse than what's on the screen (then again, that's not always a good thing :lol: )

The Wicker Man (original)

Another fantastic horror flick - though I saw it years after its original release.

My sister was in one of the Friday the 13th movies, and after learning a good bit about how they're made, that series of movies (along with Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street lost a lot of their appeal for me :shuffle:

I'd also add Jaws to the list, even though some don't consider it to be a horror movie. After seeing that one at the age of nine, I was afraid to take a bath that night as I was convinced a great white was going to come out of the spigot :rofl: :slinkaway .

Graceful05
03-31-2010, 10:51 PM
I absolutely love the Halloween franchise (minus the 3rd because it's just strange), Tales from the Dark Side, Lost Boys, the Scream Trilogy, and It.

I am a horror movie nut!!

bobalina77
03-31-2010, 10:58 PM
I forgot about Trick 'R Treat! Great movie with a bunch of little side stories. Loved it!

BigB08822
03-31-2010, 11:10 PM
My sister was in one of the Friday the 13th movies, and after learning a good bit about how they're made, that series of movies (along with Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street lost a lot of their appeal for me :shuffle:

Do share, PLEASE!

rjblue
03-31-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm not a horror fan in the sense of the Halloween-type movies, but I loved Dawn of the Dead/Shaun of the Dead -watched back to back.

And the scariest movie ever still has to be Alien, even though it is more science fiction than horror.

And if you are looking for an offbeat, low budget gem - Cube (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/) was a really good movie.

icecat
03-31-2010, 11:51 PM
My favorite genre... I'll leave some of the obvious classics like The Exorsist, The Shining, etc off of the list and concentrate on some of my faves that people haven't mentioned:

Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness...ok so I like Bruce Campbell
Night of the Living Dead
Zombieland
the original Dracula
Dracula ( Frank Langella version)
the original The Haunting
The Uninvited
Freaks
The Innocents
13 Ghosts
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
The Raven
House on Haunted Hill (original)
Trilogy of Terror
Salem's Lot
The Changeling
Basket Case
Creepshow
Something Wicked This Way Comes
The Believers
House
Pumpkinhead
Hellraiser
Flatliners
Lord of Illusions
In the Mouth of Madness
The Relic
The Ninth Gate
The Ophanage

Integrity
04-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Not sure if these are "horror" movies or just scary movies, but a few that I don't see on the list:

The Omen (original)
6th Sense

MikiAndoFan#1
04-01-2010, 12:33 AM
The Uninvited

I loved that movie!

:swoon:

escaflowne9282
04-01-2010, 03:57 AM
Salo

:scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

I seriously couldn't make it all the way through this one , it was like Abu-Grahib meets Fellini.

I've enjoyed

Friday the Thirteenth
Communion/ Alice Sweet Alice
Black Sunday (original)
Scream 1-3 (cheesy and horrible but fun)
Suspiria
Phenomena
Profondo Rosso
Tenebre/the Hatchet murders
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (hehe I'm Agento fan can you tell?)
Halloween
Diabolique
The Exorcist
Rosemary's Baby
Ringu (NOT the remake)
The Hills have Eyes