PDA

View Full Version : Jamie's Food Revolution USA

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Jenny
09-14-2010, 07:36 PM
The American. Schools in the UK don't serve pizza for breakfast as far as I'm aware. :lol:

I don't know what they do serve, but it's worth remembering that sorry state of school meals in the UK is what got Jamie started on all this in 2003. Jamie's School Dinners/Feed Me Better led to Jamie's Ministry of Food, which have been combined somewhat into Jamie's Food Revolution in the US.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns/

Allskate
09-14-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't know what they do serve,

Fish and chips?

allezfred
09-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Fish and chips?

Turkey twizzlers and chicken nuggets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFkAszCA9dI)

The striking difference between the UK series and the episode I saw last night was that the UK dinner ladies were at least aware what they were serving was not healthy. I don't know if it was the fact that an outsider was coming in telling them what to do had something to do with it, but the attitude of the US "cooks" was shocking.

Prancer
09-15-2010, 05:33 AM
The American. Schools in the UK don't serve pizza for breakfast as far as I'm aware. :lol:

If you can eat pizza for dinner, why not for breakfast?

Or were they serving breakfast pizza? :P In that case, they'd be better off calling Domino's

The striking difference between the UK series and the episode I saw last night was that the UK dinner ladies were at least aware what they were serving was not healthy.

Maybe it's just me, but somehow that doesn't strike me as the better situation. :shuffle:

allezfred
09-15-2010, 10:17 AM
If you can eat pizza for dinner, why not for breakfast?

Or were they serving breakfast pizza? :P In that case, they'd be better off calling Domino's

What I meant to say was that as far as I'm aware schools in the UK don't do breakfast period. Any British posters please correct me if I'm wrong. :o

Although the idea of pizza for breakfast is :eek: for most people on this side of the Atlantic. It just sounds a bit stodgy for a first meal of the day.

And when you tell them that some Americans eat cold pizza as a hangover cure that squicks them out. Personally, cold pizza is the only way I like pizza unless the pizza has no cheese (and yes they do have pizzas with no cheese in Italy).

Maybe it's just me, but somehow that doesn't strike me as the better situation. :shuffle:

I think it was more that they knew the food wasn't great, but that they felt they didn't have the power to change it? Perhaps it was that Jamie Oliver is more well known in the UK, but they seemed more willing and open to his ideas and had respect for him as a cooking professional.

Prancer
09-15-2010, 01:03 PM
What I meant to say was that as far as I'm aware schools in the UK don't do breakfast period. Any British posters please correct me if I'm wrong. :o

Most schools here don't, either. AFAIK, the only school districts that offer breakfast to students are districts that have very high levels of poverty. I know that locally, the only schools that qualify for breakfasts are those in which a certain statistical majority are living at or below the poverty line. And breakfast is nearly always worse than lunch. Pizza would be a step up for the kids in the next town over, who get doughnuts every day. And even that has been demonstrated to improve their academic performance, because before most of them weren't getting any breakfast regularly.

Although the idea of pizza for breakfast is :eek: for most people on this side of the Atlantic. It just sounds a bit stodgy for a first meal of the day.

It's a bit :eek: for some people on this side, too. My husband has never had pizza for breakfast and thinks it's the grossest idea ever. I tell him he doesn't know what he's missing. Me, I eat whatever I feel like eating whenever and will just as likely eat a sandwich or leftover dinner as eggs or cereal for breakfast. If it's good at 6 p.m., it's good at 6 a.m., too, and vice versa.

And you can get pizza here without cheese, if you want it :lol:. I'm sure if you asked, you could get it that way in Ireland, too, and they'd be delighted, as cheese is the most expensive thing on most pizzas and I haven't noticed that anyone drops the price when they leave off the cheese.

Perhaps it was that Jamie Oliver is more well known in the UK, but they seemed more willing and open to his ideas and had respect for him as a cooking professional.

If one wants to go where people are likely to listen to the ideas of some stranger butting in and telling them how to do things, one doesn't go to Appalachia to do it--as I am sure the producers were aware. Nothing puts backs up in the hills like a self-proclaimed savior unless his name is Jesus Christ and even then, he'd better expect to prove himself and earn the title.

An article about Huntington from 2008 that details something about the locale and the locals: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27697364/

allezfred
09-15-2010, 02:32 PM
And you can get pizza here without cheese, if you want it :lol:. I'm sure if you asked, you could get it that way in Ireland, too, and they'd be delighted, as cheese is the most expensive thing on most pizzas and I haven't noticed that anyone drops the price when they leave off the cheese.

I'd do that except I hate being thought of as an awkward orderer as in Sally from "When Harry Met Sally". :slinkaway

An article about Huntington from 2008 that details something about the locale and the locals: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27697364/

:eek: :eek:

Skittl1321
09-15-2010, 05:00 PM
I'd do that except I hate being thought of as an awkward orderer

Papa Johns (in the US- a chain) has an option on their online ordering for "extra cheese", "half cheese" and "no cheese".

I know some people don't consider that "real" pizza :) but I like it!

marbri
09-15-2010, 05:34 PM
I first saw the the UK version of this show years ago. Saw 2-3 episodes of the American version.

I found the UK version much more interesting, informative and cooperative. I found the American version more hostile, from both sides. Jamie is more famous now then he was when he did the UK version, I found he focused too much on the dumb ignorant locals and they in turn immediately went on the defensive.

I thought it was the wrong choice to start this revoluation in that location. I didn't understand how they thought they would really achieve anything. Would it not make more sense to jump into Average Town, USA. Instead they picked the one with the worst statistics in an area of the US Prancer has already pointed out was a difficult location. After 2-3 episodes I stopped watching because having seen the original this seemed to be turning into a more tacky/reality TV version where the viewing public sat at home laughing and stunned by the stupid locals.

Maybe it ended better than it began, I lost interest.

Anita18
09-15-2010, 06:25 PM
It's a bit :eek: for some people on this side, too. My husband has never had pizza for breakfast and thinks it's the grossest idea ever. I tell him he doesn't know what he's missing. Me, I eat whatever I feel like eating whenever and will just as likely eat a sandwich or leftover dinner as eggs or cereal for breakfast. If it's good at 6 p.m., it's good at 6 a.m., too, and vice versa.
Having a sensitive stomach, it certainly makes a difference whether I have pizza at 6am or 6pm! :lol:

I first saw the the UK version of this show years ago. Saw 2-3 episodes of the American version.

I found the UK version much more interesting, informative and cooperative. I found the American version more hostile, from both sides. Jamie is more famous now then he was when he did the UK version, I found he focused too much on the dumb ignorant locals and they in turn immediately went on the defensive.

I thought it was the wrong choice to start this revoluation in that location. I didn't understand how they thought they would really achieve anything. Would it not make more sense to jump into Average Town, USA. Instead they picked the one with the worst statistics in an area of the US Prancer has already pointed out was a difficult location. After 2-3 episodes I stopped watching because having seen the original this seemed to be turning into a more tacky/reality TV version where the viewing public sat at home laughing and stunned by the stupid locals.

Maybe it ended better than it began, I lost interest.
I think it was mostly them trying to cater to the US reality-show-watching population, which definitely skews more dramatic "haha look at those stupid people" theatrics instead of actual education.

Speaking of bad food, the French postdoc says that they even have bad school food IN PARIS. :rofl: Nobody ate at the cafeteria because the food would make you sick. (There's reason why lunches were 1.50 euro...) There is no hope for anybody at this point. :rofl:

jeffisjeff
09-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Most schools here don't, either. AFAIK, the only school districts that offer breakfast to students are districts that have very high levels of poverty.

Our district, which isn't high in poverty, offers breakfast. But that is because school doesn't start until after 9am, so lots of kids go to "before care" at the school, which opens at something like 7am. Alot of those kids buy breakfast at the school.

Papa Johns (in the US- a chain) has an option on their online ordering for "extra cheese", "half cheese" and "no cheese".

They also have a "light cheese" option, which I believe is low fat cheese. My husband always gets that and it never seems like less cheese, so we assume (hope?) that it is just reduced fat cheese.

Jenny
09-15-2010, 07:38 PM
I'd do that except I hate being thought of as an awkward orderer as in Sally from "When Harry Met Sally". :slinkaway

:huh: As long as I can remember, pizza is one of those foods where you do get to order exactly what you want. Our local takeout, like millions of others, offers a lengthy list of toppings, several choices a crust, an entire "white" pizza menu (no tomato sauce) and assorted pizzas with no cheese. And we often order mushrooms on only half the pizza, no big deal.

Rex
09-15-2010, 08:31 PM
And some places do serve breakfast pizza, although they tend to be a tad rich, with the eggs and cheese and what have you.

Prancer
09-15-2010, 09:17 PM

So does Pizza Hut. But really.......

:huh: As long as I can remember, pizza is one of those foods where you do get to order exactly what you want. Our local takeout, like millions of others, offers a lengthy list of toppings, several choices a crust, an entire "white" pizza menu (no tomato sauce) and assorted pizzas with no cheese. And we often order mushrooms on only half the pizza, no big deal.

Since pizza is nearly always made to order, it's no big deal to do something special. Even standard order pizzas are made according to what the customer wants. Leaving off cheese is one of the easiest. It's not a Sally sort of order at all :lol: A Sally order would be something like "Could you put toppings on in fourths instead of halves, and put extra pepperoni on this quarter, just a few pepperonis on that one, extra cheese on just this one with all veggie topping--and don't let any meat touch that one, she's a vegetarian and will freak--and maybe put sausage on the other three quarters, only not a lot...."

My oldest brother once owned three pizza places and I worked for him. No cheese? No big deal; if anything, it's easier than adding toppings. And a lot of pizza makers put the cheese on incorrectly, which is what makes the middle of the crust soggy, so that's one less thing customers have to complain about.

And some places do serve breakfast pizza, although they tend to be a tad rich, with the eggs and cheese and what have you.

I haven't seen the show, so I asked if that was what they were eating. It's not really pizza as most people understand the word and it DOES make me sick in the morning. :P

Our district, which isn't high in poverty, offers breakfast. But that is because school doesn't start until after 9am, so lots of kids go to "before care" at the school, which opens at something like 7am. Alot of those kids buy breakfast at the school.

I guess I was assuming, maybe incorrectly, that they were getting free breakfasts.

allezfred
09-16-2010, 12:08 AM

And all of the above completely puts me off. Far too much choice. Far too much work on my part.