PDA

View Full Version : Jamie's Food Revolution USA

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

Cyn
04-02-2010, 07:09 AM
Cyn, I never eat canned fruit. I don't know what the heck they do when they process it but it's always limp/mushy and the flavor isn't that great either. I mix fresh fruit with the fruit in the jars. In the jar still might not be as good as fresh but I find it tastes better and is fresher. I can especially tell the difference with pineapple and even the pears aren't as nasty as the in the can.

I'm with you about the canned crap - it ruins the texture and flavor no matter what the fruit, but peaches (the wedges, not diced) seem to fare better than most canned fruit, though that's not saying much.

As for fruit in jars (like grapefruit wedges) that are refridgerated and sold next to the produce department, they'll do in a pinch if fresh isn't available, but again, if there's fresh available, that's what I'm buying.

Ironically, my neighbor and I are planting a vegetable garden in my backyard (this is a first for me), and I'm going to have to learn how to can (or do the Mason jar thing) certain types of veggies :lol: . We're also going to be pickling cucumbers and okra (another first), and will probably be having tomatoes coming out of our ears - not that I'm complaining as a garden-fresh tomato sandwich on white bread with mayo, salt, and pepper is my all-time favorite summer lunch :swoon: .

Jenny
04-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Ironically, my neighbor and I are planting a vegetable garden in my backyard (this is a first for me), and I'm going to have to learn how to can (or do the Mason jar thing) certain types of veggies :lol: . We're also going to be pickling cucumbers and okra (another first), and will probably be having tomatoes coming out of our ears - not that I'm complaining as a garden-fresh tomato sandwich on white bread with mayo, salt, and pepper is my all-time favorite summer lunch :swoon: .

Good for you - I hope you enjoy it! And if you really want to take it all the way, make the bread and mayo yourself. :)

Allskate
04-02-2010, 05:17 PM
I just don't like canned fruit period. It's so sweet and fake tasting. I much prefer fresh fruit.

That's how I feel about canned peas. I hated peas until I tasted fresh ones.

Cyn, you have me drooling with your talk of garden-fresh tomatoes. It's so hard to find real tomatoes for sale these days.

Cyn
04-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Cyn, you have me drooling with your talk of garden-fresh tomatoes. It's so hard to find real tomatoes for sale these days.

This may be a tad out there, but you may be able to pull off home-grown tomatoes for yourself. I was watching CNBC late the other night, and they did a special on all those "As Seen On TV" gadgets and doohickeys that people mail off for. In addition to covering the industry, they did a segment covering some of the ones that seem to work.

One of the items that received a positive review was this thing called a Topsy-Turvy Tomato (or something like that). It allows you to grow tomato plants indoors from a hanging-basket thing (the plant grows upside down somehow), and according to the show, the sucker works. Even better, it's now available in a lot of drug stores. I've seen it at Rite-Aid and CVS, so you might want to check it out. IIRC, they run about 20 bucks, which is a small price to pay for fresh, juicy 'maters rather than those nasty, pink, grainy, flavorless greenhouse things most grocery stores carry.

Anita18
04-03-2010, 01:14 AM
This may be a tad out there, but you may be able to pull off home-grown tomatoes for yourself. I was watching CNBC late the other night, and they did a special on all those "As Seen On TV" gadgets and doohickeys that people mail off for. In addition to covering the industry, they did a segment covering some of the ones that seem to work.

One of the items that received a positive review was this thing called a Topsy-Turvy Tomato (or something like that). It allows you to grow tomato plants indoors from a hanging-basket thing (the plant grows upside down somehow), and according to the show, the sucker works. Even better, it's now available in a lot of drug stores. I've seen it at Rite-Aid and CVS, so you might want to check it out. IIRC, they run about 20 bucks, which is a small price to pay for fresh, juicy 'maters rather than those nasty, pink, grainy, flavorless greenhouse things most grocery stores carry.
I've heard that those are hit and miss. Sometimes the plant will not like growing upside down and try to grow back up into the pot. :lol:

Tomatoes are pretty easy to grow. My bf took some seeds left over when we ate some heirloom tomatoes and stuck it in some pots in the backyard which I had neglected to clean out when their original plants died...and I had a bunch of little tomato seedlings growing a few months ago right during winter. :lol: Luckily we live in SoCal and it was mild enough that most of the seedlings lived and now I have 3 happy growing flowering heirloom tomato plants in my backyard. :P Just get one big pot per plant (biggest pot you can find, the roots go DEEP) and a sunny spot, and you should be good to go. Tomatoes love sun, so they're a perfect summer plant. The only thing you really need to do is make sure they get a lot of sun and water it slow and deep but not too often.

KikiSashaFan
04-03-2010, 01:50 AM
My elementary school and middle school both did not have cafeterias, so the only option was to brown bag it. Plus the elementary school had lunch inspections daily, as things like pop, candy, potato chips etc weren't allowed.

Our highscool cafeteria was amazing. The food was cheap (2 bucks for soups, salads and sandwiches, 4-5 dollars for entrees like pasta dishes or meat with potatoes and veggies) and it was also all made fresh daily. Instead of paying lots of money to staff and cook the food, they allowed the local college to use their facilities to run their culinary arts program. The HS students got cheap and healthy food, and the college students got their training. It was win win.

rfisher
04-03-2010, 02:23 AM

Everybody I know who tried those upside down thingys, threw them away.

BigB08822
04-03-2010, 02:26 AM
I'm watching this tonight while I try to decide what I want for dinner...Sonic? McDonalds? Wendys? How awful....

AragornElessar
04-03-2010, 07:14 AM
I can't believe that the person in charge of the Food Program went after Jamie for not having enough veggies in that Stir Fry and then insisted that French Fries had to go back on the Lunch menu to get the proper Veggie quota.

I mean...Really!?! Unbelievable and I share Jamie's anger over a French Fry being considered a Veggie choice every day. No wonder our kids are becoming obese!!

Oh and Anita...You think sliced fresh peaches are a slice of heaven. Have you ever had a half of a peach after it had been grilled and a drizzle of honey over it? That was the dessert at a cousin's Bridal Shower last year and to die for!! Soooo good!!!

Cyn
04-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Luckily we live in SoCal and it was mild enough that most of the seedlings lived and now I have 3 happy growing flowering heirloom tomato plants in my backyard. :P Just get one big pot per plant (biggest pot you can find, the roots go DEEP) and a sunny spot, and you should be good to go. Tomatoes love sun, so they're a perfect summer plant. The only thing you really need to do is make sure they get a lot of sun and water it slow and deep but not too often.

:cheer2: Glad to hear you have tomato plants - no one should ever be deprived of those summertime gems :swoon: .

Everybody I know who tried those upside down thingys, threw them away.

:( :fragile: . So much for accuracy in consumer journalism :lol: . When the reporter said the things worked, I had high hopes for people I know who live in apartments and don't have access to a plot for a garden.

Several of the churches near here are allowing their members to set up small family gardens on the property. I don't know if they have to pay a fee or what, but some fo the Moms I talked with absolutely loved the idea. My neighbor who I'm gardening with right now did that last year, but their church was almost 20 miles from their house and it became a PITA to go over there every day to water, check on things, etc. It's much easier to walk down the street to do the same thing now :lol: .

I can't believe that the person in charge of the Food Program went after Jamie for not having enough veggies in that Stir Fry and then insisted that French Fries had to go back on the Lunch menu to get the proper Veggie quota.

I mean...Really!?! Unbelievable and I share Jamie's anger over a French Fry being considered a Veggie choice every day. No wonder our kids are becoming obese!!

That's absolute bollocks. They have to add FF to satisfy some bullshit regulation decree, and of course, French Fries are just chock-full of nutrition :rolleyes: :mad: .

And FFS, they're having to eat all that fatty, processed potato crap. How damn difficult is it to "bake" potatoes like the way Wendy's does (IIRC they're actually boiled and/or steamed), and serve each kid a half of one? To me that would make a lot more sense and would likely be more nutricious than deep frying all the preservative-laden crap in old oil? :wall:

BTW, why was it ever decided that middle and high schools had to have their lunch hour turned into a miniature Food Court? I swear, HS today have it better than the cafeterias at most of the colleges back when I was in school.

Jenny
04-03-2010, 01:15 PM
:( :fragile: . So much for accuracy in consumer journalism :lol: . When the reporter said the things worked, I had high hopes for people I know who live in apartments and don't have access to a plot for a garden.

I wouldn't give up on them yet - if there are good reviews, it's worth a shot.

As for growing things in less than perfect conditions, check out yougrowgirl.com (also a book) - it's all about urban gardening in less than perfect conditions (like SoCal Anita, ahem!).

FSUer mkats has also shared photos of her efforts over the past year or two to grow all kinds of fruits and vegetables in her dorm room and on a balcony, and the results are really impressive!

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Anita18
04-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Oh and Anita...You think sliced fresh peaches are a slice of heaven. Have you ever had a half of a peach after it had been grilled and a drizzle of honey over it? That was the dessert at a cousin's Bridal Shower last year and to die for!! Soooo good!!!
I always thought that cooked fruit was sacrilege but I've been a little more adventurous in my cooking and have made caramelized cherry dishes and caramelized pear dishes and those were delish so I might try the grilled peach idea now. :lol:

As for growing things in less than perfect conditions, check out yougrowgirl.com (also a book) - it's all about urban gardening in less than perfect conditions (like SoCal Anita, ahem!).

FSUer mkats has also shared photos of her efforts over the past year or two to grow all kinds of fruits and vegetables in her dorm room and on a balcony, and the results are really impressive!

Where there's a will, there's a way.
mkats' efforts are more impressive than mine! At least I get a lot of sun, no frost and I actually have a (small) backyard to put all my huge pots in. I also don't get too scientific with my growing haha. I'm too lazy to cultivate the soil and weed, but many plants are fine in pots. The yield is not great for things like broccoli (ugh never again) or tomatoes, but the leafy plants grow like crazy. My parsley grew up to like, 4 ft high before I finally cut it down. All you really need is a sunny spot. And even if you don't have one, there's always grow lights.

bobalina77
04-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Reading these comments is making me wish could watch this. I'm working till 10 Friday nights though.. meh.

BigB08822
04-03-2010, 09:11 PM
I was also shocked that the woman said there weren't enough veggies in his dish and they had to bring out fries. However, there was also salad included to meet the quota but the kids did not have to take any and almost none of them did! At least with the pasta the kids would be eating some veggies. She also admitted she didn't check to see if the dish had enough veggies, she just assumed. Jamie seemed convinced he measured it all out correctly and I think he is probably right. She didn't seem like a betch but she showed how messed up the system is.

bobalina77
04-03-2010, 09:47 PM
How can a stirfry not have enough veggies? I'm perplexed by this..