PDA

View Full Version : Jamie's Food Revolution USA

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

skatingfan5
03-30-2010, 10:07 PM
The program is hardly being presented as a documentary -- it bears as much relation to "reality" as Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. They both take elements of real life and script and package them to be an entertaining program.

silverstars
03-30-2010, 10:18 PM
"Reality" or not, I've volunteered in elementary schools and the problem that Jamie is calling attention to is most certainly a wide-spread, important issue. Of course there's going to be editing, but I'm glad that he's making people aware that in a lot of places in this country, there is a serious level of either ignorance towards or inability to follow nutritional standards. When it comes to children, this can lead to serious development issues as well as habits of unhealthy eating that are certainly contributing the US's obesity problems. Nonetheless, I'm sure that you'd find many more people who can talk to you about the wars that we're in than people who can talk at length about ways to solve nutritional deficiencies in school-aged children--or who are even aware of the problem, really.

So, basically, it's annoying when reality TV is staged, but I'd much prefer the impact of this show than, say, the discussions that arise after watching The Hills.

PeterG
03-30-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm sure the dumping of all that fat was staged...

Ya think? And here I thought they had all that fat on hand not being used... ;)

skatingfan5
03-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Ya think? And here I thought they had all that fat on hand not being used... ;)I thought they just had it on hand for the next time they served fried chicken for lunch. :P BTW, I just loved the OTT theatrics of burying the family's fryer in the back yard. :respec: Also, the "out of the mouth of babes" answer about what her favorite meal was (supposedly from the healthy recipes Jamie had given her mother): "Pizza!" :lol:

rfisher
03-31-2010, 12:13 AM
The program is hardly being presented as a documentary -- it bears as much relation to "reality" as Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. They both take elements of real life and script and package them to be an entertaining program.

:lol: It was bought and paid for.This show was done for entertainment purposes. The people who appear benefited financially (some more than others) as did the city, so all is well. As I said, he had a state of the art kitchen installed in a local church and they were paid 250K for a new building. Needless to say, the pastor who appears on several episodes was quite happy to perform. People can take it for what they want.

Even documentarys are scripted. I well remember a friend who is a wild life photographer who wanted me to look at a film that had been picked up by Nova. There was a scene with a snake and a mouse. I asked how long they had to wait for that. He answered, uh none really. There was footage of a snake and footage of a mouse. They were edited to appear that the snake was hunting the mouse. I've never watched a wildlife documentary the same since.

marbri
03-31-2010, 12:16 AM
But snakes do hunt mice?

rfisher
03-31-2010, 12:20 AM
But snakes do hunt mice?

Yes. Just that that particular snake was not hunting that particular mouse. :lol: It was just edited to appear that it did and the narration implied that it was. Which illustrates that things are not always what they seem or are implied to be. :)

Anita18
03-31-2010, 12:38 AM
Yes. Just that that particular snake was not hunting that particular mouse. :lol: It was just edited to appear that it did and the narration implied that it was. Which illustrates that things are not always what they seem or are implied to be. :)
The magic of editing. :encore:

Allskate
03-31-2010, 12:48 AM

I don't get your comparison to the snake and mouse. You said that the producers chose the food and suggested that this food is not what they ordinarily serve and not what Jamie would choose to serve. That's like saying that snakes don't really hunt mice. Because the main premise of this show is that the kids are not being served great food in their lunches and Jamie is trying to change that because he wants to introduce healthy real food. You're pretty much suggesting that the central premise of the show is false. But you won't back up your claim with any details. If you're going to fundamentally call into question the core of the show with claims of inside information and being there when these scenes were filmed, then spill!

Jenny
03-31-2010, 01:46 PM
:lol: It was bought and paid for.This show was done for entertainment purposes. The people who appear benefited financially (some more than others) as did the city, so all is well.

I still don't get why you think this is funny, or why you think "all is well" in what is apparently the most unhealthy community in America.

Everybody understands that shows like this are made in a certain way so that they fit into the time limits of television, and that they have to have a certain amount of over the top emotion etc to engage the audience (because a simple show about good nutrition for children would never get ratings in the US, which is part of the irony of all this).

The thing I think you are missing is the overall message of the show, which is nothing to laugh about.

allezfred
03-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Jamie Oliver did a similar programme about six years ago in the UK called Jamie's School Dinners.

An interesting report (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/mar/29/jamie-oliver-school-dinners-meals) came out yesterday about grades and attendance in areas where healthier meals have been introduced.

I think Jamie Oliver is an obnoxious twat most of the time, but I have to give him respect for his campaigning on this issue.

MOIJTO
03-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Jamie Oliver did a similar programme about six years ago in the UK called Jamie's School Dinners.

An interesting report (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/mar/29/jamie-oliver-school-dinners-meals) came out yesterday about grades and attendance in areas where healthier meals have been introduced.

Well those of us that are from the era of "homecooking" and "have a good breakfast that sticks to your ribs" know the truth in the article. :)

Jenny
03-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks for sharing this update on Jamie's UK program. With all the resistance, cynicism and ridicule he's facing in the US, it's no wonder the country is in such poor health.

Much has been made about the ratio of US dollars spent on the military vs health etc - what Americans don't seem to realize is that they are killing themselves more effectively than perhaps even the country's worst enemies could hope.

Civic
03-31-2010, 05:40 PM
From what I've read, part of the problem is that school districts slashed their food service budgets in order to save money. As a result, they no longer hire enough cafeteria staff to prepare meals from scratch. Instead they rely upon prepared foods the cafeteria staff merely need to heat before serving.

Allskate
03-31-2010, 05:56 PM
From what I've read, part of the problem is that school districts slashed their food service budgets in order to save money. As a result, they no longer hire enough cafeteria staff to prepare meals from scratch. Instead they rely upon prepared foods the cafeteria staff merely need to heat before serving.

Yeah. I read an article with Jamie Oliver where he said that they were able to get the actual food costs within budget, but the labor costs were higher. If they started buying good food in bulk for the entire schools system, the way that they now buy crap in bulk, they can probably bring down the food costs more. Maybe even the labor costs, too. For example, if they have a central location where someone prepares all the bread and marinades all the chicken for the entire school system and then sends it out to the schools so that they just have to put the pan in the oven and bake it, they might be able to bring down the costs more.