PDA

View Full Version : Jamie's Food Revolution USA

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

MacMadame
09-17-2010, 07:19 PM
I think my favourite part though was when Jamie started crying in the playground. PML :rofl: :EVILLE:
He is a bit of a drama queen, isn't he? :D

It is no wonder that my son (whose eating habits were primarily formed in Ireland) is a much better eater than my daughter, who spent the past two years in a US day care. My son likes a wide variety of foods, and always wants to try new things. My daughter wants spaghetti hoops everyday. :lol:

Of course, I know that some will say that my daughter's eating habits are my own fault. That may be true, but I do try! Really!
You have to account for their personalities too. I have one picky one and one not picky and they both grew up on US school lunches.

Most schools here don't, either. AFAIK, the only school districts that offer breakfast to students are districts that have very high levels of poverty.
I'm sure this varies regionally. Our school has a breakfast program and our school district is fairly middle class. However, the area we live in is very mixed economically and there are pockets of poverty so I'm glad they do free breakfasts even if they are mostly just sugary cereal.

AragornElessar
09-18-2010, 01:40 AM
:huh: As long as I can remember, pizza is one of those foods where you do get to order exactly what you want. Our local takeout, like millions of others, offers a lengthy list of toppings, several choices a crust, an entire "white" pizza menu (no tomato sauce) and assorted pizzas with no cheese. And we often order mushrooms on only half the pizza, no big deal.

When on Dialysis back in the early 90's, Pizza was a no no due to the tomato sauce. Tomatoes are high in Potassium and since my kidneys were dead, there was no way for that to be filtered out of my system. However, I was still a 19/20 year old who missed her Pizza. So the Dietitian told us that if we ordered a Personal Pan Hawaiian Pizza from Pizza Hut (which was then and still is my favourite) w/no Tomato Sauce on it at all, then I could have my Pizza fix once in awhile. Since I followed the Diet to the letter, I could get away w/that every so often/special occasions.

The first few times we ordered it, we got some pretty odd looks from the Staff, but it was the fifth or sixth time when someone finally had the courage to ask my Mom why she/we were ordering a Pizza w/no sauce. Once she told them, it was like a lighbulb went off and it made sense. Not only that, but I was told at my next Dialysis treatment they'd called the Unit and told the Dietitian to let everyone know they'd spread the word around to the other Pizza Hut's in our city and it was their pleasure to be able to provide something that would be a treat to all of us.

Now if getting salt free Fries was only that easy...:rolleyes:

So what if you're looked at funny when ordering something a bit different. If you need to do it for health reasons, then that's a no brainer. If it's just the way you like that dish, then that's okay too. Regardless, if the resturant wants your business, then they'll follow through on the order w/out too much hassle. Which, if they want business to increase, would be the smart thing to do because word of mouth that they're flexable to making changes to dishes will do just that!!

I was also really confused as to why they'd do the show in that area when I heard about it last season. Knowing what it's like around here, where I'm stuck in right now, no way no how was Jamie going to put that off in WV. I mean...This is a place where Type II Diabetes is on the rise, but when told what needs to be changed, the people get up on their high horses and "Well...I'm not changing the way I've eaten my entire life."

I've now known my Dietitian for close to twenty years now and I've never seen her as frustrated as she gets when talking about patients in this area. Sad too.

JerseySlore
09-18-2010, 01:48 AM
And all of the above completely puts me off. Far too much choice. Far too much work on my part.

I can sympathize with this. I HATE modifying my order. Ordering martini has got to be the most annoying ordeal. Neat or on the rock, olive or twist, tanqueray or bombay, I don't fcking care. Mix however you like, I'll drink it:slinkaway Since I find this unbearable, I can pretty much forget about ordering pizza over the phone :lol:

MacMadame
09-18-2010, 05:04 AM
Tonight I actually sent my dinner back. I don't think I've ever done that before. :shuffle:

MelodieSiska83
02-08-2011, 06:22 PM
General Strategies for Reducing Sodium Intake

In case your doctor recommends that you simply lower your sodium intake, here are a few general guidelines for reducing the quantity of salt in what you eat.

* Special foods aren't necessary for the dietary plan. Eliminating salty foods out of your diet and lowering the quantity of salt utilized in cooking are essential steps.
* Many salt-free or reduced-salt goods are available. You might choose low-sodium products to change foods that are prohibited.
* Salt substitutes can be utilized together with your doctor's permission.
* Let the creativity flow and season the food with spices, herbs, lemons, oranges, wine and Tabasco sauce. Move the salt shaker from the table.
* Read ingredient labels to recognize foods full of sodium. High-sodium food additives include salt, baking powder, brine or another items which say "sodium," for example mono sodium glutamate (MSG).
* Eat more home-cooked meals. Foods cooked on your own are naturally lower in sodium, since you are in charge of just how much salt is added.
* Avoid softened water to cook because it contains added salt.
* Avoid medications which contain sodium, for example alka seltzer and bromo seltzer.
* For additional info on specific foods, or if you wish to actually calculate your everyday sodium intake, you may consider reading food labels or make use of a sodium reference guide.

More useful resources:
- The Mediterranean Diet Menu (http://www.mediterraneanbook.com/the-mediterranean-diet/)
- The Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284)
- The Washington University (http://oto2.wustl.edu/men/sodium.htm)

Andrushka
02-08-2011, 06:42 PM
I watched this show last year and I am 100% in favor of what Jamie is doing.I am very picky about what my children eat,mostly because of their food intolerances but all in all I try to avoid pre-packaged anything,I even watch their sodium intake even though they are children.I catch alot of looks and comments for being so picky about what the boys eat.But I want them to be strong and healthy. Most fruit snacks are banned from my house,for one because it's mainly sugar,for 2 because they make my eldest bounce off the walls lol

When I watched the show I was shocked that children didn't know what the various veggies were. I make a regular "game" of it with the boys when we go to the store,we go through the produce section and do a little quiz.

I do however have 2 kids with 2 completely different eating habits.My eldest loves carbs and is quite picky,so I try to focus on the healthy foods that he will eat and hide the "good"stuff(cookies etc...) or not buy them at all.My youngest is a very good eater and will try just about anything.He was eating Kumquats this morning,loves pickled beets and other various things.Loves,loves blueberries,my Mom tried to give him a banana instead of blueberries one day and he said "No,I want something small and blue please." :)

I am all for what Jamie is doing,and I wish it would spread like wild fire.

pingu
02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
When I watched the show I was shocked that children didn't know what the various veggies were.
me too...it was funny when the cook asked Jamie for a proof of UK kids using cutlery at school :lol:
Allezfred, how can you like cold pizza??? :drama:

Jenny
02-28-2011, 02:23 PM
fyi the second edition of this is on the way - this time it's in LA.

allezfred
02-28-2011, 02:38 PM

Sorry. :slinkaway

Jamie Oliver has a new series starting in the UK this week called "Jamie's Dream School" (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-interviews/2011/02/26/chef-jamie-oliver-recruits-celebrity-teachers-to-work-at-new-dream-school-86908-22950991/).

Every time I see him on TV he seems to have gotten fatter. :shuffle:

Skittl1321
02-28-2011, 02:50 PM
me too...it was funny when the cook asked Jamie for a proof of UK kids using cutlery at school :lol:

Cold pizza is a fantastic breakfast food.

Habs
02-28-2011, 03:29 PM
[SIZE="1"]

I would too if I could cook like Jamie can :shuffle:

DAngel
02-28-2011, 08:36 PM

I bet it's all the olive oil that he uses in his recipes :scream:

Habs
02-28-2011, 09:03 PM
I bet it's all the olive oil that he uses in his recipes :scream:

I love my Jamie cookbooks but I always modify the amounts of oil and butter he uses. Everything still tastes fine :)

Jenny
03-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Check this out - Jamie is continuing to expand his programs in the US -
http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2011/03/jamie_oliver_rolls_out_the_mot.html

Andrushka
03-04-2011, 12:17 AM
He has a new website for The Food Revolution,I received an update on my facebook earlier.I would like to get involved,especially now as my kids are starting school.(they'll have to take their lunch anyway due to wheat allergies)

I planted part of our garden with my kids on Tuesday.Trying to show them their food being grown from start to finish,we did that last year as well and my youngest ate all the peas straight out of the pods,I barely got one bowl full for other use lol.