PDA

View Full Version : New Rochette article

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Rafter
03-29-2010, 06:50 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/for-now-the-ice-calls-to-joannie-rochette/article1515484/

The article talks about Rochette's range of emotions since her mother died and says that her mother was a heavy smoker and fast-food junkie.

Lucy25
03-29-2010, 06:56 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/for-now-the-ice-calls-to-joannie-rochette/article1515484/

The article talks about Rochette's range of emotions since her mother died and says that her mother was a heavy smoker and fast-food junkie.

Thank you for this. I did not know that her mom was in such ill health before the heart attack. I hope her dad has someone at home with him, since Joannie is not there.

danafan
03-29-2010, 07:16 PM
The article refers to her boyfriend as a "former figure skater" - does this mean Chong and Gfeller aren't skating together anymore?

algonquin
03-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Amazing quote:

“You know, in skating you wear a nice costume, makeup, you get your hair done, you go out there with a little smile and you fall on your bum. You're all alone,” she says.

“If a hockey player falls, they get up, no big deal. For us, we're so easy to make fun of. You learn to get tough, and to have a shell around you and not care so much about what people say. You learn about yourself, to be your own best friend.”

elanfan
03-29-2010, 07:35 PM
She's a courageous and wise woman. Wishing her all the best as she moves forward.

AxelAnnie
03-29-2010, 07:42 PM
That was wonderful to read. She is an inspiration.

Cheylana
03-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Big hugs for Joannie. Wishing her and her dad the best.

TalentedButHumble
03-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Amazing quote
She's said a number of things in interviews that have struck me by their thoughtfulness and eloquence. But of the few chats she's done this month, almost all were in French. [And I'm in non-francais-teknik.] So I liked seeing another English one.

Interesting she seems to be aware of a few haterzzz criticisms about public appearances/ interviews. It's a bizarre situation for her.

And I totally relate to that wanting to avoid going to a place (in this case, her parents' home) that now brings up such bad feelings.

masofs
03-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Joannie is such a beautiful and strong person. I feel for her.

And I totally relate to that wanting to avoid going to a place (in this case, her parents' home) that now brings up such bad feelings.

Me too.

MikiAndoFan#1
03-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Thank you for sharing. I still can't believe what happened to her mother.

:(

Joannie is a true fighter and I believe she'll be ready for next season!

Reen
03-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Here is another article.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/rochette-considering-future-competitions/article1506092/

Judy
03-29-2010, 11:17 PM
I lost my dad in January and I can understand where she is coming from. The skating and shows etc are a comfort and necessary distraction right now. I threw myself back into work right away too. Everyone deals with it differently, she hasn't come to terms with it yet but she'll figure it out. Her dad likely has a support system back home as well.

Gazpacho
03-29-2010, 11:32 PM
I lost my dad in January and I can understand where she is coming from. The skating and shows etc are a comfort and necessary distraction right now. I threw myself back into work right away too. Everyone deals with it differently, she hasn't come to terms with it yet but she'll figure it out. Her dad likely has a support system back home as well.I really hope so. The article says that her dad is retired, so it must be so lonely for him :(

I also hope that all the distractions are good for Joannie. For some people, they are the best way to help grieve. For others, they only serve to suppress the pain that will eventually come out full force. Everyone grieves differently and benefits from different things.

Judy, my deepest condolences to you.

LuckyCharm
03-30-2010, 12:03 AM
I lost my dad in January and I can understand where she is coming from. The skating and shows etc are a comfort and necessary distraction right now. I threw myself back into work right away too. Everyone deals with it differently, she hasn't come to terms with it yet but she'll figure it out. Her dad likely has a support system back home as well.

Exactly. Skating is her job. Any non-celeb in her situation would be expected to go back to work after the funeral and grieve on their own time. I don't know what her detractors are bitching about.

Anyway, she's awesome and that's a fabulous article.

MikiAndoFan#1
03-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Here is another article.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/rochette-considering-future-competitions/article1506092/

Thanks for sharing! Is Joannie thinking of retirement?

:drama:

Judy, I'm sorry for your loss.

:(