PDA

View Full Version : New Rochette article

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RockTheTassel
04-06-2010, 05:19 AM
There are very few skaters who seem to have the respect from almost all skating fans. Joannie is one of them (and even before her loss). Shen and Zhou are another. She is such a wonderful ambassador for skating, and Canada. Such a shame it took the situation that happened to make the rest of the world take notice of this lovely woman. Oh, she looks stunning in the red velvet dress.

Exactly. Even though I try to keep my judgments about skating strictly to what a skater does on the ice, I have to admit that I enjoy watching a skater's performance more when I know he or she is just as poised and lovely off the ice. Joannie is definitely one of those skaters.

TalentedButHumble
04-06-2010, 05:47 AM
I just had to mention that late Mon. night I checked the Time poll and her ranking was 27, behind Michelle Obama and ahead of Sarah Palin. I kinda particularly enjoyed that latter part. ;)

There are very few skaters who seem to have the respect from almost all skating fans. Joannie is one of them (and even before her loss). Shen and Zhou are another.Ozzisk8tr I was thinking the exact same thing the other day.

pinky166
04-06-2010, 05:51 PM
There are very few skaters who seem to have the respect from almost all skating fans. Joannie is one of them (and even before her loss). Shen and Zhou are another. She is such a wonderful ambassador for skating, and Canada. Such a shame it took the situation that happened to make the rest of the world take notice of this lovely woman. Oh, she looks stunning in the red velvet dress.

I agree! I'd also put Mirai and Yuna (apart from the Japanese Mao-bots who insist she's ugly and has calculated scores :rolleyes:) on that list as well. Good skaters, nice people, and polite!

TalentedButHumble
04-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Hereís something for the mildly eerie coincidences file: Today in the mail I got an acknowledgement of the sympathy card Iíd sent to Joannie.
The weird part - today is the first anniversary of my fatherís death.
It just seemed strange to have gotten that card today of all days. (And nice that such acknowledgements were sent out. Some donít even do that anymore.)

Aussie Willy
04-13-2010, 03:50 AM
Thanks for posting the article.

Every time I read about Joannie I have nothing but respect for her. She shows great maturity and is very articulate. What a great role model.

The part about her mother's health is very interesting. I think any of us with parents who have health problems due to diet or other preventable factors can relate to that (my Dad had a pacemaker put in). Joannie is very honest about that. I wouldn't be surprised to see her become a spokesperson for anti-smoking and health campaigns. She would be excellent in that kind of role.

ChiquitaBanana
04-13-2010, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see her become a spokesperson for anti-smoking and health campaigns. She would be excellent in that kind of role.

She now has he rown skating tour for the Heart and Stroke foundation. I guess she's going to be one of their spoke-person.

NattyDread
04-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Anybody getting a bad feeling about the way the US tour of Stars on Ice hired Joannie at the last minute and is now is hyping Joannie for overcoming her tragedy, instead of her outstanding skating, which too conveniently takes attention away from another, oh lets say "flamboyant skater" who wasn't hired on the SOI tour and got lots of media because of it?. Reeks of decoy to me.

Aussie Willy
04-14-2010, 03:27 AM
Anybody getting a bad feeling about the way the US tour of Stars on Ice hired Joannie at the last minute and is now is hyping Joannie for overcoming her tragedy, instead of her outstanding skating, which too conveniently takes attention away from another, oh lets say "flamboyant skater" who wasn't hired on the SOI tour and got lots of media because of it?. Reeks of decoy to me.
I don't think Joannie is anybody's fool. She was quite clear in the article that she takes the opportunities to make a living from her skating. And she is very aware in the level of interest in her story. But she is very sensible too and a realist.

Hate to say it but it is a double-edged sword. She is incredibly marketable at the moment but more so because of her incredible performance at the Olympics under the circumstances. But she damned well deserved that bronze medal. However I wouldn't assume that there is anything malicious behind it. Still the reality is if you ran that tour, your marketing people are instantly going to be looking at the opportunity.

TalentedButHumble
04-14-2010, 03:53 AM
the way the US tour of Stars on Ice hired Joannie at the last minute ... which too conveniently takes attention away from another, oh lets say "flamboyant skater" who wasn't hired ... Reeks of decoy to me.

:huh: x zillion
Newsflash: It's not ALWAYS about Johnny. :rolleyes:

Joannie's a good skater, popular with the other skaters, and she actually won a medal at the Olympics. :P

Unfortunately, she only did a few US SOI dates - even though many USers elsewhere would've liked to see her. I guess we should've started a petition and claimed US-SOI discriminates against Canadians or something. :lol:

btw chiquita what heart-related fundraising shows are you talking about? There's not a thing out there about that.

MR-FAN
04-15-2010, 04:13 AM
Joannie's incredible new exhibition to "My Immortal" by Evanescence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zuM4bDVixY

Mesmerizing. Simple Mesmerizing.

shutterbug
04-15-2010, 04:43 AM

Gorgeous! Choreo by Shae-Lynn I'm betting.

Really
04-15-2010, 04:57 AM
I am very much looking forward to seeing her skate in Edmonton on May 8. What a gorgeous performance!

MR-FAN
04-15-2010, 05:24 AM
Gorgeous! Choreo by Shae-Lynn I'm betting.

Could be, but it feels like Lori's choreography to me.

God, I'm addicted to this program! I can't quit watching it. There are so many amazing moments in there:

The beautiful, elegant dress (she has one hell of a sexy back)
The gorgeous deep backward spiral
The way she's freakin moving! and her speed and flow
The split falling leaf perfectly placed at the crescendo of the song
The Ina bauer! I've never seen her do one
Those gorgeous jumps of hers (she owns the salchow and the toe loop)
The change of edge spiral without having to grab her blade or hold it for 6 seconds
Her understated and true emotions

What a program

clarie
04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
I agree............that has got to be the most touching elegant program I have ever seen. It's totally polished without being overly dramatic, and what wonderful mature skating from Joannie. I hope she stays in competition longer as she is really mesmerizing. :)

RunnersHigh
04-15-2010, 12:12 PM

Wow.... cool! :swoon: