PDA

View Full Version : New Rochette article

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Bailey_
03-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Very interesting article, thank you for sharing. Although, it makes me very sad to hear of her mom's declining health and to imagine the stress that it must have placed on their relationship. My mom was a smoker while I was growing up and I have had those fights. Joannie's twitter this past week said she was going skiing for the first time, taking lessons. I thought to myself - skiing, now? And then realized that she probably needs something new, something to make her feel alive, some distraction from the terrible grief she must be feeling. My heart breaks for her mom because it must have been a lonely and difficult time for her, these past few years. And also for her father, who is now left to deal with his grief alone in their home. It is a very sad situation.

Looking forward to seeing Joannie at Stars on Ice. No doubt the crowds will envelope her in their affection and she needs that right now.

Really
03-30-2010, 02:15 AM
Interview on e-talk Canada -- talks about finding notes in her mom's purse that list the symptoms she'd been feeling before her heart attack. She'll be participating in the Heart Truth (http://www.thehearttruth.ca/joannie_rochette)fashion show in TO on Wednesday (March 31). Gorgeous red dress she'll be wearing!!

Garden Kitty
03-31-2010, 03:28 PM
Update in USA Today on winter Olympians (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2010-03-30-winter-stars-update_N.htm) includes a section on Joannie, as well as a small section on Evan.

TalentedButHumble
03-31-2010, 09:08 PM
CSOI’s tweeted some pics, etc. of JoRo events. http://twitter.com/searsstarsonice and http://twitpic.com/photos/searsstarsonice

Oh, ETA:
http://www.torontosun.com/life/tofashionweek/2010/03/31/13426136-qmi.html
Looks fab. (Red's my fave color anyway, and love the hair.)

victorskid
03-31-2010, 11:18 PM
Oh, ETA:
http://www.torontosun.com/life/tofashionweek/2010/03/31/13426136-qmi.html
Looks fab. (Red's my fave color anyway, and love the hair.)

Note that Mira Leung also participated in this - photo in the gallery...

MR-FAN
04-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Story sharing time :)

Joannie is an unbelievable sweetheart, and all this is not getting to her head at all. She is so genuine and humble and sweet and inspiring, and I love her a billion time more than I did just a day ago. Yesterday she had an autograph signing session at the Eaton Centre in Toronto. They had a similar event last year, but it featured Kurt Browning and Jeff Buttle. I went to it last year, and I arrived about 5 minutes before the event, got in line, chatted with them and got their autographs, and it was great. Yesterday I arrived about an hour ahead of Joannie's scheduled appearance time, and the lineup at that point was about 10 times the amount of people who showed up last year. It basically went around the store and was increasing by the second! I was told that the cut-off of those guaranteed to see Joannie was about 50 people ahead of me :( But, hopeless dreamer that I am, I decided to give it a chance and I might get to meet her. Apparently even though she was scheduled to appear at 1:30, people started lining up at 9:30!! :eek:

Well, long story short, after the cut-off line was surpassed, the lineup kept getting closer and closer to her, and everyone around me had high hopes we might get to see her after all (btw, there were about 300+ people who lined up behind me!!! and they too decided to just wait and hope for the best :) ) well, she stayed past her schueled time, and was being sooo nice to everyone. I got to see her and tell her what an inspiration she has been to me, not just because of the Olympics, but because of how she's been representing Canadians and the sport of figure skating for the past 6+ years, and she seemed very touched by this. She was soooo nice and smily and polite to me - a random fan - and was paying full attention to me and not distracted by everyone around her. What was really great is that, as I was leaving with my autographed picture, The guy besides her said "Joannie, please we really have to go now. We're already late as it is" and she looked at the hundreds waiting, and looked at him feeling a bit guilty and said "Just a few more. They've been waiting for so long" That about sealed the deal for me. She is a terrific, terrific human being, and really cares about and appreciates her fans. I can't say I'm surprised, but I feel so lucky to have personally experienced that moment myself. No matter how much you like someone and want to believe that they are great, there's always a chance they might not be as kind hearted as you're lead to believe as a fan. She was everything I thought she is and then some.

And ps. she is soooooooooo TINY!!! TV does NOT do her justice AT ALL! I felt like if I shook her hands a little harder I might break them! And her arms always look very bulky and muscular on TV, and they looked so tiny and fragile up cloase! (She was wearing a black sleeveless top) I wonder how skaters like YuNa and Mao are like up close :eek:

Allez Joannie :)

masofs
04-01-2010, 12:45 AM

Joannie is an unbelievable sweetheart, and all this is not getting to her head at all. She is so genuine and humble and sweet and inspiring, and I love her a billion time more than I did just a day ago. Yesterday she had an autograph signing session at the Eaton Centre in Toronto. They had a similar event last year, but it featured Kurt Browning and Jeff Buttle. I went to it last year, and I arrived about 5 minutes before the event, got in line, chatted with them and got their autographs, and it was great. Yesterday I arrived about an hour ahead of Joannie's scheduled appearance time, and the lineup at that point was about 10 times the amount of people who showed up last year. It basically went around the store and was increasing by the second! I was told that the cut-off of those guaranteed to see Joannie was about 50 people ahead of me :( But, hopeless dreamer that I am, I decided to give it a chance and I might get to meet her. Apparently even though she was scheduled to appear at 1:30, people started lining up at 9:30!! :eek:

Well, long story short, after the cut-off line was surpassed, the lineup kept getting closer and closer to her, and everyone around me had high hopes we might get to see her after all (btw, there were about 300+ people who lined up behind me!!! and they too decided to just wait and hope for the best :) ) well, she stayed past her schueled time, and was being sooo nice to everyone. I got to see her and tell her what an inspiration she has been to me, not just because of the Olympics, but because of how she's been representing Canadians and the sport of figure skating for the past 6+ years, and she seemed very touched by this. She was soooo nice and smily and polite to me - a random fan - and was paying full attention to me and not distracted by everyone around her. What was really great is that, as I was leaving with my autographed picture, The guy besides her said "Joannie, please we really have to go now. We're already late as it is" and she looked at the hundreds waiting, and looked at him feeling a bit guilty and said "Just a few more. They've been waiting for so long" That about sealed the deal for me. She is a terrific, terrific human being, and really cares about and appreciates her fans. I can't say I'm surprised, but I feel so lucky to have personally experienced that moment myself. No matter how much you like someone and want to believe that they are great, there's always a chance they might not be as kind hearted as you're lead to believe as a fan. She was everything I thought she is and then some.

And ps. she is soooooooooo TINY!!! TV does NOT do her justice AT ALL! I felt like if I shook her hands a little harder I might break them! And her arms always look very bulky and muscular on TV, and they looked so tiny and fragile up cloase! (She was wearing a black sleeveless top) I wonder how skaters like YuNa and Mao are like up close :eek:

Aw thanks for sharing! I love her even more. :swoon:

lise
04-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Note that Mira Leung also participated in this - photo in the gallery...

She looks great!

Jot the Dot Dot
04-01-2010, 03:19 PM
My Dad died several years ago. But he was in his 70s, diabetic and obese. So while his death was tragic, it was not that unexpected. I did not know of Therese Rochette's long standing smoking. Even so, we have to grieve with Joannie.

alilou
04-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Thought I'd post this article about Joannie in the Heart Truth Fashion Show just because of this fabulous picture of Joannie - one of my faves

Joannie Rochette among celebs promoting heart health awareness
http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/liveit/article/1006440

pinky166
04-06-2010, 01:24 AM

Aww thanks for the info, she sounds really sweet! And yeah, I'd believe she's tiny. I always thought Miki Ando looked like one of the sturdier skaters on TV but when I met her last year I was so surprised, she was super skinny and petite (and really pretty :) ). I've heard cameras add 10 pounds, that may be true.

MikiAndoFan#1
04-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Thank you for sharing, MR-FAN! I, too, love Joannie even more after reading this! Je t'adore, Joannie!

:saint:

immoimeme
04-06-2010, 02:18 AM
Joannie looks FAAAAB, thanks to all for sharing the links to those pictures! :)

Ozzisk8tr
04-06-2010, 04:46 AM
There are very few skaters who seem to have the respect from almost all skating fans. Joannie is one of them (and even before her loss). Shen and Zhou are another. She is such a wonderful ambassador for skating, and Canada. Such a shame it took the situation that happened to make the rest of the world take notice of this lovely woman. Oh, she looks stunning in the red velvet dress.

piano18
04-06-2010, 05:06 AM
:cheer: red dress looks great on her.

Hope we can make this the new Rochette thread.