PDA

View Full Version : New Rochette article

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

Alvyne
03-11-2011, 01:25 AM
In last week 7Jours magazine, there was an interview with Joannie, and when asked about competing, she mentioned that she will be taking part in the Japan open next fall, but nothing about coming back to competitive skating next season. Sorry I can't scan the article.

tapper88
03-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Yeah, it's expensive. I work for my parents business though so I have an excuse to go ;) It sounds like a really good conference too- and Michelle Jean, wow. Amazing keynote speakers.

Sylvia
04-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Vancouver Sun article: Rochette will share her inspirational story at Surrey conference (http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Rochette+will+share+inspirational+story+Surrey+con ference/4573304/story.html) (one-day women's leadership conference called Defying Expectations on April 15)

Rochette said she will focus not only on her Olympic experience in 2010, but also on the many years of gruelling work and training it took to get to the podium.

"I talk a lot about being a Canadian lady in figure skating and how it has not been easy for us. No one has really paved the way," she said.

While Canadian male skaters have produced several champions -and, ultimately, role models -in recent years, the same has not been true for women. Indeed, Rochette's bronze-medal triumph in 2010 was a first for her sport in more than two decades.

"I want to share a little bit about how I came to believe in myself and gain confidence ... It came slowly. Finally, I wasn't afraid to say, 'I want to win,'" she said.

quebecoise
04-20-2011, 01:29 AM
No amateur competitions next year for Joannie (http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/autres-sports/patinage-artistique/201104/19/01-4391511-rochette-pourrait-participer-aux-jeux-de-2014.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B4_manchettes_231_a ccueil_POS3) but maybe she will come back for 2014 Olympics.

From the French article:
Rochette, qui a remporté le bronze aux Jeux olympiques de Vancouver moins d'une semaine après le décès de sa mère, affirme qu'elle ne fera pas de retour à la compétition la saison prochaine. Elle prévoit passer une autre saison sur le circuit professionnel.

MR-FAN
04-20-2011, 01:31 AM
Cyberpresse(French): No amateur competitions next year for Joannie (http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/autres-sports/patinage-artistique/201104/19/01-4391511-rochette-pourrait-participer-aux-jeux-de-2014.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B4_manchettes_231_a ccueil_POS3)

:wuzrobbed: :wuzrobbed: :wuzrobbed:

but maybe she will come back for 2014 Olympics.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Bailey_
04-20-2011, 03:27 AM
Don't hold your breath. I think it's fairly obvious that she is moving on and she certainly has a world of opportunity. No doubt, there are many wonderful things in store for Joannie in the years to come and sadly for fans, I don't think they are on the ice rink.

alilou
04-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Rochette loving life on tour, but keeping competitive door open for 2014
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5heELOwul3JajUzP2Sd_L8ocbrDIQ?docId=6613051

"But it's fun to perform with all the stars and be able to keep improving. I can still do all my jumps, I still love skating, and I'm lucky enough to do it as a job, and I was very happy to have work all year long."

"I would love to come back for the Olympics, but to do another four-year cycle I don't think is necessary," she said. "I don't think I need to compete this year or next year if I want to come back. It's still not a hard decision, but it will be harder at the end of 2012 and 2013 kicks in and I have to make a decision."

personwhoishere
04-20-2011, 09:46 PM
She is an absolutely beautiful person, inside and out. I hope she continues to find success and happiness in whatever she decides to pursue. :)

Cheylana
04-20-2011, 10:08 PM
"I would love to come back for the Olympics, but to do another four-year cycle I don't think is necessary," she said. "I don't think I need to compete this year or next year if I want to come back. It's still not a hard decision, but it will be harder at the end of 2012 and 2013 kicks in and I have to make a decision."
Ok, so she's leaving the door open a crack for a comeback for Sochi. Do it Joannie... just do it! :)

shutterbug
04-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Rochette, from Ile-Dupas, Que., said the fact a team event has been added to the 2014 Olympic program is enticing. A Canadian team with Patrick Chan, Rochette and ice dancers Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir would be a virtual lock for a medal in Sochi.

This surprises me. Not sure why, I just assumed the skaters would not be interested in doing a team event.

ros01
04-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Who wouldn't like another Olympic medal? :) As long as they can work the schedule out so it doesn't damage your chances at individual preparations too much.

alilou
04-22-2011, 06:09 PM
AFAIR the skaters seemed to have a blast at the first WTT in Japan. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that the skaters think a team event is a great idea.

RD
04-22-2011, 06:43 PM
This surprises me. Not sure why, I just assumed the skaters would not be interested in doing a team event.

:confused: I'd think they'd be thrilled at the prospect of a chance at another Olympic medal...traditionally skaters have had only one shot, while in several other sports you can really rack them up.

skfan
04-23-2011, 06:56 AM

that just makes me like joannie even more.

i was thinking canada would be a lock for gold in the team event--with joannie, chan, v/m, but then i remember plushenko and the russian wonder girls... and v/t... and i/k...

ok, so canada's a virtual lock for a team medal, a strong contender for gold :)

(prognosticating 3 years early)

shutterbug
04-23-2011, 03:57 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that the skaters think a team event is a great idea.

That’s ultimately the thing. Speedy isn’t exactly known for giving consideration to the skaters’ needs. Some of them are even minors y’know. ;) I’m fine with it as long as the skaters feel they’re capable of participating in another event. And, I’m more than fine with it if it lures Joannie back to eligible competition. :)