PDA

View Full Version : Frank Carroll eventually to relocate to a new rink near Palm Springs, CA

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11

peibeck
01-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Who cares what the demographics in PS is like?

I think it makes some difference because there needs to be a base of people to take skating lessons and have hockey leagues. I don't think too many 60-70 years would make up that base.

inthemiddle's info seems to indicate Palm Springs demographics are skewing younger than what has previously discussed in this conversation though. I have some friends who just moved out there, because the got an amazing deal on property. They are late 40s, so not likely to be taking skating lessons or playing hockey, but they love it... and aren't senior citizens yet either. :lol:

aliceanne
01-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Is Palm Springs a vacation destination? Maybe they are planning to do shows like Sun Valley. Fans of skating shows skew older.

Ice Castles must have some reason for building a rink there. I could see up-and-coming skaters going there with their coaches for consultations with Carroll, but is that enough to support a rink? If I were Carroll I would be ready to slow down, but maybe he's not.

portia
01-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Is Palm Springs a vacation destination? Maybe they are planning to do shows like Sun Valley. Fans of skating shows skew older.

Ice Castles must have some reason for building a rink there. I could see up-and-coming skaters going there with their coaches for consultations with Carroll, but is that enough to support a rink? If I were Carroll I would be ready to slow down, but maybe he's not.

Yes, PS is a vacation spot for sure. There are lots of L.A. people who go there on weekends or short trips especially when the weather in L.A. is bad or cold. I live in Santa Monica but sometimes drive to PS just to escape L.A., as PS still has a nice, small town feel. I'd certainly would go there for shows like the ones at Sun Valley....I like old people:lol:

kwanfan1818
01-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Yes to vacation destination, and very popular for Pacific Northwesterners. They also have a convention center, and I went there for work for some kind of tech show. It was in mid-late January, and it was a joy to be in sunshine for a few days after months of rain and drizzle.

MacMadame
01-20-2011, 07:06 PM
They are late 40s, so not likely to be taking skating lessons or playing hockey

Plenty of 40 somethings skate, both figure and hockey. Heck, I didn't really get into skating until I was 41.

luenatic
01-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Let's just be realistic. It is not easy to support an Olympic size skating facility in a city with population composes mostly of snow birds (from Canada and PNW) and 40s and up.

[ETA]

If we're going to use census to rationalize why PS is a good location for an Olympic size skating facility, then consider this:

- As of the 2000 census, there were 42,807 people, 20,516 households, and 9,457 families residing in the city.
- 16.3% of households had children under the age of 18 living with them.
- About 11.2% of families and 15.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.2% of those under age 18 and 6.8% of those age 65 or over.

In general, the well off people who live in PS are the retired folks. That's just the fact. Even if money is not a problem, do you think a city with 42K population can support an Olympics size rink? Did I mention skating is a very expensive sport?

OldGuy
01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
The greater Palm Springs area is quite large, with many young families down valley. Also, it is the full-time home to at least two International judges and quite a few former competitors and show skaters, as well as the vacation home of more. There is a fairly large hockey contingent that has been pushing for a proper rink for years. Not to mention that the cost of living is fairly reasonable and it is only 95 miles to LA.

The area is home to the Coachella Music Festival, the 5th large tennis tournament in the world (Indian Wells), the PS Film Festival, etc. etc. It may be thought of as a retirement community but it ain't all wheelchairs and walkers!!!

I am sure there are more than a few coaches freezing their a...s off elsewhere that would love to teach here. Yes, it does get hot in summer, but there is very little humidity, which makes it much more bearable and everyone has a pool.

Doubletoe
01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Even in L.A., which has a much higher population, rinks often struggle to stay in business. Danny Kwan originally tried to keep Artesia East-West Ice Palace a figure skating and public session rink, but learned in the first year of operation that you just cannot pay the bills without hockey. IIRC, the previous/existing rink in Palm Springs did not get enough hockey business to be profitable.

inthemiddle
01-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Let's just be realistic. It is not easy to support an Olympic size skating facility in a city with population composes mostly of snow birds (from Canada and PNW) and 40s and up.

[ETA]

If we're going to use census to rationalize why PS is a good location for an Olympic size skating facility, then consider this:

- As of the 2000 census, there were 42,807 people, 20,516 households, and 9,457 families residing in the city.
- 16.3% of households had children under the age of 18 living with them.
- About 11.2% of families and 15.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.2% of those under age 18 and 6.8% of those age 65 or over.

In general, the well off people who live in PS are the retired folks. That's just the fact. Even if money is not a problem, do you think a city with 42K population can support an Olympics size rink? Did I mention skating is a very expensive sport?

I don't think you can use a 2000 census in 2010. There were many changes in that time mainly because of the real estate prices. At that time people from Orange County were moving to Riverside County in big numers and in many cities around PS demographic change tremendously. For example changes in income for La Quinta:

The median income for a household in the city was $54,552, and the median income for a family was $56,848 (these figures had risen to $72,452 and $82,168 respectively as of a 2007 estimate
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Quinta,_California )

Doubletoe
01-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Here, how about 2009 data, then. No matter how you slice it, it still does not look like prime ice rink demographics. You need a sizeable resident population with kids and money. . .

Palm Springs metro area:
Population in July 2009: 48,184. (Population change since 2000: +12.6%)

Median resident age: 46.9 years
California median age: 33.3 years

Zip codes: 92262, 92263, 92264, 92292.

Estimated median household income in 2009: $42,930 (it was $35,973 in 2000)
Palm Springs: $42,930
California: $58,931
Estimated per capita income in 2009: $34,153

Average household size:
This city: 2.0 people
California: 2.9 people

Percentage of family households:
This city: 46.1%
Whole state: 68.9%

Read more:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Palm-Springs-California.html

Iceman
01-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Exactly how far along are they on this project? It seems it is always behind schedule in one way or another.

luenatic
02-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Finally get down to Palm Springs. Passed right by where the new ice rink will be. It's in Cathedral City. It was an old Coca Cola warehouse. Definitely not ready yet. 2 blocks away has several xxx adult shops.

Iceman
02-03-2011, 06:47 PM
I never imagined Palm Springs with xxx adult shops. lol

JerseySlore
02-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Yeah, those kinky elderly crowd :rofl:

Sylvia
02-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Desert Sun article (February 10, 2011) (http://www.mydesert.com/article/20110210/NEWS01/102100307/Duathlon-skating-events-win-support-from-Cathedral-City-council?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFrontpage)

The [Cathedral City] City Council voted 5-0 at its regular meeting to sponsor ... the grand opening of the Desert Ice Castle skating facility at 68-600 Perez Road.

The grand opening of the skating rink is tentatively scheduled for April 23, ...

In the end, the council approved a city Marketing Committee recommendation for a $10,000 sponsorship, but tacked on another $8,000 to install the city's logo under the ice for about a year.

The contribution will be dependent on whether organizers can confirm details about the event's date and anticipated guests, including 2010 Olympic gold medalist figure skater Evan Lysacek and legends Scott Hamilton and Peggy Fleming.