PDA

View Full Version : Frank Carroll eventually to relocate to a new rink near Palm Springs, CA

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

victoriaheidi
01-19-2011, 02:10 AM
I go to Palm Springs often. Where exactly is the rink?

AJ Skatefan
01-19-2011, 03:18 AM
You'd have to ask him that. Anyway he didn't stay. He moved on to a training center with other elite skaters and coaches.

Yes, I know. That still doesn't mean that Laws didn't want to go to Vancouver with Chan.

bardtoob
01-19-2011, 03:20 AM
That doesn't make any sense. Why would Chan relocate to Florida if there was nothing for him there?

http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2007/091007.shtml

There was a connection between Ozzie Colson and Laws, and I believe there was an assumption that Laws, who was a coach with a former OGMist, was going to be a natural fit. It was not, if for logistical reasons alone. Flying from Canada to Florida to train at a non-elite facility, in and of itself, made no sense.

Nothing wrong with Laws though. He probably lives in Florida because his joints probably ache in cold weather, which is probably the same reason Callaghan lives down there and Carroll is moving to Palm Springs. The old guard of elite coaches are aging fast and are susceptible to all infirmities of their generation, like slipping on ice and breaking hips, arthritis, age related cancers, etc. The hard part is that these coaches know things many younger coaches don't know, so there will be a huge void when they are gone.

kwanfan1818
01-19-2011, 03:49 AM
There was an article about how Chan and Laws connected after Colson died, maybe even at the funeral or memorial service.

While Laws looked committed to bringing Chan to Vancouver, he wasn't about to move from Florida to train him in one of the larger centers or start building up a different kind of training situation just to keep him there.

aliceanne
01-19-2011, 04:39 AM
Thank you bardtoob and kwanfan. My point was that this move could be a sign that Carroll is easing into retirement and that his priorities are shifting. She may need to find a new coach before Sochi whether she wants to or not.

Doubletoe
01-19-2011, 05:13 AM
Thank you bardtoob and kwanfan. My point was that this move could be a sign that Carroll is easing into retirement and that his priorities are shifting. She may need to find a new coach before Sochi whether she wants to or not.

Well, that's what coaches at the L.A. rinks were saying as soon as Frank announced his move. Considering that it was right after an Olympic season made it even more obvious.

I was at the Toyota Sports Center yesterday and overheard coaches saying the base had finally been built for the Palm Springs rink. . . I am not normally a pessimist, but everything I've read about this rink--and everything I know about the patronage needed to keep a rink in business--makes it hard for me to believe it will ever attract a lot of skaters. I hope I'm wrong.

A parent of one of Frank's students told me he is coaching in Riverside when weather conditions in Arrowhead are unfavorable. And yes, Mirai takes lessons with other coaches as well. Yesterday she was actually taking a solo dance lesson with another coach at Toyota Sports Center and seemed to be having fun with it. . .

victoriaheidi
01-19-2011, 06:04 AM
I was at the Toyota Sports Center yesterday and overheard coaches saying the base had finally been built for the Palm Springs rink. . . I am not normally a pessimist, but everything I've read about this rink--and everything I know about the patronage needed to keep a rink in business--makes it hard for me to believe it will ever attract a lot of skaters. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't think they'll have a good number of daily skaters or elites hanging around, no. But it's so hot out there that I don't see why casual visitors or residents wouldn't want to cool off on the ice (because there's got to be something other than the pool!).

bardtoob
01-19-2011, 06:09 AM
Interesting developments, but what is there to do but :watch:

Nationals and Worlds will be here soon enough.

Iceman
01-19-2011, 12:09 PM
I don't see this rink as lasting more than a few years. Maybe if Frank doesn't last till Sochi, Mirai will go coachless.

aliceanne
01-19-2011, 05:08 PM
I don't see this rink as lasting more than a few years. Maybe if Frank doesn't last till Sochi, Mirai will go coachless.

Mirai is one skater I can't see going to a competition alone (no tears, no tears) :)

Most coaches of elite skaters nowadays have extensive support systems, and Carroll has a reputation for dependability. I'm sure he won't leave her in the lurch whatever he decides.

victoriaheidi
01-19-2011, 05:12 PM

If Mirai wants to go until Sochi and has a reasonably decent shot of medaling there, I don't see why Frank would retire before then.

I can, however, see him retiring immediately AFTER Sochi.

luenatic
01-19-2011, 07:45 PM
But it's so hot out there that I don't see why casual visitors or residents wouldn't want to cool off on the ice (because there's got to be something other than the pool!).

As I said before, the average age of PS residents is 70s. I doubt the 'residents' will go ice skating to cool off...

inthemiddle
01-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Cathedral City demographic according to Wikipedia:

As reported in the most recent census, the city's population was distributed across all age groups, with 31.1% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 30.6% from 25 to 44, 17.3% from 45 to 64, and 12.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years.

victoriaheidi
01-19-2011, 09:13 PM
As I said before, the average age of PS residents is 70s. I doubt the 'residents' will go ice skating to cool off...

Well, I don't know, my 50-something uncle lives there, along with many of his friends who are around the same age. A lot of my friends go out for weekends (as do I), and we're all teenagers. Maybe there's a large population of elderly people, but the younger folks make their way down there!

portia
01-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Who cares what the demographics in PS is like? All I know is the weather is great there in the middle of winter...I can kick it in my flip flops and bikini tops and as added bonus my sinus allergy clears up in that desert air.