PDA

View Full Version : Frank Carroll eventually to relocate to a new rink near Palm Springs, CA

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

luenatic
04-02-2010, 03:05 PM
:rofl: at the thought of our statesmanlike Frank attending a white party ;)

You guys laugh all you want. Remember! Frank was a beef cake in those cheesy beach blanket Babylon movies back in the days. He was working in Hollywood before his career as a skating coach! :lol:

Seriously, Frank grew up with Hollywood star Tab Hunter and World Champion Ronnie Robertson. All of them took skating lessons from Maribel Vinson Owen. Thus the Hollywood connection.

Here is a pix of Tab, Ronnie and Maribel at the skating rink.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/904/tabhunter2.jpg

AnnM
04-05-2010, 05:16 AM
64.3 miles per Google maps. Lake Arrowhead is east of Arcadia..it's also up in the mountains above San Bernardino...so it can be an interesting drive during rain/snow storms.

I live about 30 miles from Lake Arrowhead and it is still a PITA hour-long drive. I can't imagine anyone wanting to commute there from Arcadia everyday. The last stretch of the drive involves a two-lane winding road, prone to dense fog, ice & snow during the winter.

AnnM
04-05-2010, 05:19 AM
Cathedral City is far, but from Arcadia, Mirai would not hit the worst traffic on the 10. She would take the 210 to the 57, which is fairly east of downtown LA. I still think, timewise, Arcadia to Cathedral City in light traffic would be equivalent to Arcadia to El Segundo in traffic. Even with early morning training, when the trip to El Segundo is bad, if Mirai were trying to get back to Arcadia at any time between 7 and 9 am, she would be facing a regular 1.5-2 hour drive.

She'd still hit pretty bad traffic on the 10, in the IE, just past Redlands through Calimesa. I've done that drive several times and it gets really bogged down.

tangerine_dream
04-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Traffic issues aside, I don't know too many parents (especially not Asian parents who without meaning to stereotype do tend to be on the protective side) who would want their newly licensed, inexperienced-at-driving daughter driving 98 miles *each way* on a busy California freeway. The 10 is full of accidents every day, there are loads of large trucks since it is a popular trading route...you just don't throw a 16 year old new driver in those types of driving circumstances for 100 miles each way. Neither on a daily nor on a weekly basis.

The drive up the mountain is also best left to people who are experienced drivers, it gets very windy and people speed /tailgate pretty bad in that 2-lane stretch. Trucks are also aplenty.

Anita18
04-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Traffic issues aside, I don't know too many parents (especially not Asian parents who without meaning to stereotype do tend to be on the protective side) who would want their newly licensed, inexperienced-at-driving daughter driving 98 miles *each way* on a busy California freeway. The 10 is full of accidents every day, there are loads of large trucks since it is a popular trading route...you just don't throw a 16 year old new driver in those types of driving circumstances for 100 miles each way. Neither on a daily nor on a weekly basis.

The drive up the mountain is also best left to people who are experienced drivers, it gets very windy and people speed /tailgate pretty bad in that 2-lane stretch. Trucks are also aplenty.
I remember going to Lake Arrowhead on a retreat once. Yeah, the drive is pretty scary. I wasn't even driving, but I got carsick on the way down. :lol: I could probably handle the drive now, but I definitely would not recommend it for a just-licensed driver. As a figure skater, she might be able to handle it a little better than most, since you do have to be alert to your surroundings and have fast reflexes and be able to hold your ground when need be. All traits that figure skaters have to have.

Lake Arrowhead definitely have cabins where skaters can stay if they're there long-term. I HIGHLY doubt Michelle Kwan was making the trip from Lake Arrowhead to Torrance every day. :P Mirai is also taking classes online, so she wouldn't even have to commute all that often if she didn't want to.

But why were we talking about Lake Arrowhead again? I thought Frank was moving to Palm Springs. I don't think there's any mountain driving there, although you do have to take the :yikes: 10 forever.

maureenfarone
04-05-2010, 01:11 PM
The original information was that Frank would teach a summer class at Toyota and then move to Lake Arrowhead until the new facility at Catherdral City is completed this fall. That's what triggered the comments about commuting to Lake Arrowhead. Even though the announcement said the new facility would open this fall, we all know how construction can bog down and then that opens the possibility of Frank staying at Lake Arrowhead much longer than a few months (maybe even through the winter).

Iceman
04-05-2010, 01:43 PM
someone should buy a plane for mirai or make one available for her use---problem solved
lmao

Eris
04-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Mirai's twitter:
"I really like current coach and wish that people wouldn't assume I'm going to get new one"

So, I think, she knows how to solve this problem?..

Anita18
04-05-2010, 06:06 PM
The original information was that Frank would teach a summer class at Toyota and then move to Lake Arrowhead until the new facility at Catherdral City is completed this fall. That's what triggered the comments about commuting to Lake Arrowhead. Even though the announcement said the new facility would open this fall, we all know how construction can bog down and then that opens the possibility of Frank staying at Lake Arrowhead much longer than a few months (maybe even through the winter).
Ah.

Still, there's the cabin thing. What did Michelle do while training at Lake Arrowhead? Didn't she start when she was even younger than Mirai? :lol:

nubka
04-05-2010, 07:37 PM
someone should buy a plane for mirai or make one available for her use---problem solved
lmao

I guess if somebody was actually going to do that, they would also have to provide a pilot to be at her disposal.

Money. money, money... :eek: :eek:

skatingfan5
04-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Ah.

Still, there's the cabin thing. What did Michelle do while training at Lake Arrowhead? Didn't she start when she was even younger than Mirai? :lol:Michelle (and her sister Karen) lived at Lake Arrowhead back in the day (in one of those cabins). Her father was the one who commuted from there.

Karen-W
04-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Small world, my niece was enrolled at Connections a couple years ago. For a variety of reasons she didn't continue but the family who introduced us to Connections have had both of their children enrolled for several years. The nice thing about Connections is that you can work through a lot of your course material as quickly or as slowly as you want each semester. Plus, you can also make special arrangements to have courses assigned during the summer (at least that's how it was two years ago, but I think they were planning on adding a regular summer school/semester last summer). It is entirely conceivable to me that Mirai could already be far enough ahead in her credits to graduate a semester early. I have no idea whether or not that's the case but it's completely within the realm of possibility, even if she's not a book-ish type by nature she's still driven and motivated which is really what gets a person successfully through online schooling. I wouldn't be too worried about the school aspect of the move to Palm Springs. The rest of it... Well, I'd rather she move out to Palm Springs and live than make that sort of commute every day or even several times a week.

tangerine_dream
04-06-2010, 04:49 AM
From what I understand Frank will stop teaching at Toyota at the end of this week and will be in Lake Arrowhead until the summer where he will teach Summer of Excellence program, after which he'll either return to Lake Arrowhead until the new rink is ready, or go straight there if it is ready (unlikely IMHO- building permits and the like take AGES to get in California).

The rink definitely has cabins for skaters to stay, I just don't think Mirai would want to do that because of her mom's treatments. I also doubt her mom would go with her because there's not much in the way of expert medical facilities out there.

I guess we'll see how it plays out. Lake Arrowhead sure is great this time of year though.

pinky166
04-06-2010, 06:03 PM
From what I understand Frank will stop teaching at Toyota at the end of this week and will be in Lake Arrowhead until the summer where he will teach Summer of Excellence program, after which he'll either return to Lake Arrowhead until the new rink is ready, or go straight there if it is ready (unlikely IMHO- building permits and the like take AGES to get in California).

The rink definitely has cabins for skaters to stay, I just don't think Mirai would want to do that because of her mom's treatments. I also doubt her mom would go with her because there's not much in the way of expert medical facilities out there.

I guess we'll see how it plays out. Lake Arrowhead sure is great this time of year though.

I think Mirai will be all over the country performing in SOI for the rest of April, so I guess she'll figure out what the plan is when she returns home in May.

Sylvia
04-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Nagasu has worked previously with Lori Nichol on choreographing programs in May. She is currently scheduled for all the Stars on Ice shows in April, plus 2 L.A. area shows in late May.

From what I understand Frank will stop teaching at Toyota at the end of this week and will be in Lake Arrowhead until the summer where he will teach Summer of Excellence program,
Yes, and the Summer of Excellence program dates at Toyota (in El Segundo) are June 14-July 30, 2010.