PDA

View Full Version : Frank Carroll eventually to relocate to a new rink near Palm Springs, CA

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

Spareoom
03-31-2010, 04:47 AM
Oh my, all this talk about Mirai's current and possible future commute is giving me bad flashbacks of when my family lived in Southern California two years ago. We lived in the Riverside area, but our church was in Culver City. We'd have to drive an hour and a half there and back, and it was brutal. And we only did it once a week! I can't IMAGINE someone doing that kind of drive every single day. And we weren't even as far east as Palm Springs; that was an additional 45 minutes.

I'd feel deeply for Mirai if she had to do any kind of commute like that. The freeways out there are brutal.

Lanie
03-31-2010, 04:50 AM
Riverside to Culver City?! :yikes: I'd kill something after doing that drive twice.

Anita18
03-31-2010, 05:01 AM
Oh my, all this talk about Mirai's current and possible future commute is giving me bad flashbacks of when my family lived in Southern California two years ago. We lived in the Riverside area, but our church was in Culver City. We'd have to drive an hour and a half there and back, and it was brutal. And we only did it once a week! I can't IMAGINE someone doing that kind of drive every single day. And we weren't even as far east as Palm Springs; that was an additional 45 minutes.

I'd feel deeply for Mirai if she had to do any kind of commute like that. The freeways out there are brutal.
I know someone here at another department who does a 1.5-hr commute every day. :scream: Yeah, I know yards and big houses are nice, but not THAT nice!

It's not necessarily the freeways themselves that are brutal (or maybe that's just me since I'm used to driving them :P), it's the sitting-in-gridlock-why-am-I-wasting-so-many-hours-of-my-life-for-this part that's the most frustrating for me. I suppose if Mirai had another person driving, she'd be able to do homework or something at least a little more engaging than staring at the car in front of you.

Bogie
03-31-2010, 07:14 AM
I don't know what Frank was thinking in that interview with Hersh, regarding the equal distance between Arcadia/El Segundo and Arcadia/Cathedral City. The 10 freeway is a nightmare anytime of day out in that area, thanks to all the overbuilding going on in San Bernardino and Riverside counties. Not to mention the fun of driving through the blazing hot desert, and I hope that the Nagasus have a solid car that can handle that rough drive. Finally, at least when one commutes from Arcadia to El Segundo there are a number of routes to choose from, including surface streets and the Metrolink. There is only one route out to the desert.

I would guess that if Mirai does indeed have a sponsor, arrangements will be made for her and her mom to live out there. There are excellent medical facilities nearby for her mom, including Loma Linda University Medical Center.

Squibble
03-31-2010, 07:17 AM
Phil Hersh's latest blog describes a conversation with Carroll concerning Mirai:

'"From where she lives, it takes about the same time to get to Cathedral City as it does to (Toyota),'' Carroll said.'

:eek: Does he really have a second home in Palm Springs? He sounds like someone who never goes east of La Cienega!

skateycat
03-31-2010, 07:23 AM
64.3 miles per Google maps. Lake Arrowhead is east of Arcadia..it's also up in the mountains above San Bernardino...so it can be an interesting drive during rain/snow storms.

Interesting is an interesting choice of adjective for a drive that scares the bejeezus out of me in the wintertime. My in-laws have a house in Lake Arrowhead and they like to have Thanksgiving or Christmas there. The novelty has worn off, though several years ago I had the marvelous opportunity of skating an 8am freestyle session at Ice Castle.

tangerine_dream
03-31-2010, 07:36 AM
Phil Hersh's latest blog describes a conversation with Carroll concerning Mirai:

'"From where she lives, it takes about the same time to get to Cathedral City as it does to (Toyota),'' Carroll said.'

The blog also contains a quote from Evan indicating that if he does continue, Carroll's move is not a problem.

Frank's lived in the area long enough to know better than to say that it takes "about the same time". Arcadia to Palm Springs is 100 miles. The 10 is nasty just about any time of day, except maybe 3pm which is likely to be a time when Mirai is on the ice, not on the road.

Arcadia to El Segundo is a measly 35 miles, which you can easily access by shooting straight down the 110 freeway. It's rarely crowded going in that direction except passing through downtown at 5pm but even so, it doesn't take the 2 and a half hours that it would to drive 100 miles on the 10.

Good thing winter has passed and the new rink will be open before the next snow season. You coudn't pay me to strap on the chains and drive down that mountain in snowy conditions. No way. With that said, Frank should just stay at Lake Arrowhead...it's way nicer than Palm Springs and that rink hasn't had anything going for itself in quite a while.

luenatic
03-31-2010, 04:58 PM
The 10 is nasty just about any time of day, except maybe 3pm which is likely to be a time when Mirai is on the ice, not on the road.

What about 4:30am? Most of our skaters start (on the ice) by 5:30am.

ChibiChibi
03-31-2010, 05:40 PM
What about 4:30am? Most of our skaters start (on the ice) by 5:30am.

I think it's impossible to commute to Cathedral City from Arcadia on daily basis no matter what time of the day you drive. Besides, Frank doesn't teach in early morning sessions.

Mirai works (worked?) with Ken Congemi when Frank isn't available, so she may still work with Ken @ Toyota, and goes to see Frank once or twice a week. She usually works with Frank from Tuesday to Friday since Frank spends almost every weekend in Palm Springs where his home is.

Toyota Center just gave her a lifetime free pass to their facility, so I hope she can still train there.

reckless
03-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Cathedral City is far, but from Arcadia, Mirai would not hit the worst traffic on the 10. She would take the 210 to the 57, which is fairly east of downtown LA. I still think, timewise, Arcadia to Cathedral City in light traffic would be equivalent to Arcadia to El Segundo in traffic. Even with early morning training, when the trip to El Segundo is bad, if Mirai were trying to get back to Arcadia at any time between 7 and 9 am, she would be facing a regular 1.5-2 hour drive.

Sylvia
04-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Hersh: Skater Nagasu says [via text message ;)] she will move with coach (http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2010/04/by-philip-hershgot-a-couple-text-messages-today-from-a-very-busy-mirai-nagasu-in-response-to-a-question-i-asked-her-about-the.html)

ebayj
04-02-2010, 04:57 AM
If Kwan's family could make it work with two girls in elite skating, I'm sure Mirai's family will find a way. The Coachella Valley is really cheap for just about everything compared to LA, and once she has her drivers license it should be no big deal. I suspect her mother's cancer may influence some of this, but hopefully it was caught early.

Mirai is able to make a lot of money now, given her higher Q factor after the Olympics. She would have been better off with a Worlds medal, so she will need to deliver in the 2010-2011 season. But overall, her stock is way, way up. The US and global press are continuously hungering for the "the next one" from the US. It also sounds like Cathedral City will not be done for another year or so, so she has time.

Regarding the White Party, it has been a big to do in Palm Springs for decades, as has the Dinah. The one-two punch in the desert in the spring for the GLBT gang and our friends.

Dinah (just finished):
http://www.thedinah.com/

WP2010:
http://www.jeffreysanker.com/

UMBS Go Blue
04-02-2010, 06:30 AM
:rofl: at the thought of our statesmanlike Frank attending a white party ;)

IceJunkie
04-02-2010, 07:24 AM

:lol: Well....

Ozzisk8tr
04-02-2010, 07:53 AM

:eek: Oh my, the mind boggles when you think of how many of the people dress "appropriately" at a White Party. How would Frank dress?