PDA

View Full Version : Frank Carroll eventually to relocate to a new rink near Palm Springs, CA

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Cheylana
03-29-2010, 06:48 PM
She's turning 17 in two weeks so by the time the rink opens she'll be 19 and would likely be fine living by herself, she might even like getting away.
The rink opens this fall so she'll still be 17, right? :confused:

pinky166
03-29-2010, 06:50 PM
The rink opens this fall so she'll still be 17, right? :confused:

I thought they said in 2 years? I'm confused. But how far is Lake Arrowhead from Arcadia, anyone know?

Helenista
03-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Lake Arrowhead is about 50 miles from Arcadia, which means it is doable but the freeway that goes there can be a real pain. It can take a long time in traffic but if she can pick and choose her travel times it might be OK. I sure wouldn't want to do that every day though, traffic or not. She's been going from Arcadia to El Segundo which is awful too so...?

I believe Mirai is still a member at the Pasadena FSC and could possibly get ice time there a couple of days a week if she can practice on her own. That is only a few miles from Arcadia.

Rafter
03-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Lots of skaters move away from home to train. Why couldn't Mirai?

Coco
03-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Isn't mirai's mom beginning cancer treatment soon? Not the best time to leave home.

Lacey
03-29-2010, 07:39 PM
If I am not mistaken, her mother is sick, that might have some influence on whether or not she will move.

ETA: Coco beat me to it.

BittyBug
03-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Everyone's talking about Mirai, but what about Evan? I wouldn't be surprised if he's planning to retire from amateur competition, but he hasn't made any such announcement yet.

bardtoob
03-29-2010, 09:44 PM
I do not think that Evan thinks he will get a fair shake in Sochi.

barbk
03-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Everyone's talking about Mirai, but what about Evan? I wouldn't be surprised if he's planning to retire from amateur competition, but he hasn't made any such announcement yet.

I managed to forget about him. Hmmm. He owns a house in LA, doesn't he? Palm Springs is nice for the retired set, but I never found it to be a hotbed of activity of great interest to twenty-somethings. I'd also pay real money to not have to live there anytime between May 1 and Oct. 15th. Hot, hot, hot.

reckless
03-29-2010, 10:11 PM
It's not like Mirai did not already have a significant commute to training. Mirai's family lives in the San Gabriel Valley, which is east of Los Angeles. To get to El Segundo, she probably has a 40-minute to an hour drive in good traffic conditions. Her high school is 40 miles away from El Segundo. In bad traffic, that drive would probably take her 2 hours.

Palm Springs is about 100 miles away. Farther, but for the most part, she probably would not face much traffic. I'm not sure that is something she would want to do long term, but Miari's long-term plans will probably depend on whether she wants to go to college right away. It seems to me that this is the best time for Frank to make a move. It's the beginning of a new Olympic cycle, so skaters have time to make a move and plan for the next four years.

pinky166
03-29-2010, 10:19 PM
It's not like Mirai did not already have a significant commute to training. Mirai's family lives in the San Gabriel Valley, which is east of Los Angeles. To get to El Segundo, she probably has a 40-minute to an hour drive in good traffic conditions. Her high school is 40 miles away from El Segundo. In bad traffic, that drive would probably take her 2 hours.

Palm Springs is about 100 miles away. Farther, but for the most part, she probably would not face much traffic. I'm not sure that is something she would want to do long term, but Miari's long-term plans will probably depend on whether she wants to go to college right away. It seems to me that this is the best time for Frank to make a move. It's the beginning of a new Olympic cycle, so skaters have time to make a move and plan for the next four years.

This is a fair point. I could see Mirai potentially living out in Palm Springs during the week and then she could visit her family on the weekends. She is old enough to get her licsence now and she could get her hours done over the summer when she doesn't have school. Then she could just make the drive home whenever she wants to see her parents, a 2 hour drive is not a big deal once a week. As for going to and from Lake Arrowhead, that would be a pain but if it's just temporary I think it's doable, especially if Mirai gets her liscence soon and would be the one doing the driving.

luenatic
03-29-2010, 10:24 PM
but I never found it to be a hotbed of activity of great interest to twenty-somethings... Hot, hot, hot.

That depends... Palm Springs is also a hot bed for *ahem* white parties for the 'boys'. Your ending statement "hot, hot, hot" is right about those white parties! :lol:

milanessa
03-29-2010, 10:29 PM
... those white parties! :lol:

What's a white party?

Anita18
03-29-2010, 10:35 PM
This is a fair point. I could see Mirai potentially living out in Palm Springs during the week and then she could visit her family on the weekends. She is old enough to get her licsence now and she could get her hours done over the summer when she doesn't have school. Then she could just make the drive home whenever she wants to see her parents, a 2 hour drive is not a big deal once a week. As for going to and from Lake Arrowhead, that would be a pain but if it's just temporary I think it's doable, especially if Mirai gets her liscence soon and would be the one doing the driving.
Unless her parents are like mine and didn't want me driving on freeways (let alone LA freeways) for the first like, 2 years of me having my license. :rofl: Or really, ever, since my dad still tells me to avoid freeway driving. I just ignore him because I know I'm good at it. :P

carriecmu0503
03-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Unless her parents are like mine and didn't want me driving on freeways (let alone LA freeways) for the first like, 2 years of me having my license. :rofl: Or really, ever, since my dad still tells me to avoid freeway driving. I just ignore him because I know I'm good at it. :P

And there is also the fact that she is not even 17 yet? Where would she live? The more important question may be with whom would she live? Many parents would not let their 17 year old, still in high school kid live alone.